Women's Cross Country Riding/Racing School - Spring '05

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Our club just completed the Furnace HS - with 70 women riders it was the largest of its kind in the US. As we began planning for next year and coming up with ideas to promote Women's Cross Country racing, the concept of a 2-day Cross Country Riding/Racing school has developed. The intent would be to get as many ladies together for a weekend of riding, training, seminars, coaching and skills tests. It would be in the May time frame in Sacramento. We would bring in some of the top racers in the country to support the event. Our target would be 75 riders and we would do everything possible to keep the price reasonable (sponsors, etc.). A similar but much smaller scale activity took place in Oregon as few years ago and it was very popular.

Any interest?

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Absolutely!!!

The Oregon School was a wonderful event on many levels. Learning skills, meeting new people, being around so many women riders and seeing how accomplished they were - it was all good. We met folks there we're still friends with.

Keep us posted for sure.
-SusanP.
CRF250x

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
If it's middle to late May, count me and possibly 3 or 4 of my friends in! Pretty much every woman I know has asked me when I'm doing the Oregon ride school again.

Leann

Susie

Sep 27, 2004
I am a single track rider looking for a women's group to ride with. I'd be interested to hear about what you have planned!
Susie
KDX 220

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I would do it, if I lived on the West Coast...sounds like fun though!!

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
Oh boy, yeah, if I lived over yonder, I'd be all over that! Know anyone on the east coast that would do something like that?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I bet if you East Coast girls just flew out we could round up some spare bikes for you to ride.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Sacramento is easy and cheap to get to by air... who knows, maybe we can get a manufacturer to bring out a couple demo bikes!

Only 12 hours into this idea and I already have 2 nationally ranked racers showing significant interest in participating as coaches and teachers.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
"just fly out..." lol, I JUST got married!! I actually have bills now!! I did before, but I mean real bills..."grown up" bills! Rent, Utilities, cable...etc...
hmm...STILL it would be fun!! :)

Dede

May 23, 2004
Sounds like a great idea in the works. One of these times I would love to go to one these big gatherings. It is a pain though since they do seem to take place so far away from me. But who knows what could happen by May. I'll keep checking back to this thread to get the latest. :)

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
Hi Dennie,

I am interested in getting in on this as well. I have participated in the OR events which have been an awesome experience and know that if you bring in the Pros, we will learn a lot. Thanks for thinking of this!

Jennifer

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
My wife is very interested based on what she heard/read about Oregon. My concerns are that there is a true 'beginner' level and it's kept at a relatively low stress level. Of course I'd be there to offer encouragement and manual labor for all the participants:)

Brian

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Our intent is to have both a "riding improvement" section that will be separated into skill levels - including beginners, and a true "racers" section for those wanting to learn more about cross country racing and those associated skills. This is still in the developmental stage but will be an AMA sanctioned 2-day event sponsored by our club. So far topics being discussed for the event include:
* Nutrition
* Bike Set-up
* Race Starts
* Mud and Ruts
* Hills
* Cornering
* Passing
* Race Strategy
* Saturday evening BBQ

We may have access to a new training center at the park for beginners.

I also want to be clear, this is not currently associated with the past classes in Oregon. Those folks did a wonderful job (my wife and daughter attended), I was simply noting the popularity of a women's only event!

More to come...

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
Dennie, I think it is a good idea as long as there is some sort of garantie that the women will not become faster than their respective husbands after the class... :p :laugh: :joke:

Pierre

ChaCha

Apr 20, 2004
Yes, Yes, Yes, I would love an all women's weekend training session. Sacramento is only 6 hours away. Would we have to bring our bikes? And what do we do with our Bfriends? Can they help etc, or should I just come alone? Hopefully my face would have healed completely from my last crash.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
We welcome spouses, boyfriends, etc. as part of the peanut gallery. They can watch for free, if they want to help it will cost them $500 per day... just kidding, we have found however that riders learn better when their significant others stay out of the picture - just a little way!

We may have some bikes available, but generally speaking riders need to bring their own.

The rest of the park will be open for riding during the weekend, so have your supporters bring their bikes too.

Pierre - we could provide the "wife can not be faster than the husband at the end of the class" guarantee that you ask for. However that would require us to find a way to slow Jennifer down! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
LocoCD said:
.....Only 12 hours into this idea and I already have 2 nationally ranked racers showing significant interest in participating as coaches and teachers.

Hey, Dennie!

I am now a certified "helper/assistant/goferboy" for Women's Riding Clincs having served under Nicole/Kerrie, and Mercedes G. this last summer, at various riding schools.

I would be more than happy, since I will have to haul "The Ant" :ride:
down any way, to help out again in this capacity if so desired.

Susan's faithful gun-bearer, randu

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hmm, I'd be tempted to drive down too. I think it's a great idea and time and finances did not allow me to participate in the Oregon schools.

NW ladies, any carpooling offers? Bbbom, can I pry you away to go with me? Just think . . . you and I, road trip with the bikes . . . hope there's no tequila along the way.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
I will personally add a free 5th of the best tequila availale for the participant driving the longest distance!

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
LocoCD said:
I will personally add a free 5th of the best tequila availale for the participant driving the longest distance!

Well, that will certainly make "The Ant" happy....

We certainly enjoyed winning last year! :worship:

Cheers! - RandyB

Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
I would be interested. I'm in San Diego, so it's only about 8 hours. I'm driving to Reno for that big ride, which is nearly 10 hours - Sacramento would be a breeze! And I'm beginning beginner, too, so I'm glad to hear there will be help for us! :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom