jinxdancer9

Feb 2, 2003
Hey guys...I know you are probably not used to this, seeing as all you ever talk about is bikes...but this has to do with them...so here I go. My boyfriend's been a member of this site for a while now, and he's been into dirtbiking since he was a little kid. The only thing is, I don't know much about the whole "biking thing". He's mentioned so many things and I can't understand a word he is saying. So what I'm asking you all is this...if you have any advice to help me try and impress him by learning a few things, that'd be great. One day I just want to shoot something back at him to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about instead of always having a blank stare on my face. Don't get me wrong, I know a little about biking, but not nearly as much as he does. I don't know what you guys are going to respond with, but any information or advice would be great. This whole thing is just kind of for fun...so don't make it too complicated...just lend me a helping hand:) After all, according to my boyfriend, this site is pretty cool when it comes to replying to people. Thanks

jinxdancer9

Feb 2, 2003
Hey guys...I know you are probably not used to this, seeing as all you ever talk about is bikes...but this has to do with them...so here I go. My boyfriend's been a member of this site for a while now, and he's been into dirtbiking since he was a little kid. The only thing is, I don't know much about the whole "biking thing". He's mentioned so many things and I can't understand a word he is saying. So what I'm asking you all is this...if you have any advice to help me try and impress him by learning a few things, that'd be great. One day I just want to shoot something back at him to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about instead of always having a blank stare on my face. Don't get me wrong, I know a little about biking, but not nearly as much as he does. I don't know what you guys are going to respond with, but any information or advice would be great. This whole thing is just kind of for fun...so don't make it too complicated...just lend me a helping hand After all, according to my boyfriend, this site is pretty cool when it comes to replying to people. Thanks

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
first some questions to you:
a) what specific bike model does he have?
b) what kind of dirtbiking does he do? motocross, enduro, trial, woods, singletrack, dirt track, motard, hill climb...?
c) does he now or did he ever race?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
^^^^Good advice^^^^
If your boyfriends bike has a 500 in it, don't try to ride it!  If you see a ride scheduled near you that is posted in the Places to Ride forum, make it up to the ride an introduce yourselves.  Chances are pretty good that there willl be a good beginer level bike there and plenty of folks willing to give you a start.  Riding in the dirt is addictive and you won't look back.  They don't refer the throttle as the "Fun Handle" for nothing.

PS.  Don't forget Dirtweek.  A memorable vacation for sure.

lisa'sxr4

Jul 16, 2002
Great advice regarding giving dirtbiking a try. Hubby wanted to ride with his boss, so he bought a bike. I took one ride & had to get a bike for myself. Although our riding levels and tastes are different, we enjoy getting away for the weekend together!

jinxdancer9

Feb 2, 2003
Pokie---as for the bike model, I'm not positive, but I think it might be something like...a KDX 125 or something? Does that sound familiar? Or maybe a KDX85...every time he talks about his bikes...all these numbers come up and I get confused on which particular one he has. As for what type, he likes trails, hills, woods, etc...lots of wilderness riding...I'm not sure if he's tried it, but he keeps talking about motorcross...all of these things which are confusing to me. Currently, he hasn't raced. He is talking about racing sometime in April though...

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'll try to post a few terms to help out...

KX = Kawasaki race version dirt bike (mainly for motocross riding)

KDX = Kawasaki offroad version dirt bike (mainly for wood and trail riding, may have a headlight)

KX125 = Kawasaki with a 125 cc (cubic centimeter) motor (125 cc is the size of the cylinder)

Motocross = Closed course where riders start together out of a starting gate then ride x amount of laps and the first one to the finish line after x laps wins. Tracks usually have obstacles like jumps (tabletops, doubles, triples, step-ups, step-downs) and whoops (stutter bumps, kind of like ski mogules).

Tabletop = jump that looks like a table /------\

Double = jump with a takeoff and landing jump, nothing in the middle /\.../\

Triple = jump with a takeoff and 2 landings /\..../\.../\

Step-up (down) = like a table top with the landing part higher (lower)

Wheelie = riding with the front tire raised off the ground

Clutch = a lever pulled in to shift the bike into different gears (to go different speeds, kinda like a car)

Suspension = springs on the front and rear of the bike that make it easier to go over bumps, jumps, etc

eibellk

Jan 13, 2003
Offer to pit for him and his buddies next time he goes out. Any little thing you can do there will be great and he'll love the photos you take while he rides. Don't be afraid to get dirty or pour gas. Don't be to big to make sandwiches, clean goggles and get beer - that is what the pit crew does. Afterwards just agree with him on how great his jump was or how fast he thinks he is - no matter how outragous the claim. Good rule of thumb here is "if you daon't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Finally, listed n to him cry and be supportive of his pain (he is sure to be in it).

Your exposutre to the sport will teach you more than we can combined. Once you are out there and learn about it, you can decide if this is something YOU would like to do.

Chicks on dirt bikes are SO COOL!

Kurt.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by eibellk
Afterwards just agree with him on how great his jump was or how fast he thinks he is - no matter how outragous the claim. Your exposutre to the sport will teach you more than we can combined. Once you are out there and learn about it, you can decide if this is something YOU would like to do.

Chicks on dirt bikes are SO COOL!

Kurt.

I would raz the fire out of him for being spodely.  Chance are he'll ask you to do better and there's your chance.  Talking "smack" is part of the fun.

jinxdancer9

Feb 2, 2003
Hey guys... I found out some new info. He has a KDX200, and it's basically in pieces. The motor is actually totally disconnected from his bike. He's trying to restore it now, in time for an upcoming ride. I believe it's an 86? or somewhere in the 80's for sure...Don't hold me to it, but I think one of his problems now is finding the right parts for a decent price. Anyways, I have a specific question. 2-stroke, 4-stroke? Don't get it...please explain. Thx

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Jinxdancer9; you are in luck! The '86 KDX is one of the best bikes ever made, and just right for a begginer type lady to ride, should you ever wish to.
What parts does he need? Someone here might be able to help!

eibellk

Jan 13, 2003
2 and 4 stroke referres to the number of times the piston rises and falls for each firing of the spark plug. This effects the way the motor performs and the handling characteristics of the motorcycle. Your car is a 4 stroke. Your BF's KDX is a 2 stroke. 4 strokes tend to be heavier (due to increased number of parts and their required locations) and 2 strokes tend to be higher revving and quicker application of power. A good web site for more information is www.howstuffworks.com!

Kurt.

jinxdancer9

Feb 2, 2003
Kurt-thanks for the info...but you're already using words I don't understand. Now, the examples about my car and his bike are good...but I don't know what a piston is...I mean, like, how many times does that thing rise per minute? What makes it work? What's it's purpose? Is it big, small? Where is it located on his bike?

Top Bottom