GirlriderMOM

Aug 19, 2001
8/29 UPDATE

Nicole started the day a little cranky. After two days of competition and pressure to get the bike readied in 10 minutes did not set well. The course was different today but still long and slick, rough roads. There was a steep hill (terrain like the garden just being tilled) and a very difficult rock that you had to launch the bike to get over. But she or Amanda have not houred out. Amanda is riding great and having a good time. She is just a little behind Nicole as far as points.

Suzy is improving but will require a long recovery. Her husband (Darryl) says she is anxious to leave the hospital but she will not be able to for a few more days.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Thanks Bert! I don't know about anyone else, but I look forward to these updates every day! :)

Can't blame Nicole on the stress level-- the ISDE is as mentally tough as it is physically tough. Keep up the good work, ladies! Nicole, re-read your jersey for inspiration!

Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
I'm with you on that, Lori. I really appreciate Bert's updates and look forward to them. I haven't been this hooked on something in . . . well, I don't think ever.

I can't imagine being a LITTLE tense and testy after two days of competition because I know I'd be an EXTREMELY difficult person be around cause I don't handle competition well. When I think about the abuse their bodies and bikes are enduring in this race, the thought of only ten minutes to ready your bike for the next day to me sounds too minimal. I'd be a wreck myself.

Keep up the great work Nicole and Amanda!

Gosh, so she does sweat! :p

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
:)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Didja notice those DRN stickers on Nicole's and Amanda's front fenders?
(Plus the sticker on Amanda's helmet got nice placement in the photo!) :) :) :cool:

Last edited:

GirlriderMOM

Aug 19, 2001
8/30 UPDATE

They are still hanging in there. They really have no way to improve so they are taking longer brakes to concentrate on maintaining their bikes so they can be there for the finish. It did rain for a while which made the course somewhat different than yesterday. The course seems to be longer than they anticipated. It seems to be the same length as the first two days, approximately 195 miles.

Nicole says to tell those who understand "She wore her yellow jersey".

Suzy is doing much better.:) The tubes have been removed and she is setting up and of course, seems more cheerful.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
I wish the best for Nicole and Amanda...keep your spirits high, and go for it!
and am happy to hear that Suzy is ok, and will make a full recovery.
thanks to Bert for the updates..
I don't know anyone since I'm new, but I almost feel as if I do :)

GirlriderMOM

Aug 19, 2001
8/30 UPDATE

The most brutal day ever. They experienced a downpour of rain during the race resulting in a lot of mud and the impending results. Then there was the rocky hill Nicole was having difficulty getting up. She was working very hard, keeping the motor running and pushing the bike and breathing antifreeze she thought she would pass out. Not soon after this hill, there was a sharp turn and up another impossibly steep hill. She said it was something she would have never tried but this is the ISDE and the object is at least to finish. And then, another steep hill where she got out of control and ran into a spectator. After apologizing, she was on her way again. She went to the bottom of the hill and waited her turn to again try. There were so many people trying to attempt the hill, the officials ruled that part of the race out and led the riders to another place they could assume the race. Amanda had taken time to repair her tire and arrived at the hill about the time they were rerouted. After the race Nicole took her impound time to clean the motorcycle because there was so much mud getting in the chain it could have meant her causing harm to the bike.

Suzy says "Thanks to everyone for their concern". She will be more in touch when she arrives home. She would like to make that arrival today but when she spoke to the airline about the cost of a medically assisted flight, she decided $60,000 was too much to pay.

Nicole is wearing Suzy's helmet tomorrow in her honor.

One more short day tomorrow and "The End".:confused:

GirlriderMOM

Aug 19, 2001
9/1 FINAL INSTALLMENT

Nicole's words were 'WE DID IT'. They survived six torturous days.;) The course was short today with a six lap motocross for the finish. Amanda and Nicole were on the same number today so they rode together until the moto and Amanda left Nicole behind. In spite of the fact that she fell during this final phase, she still beat Nicole. CONGRATULATIONS GIRLS. I think it takes a lot of courage for women to attempt this grueling test.

I would like to thank all of you who read the updates and responded. You are a great bunch of people. Perhaps someday we can do this again. I also wish Suzy the best in her recovery process and hopefully she will be back on her motorcycle soon.

As Nicole's mom, I would like to thank everyone who contributed to her being able to enjoy this event. God bless you.:)

KEEP THE RUBBER IN THE MUD.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
ALLLL RIIIGGGHHHT! Way to go, ladies! Woo hoo!

Now, go take a vacation! You deserve it. :)

Thanks for the woman-on-the-spot updates, Bert! We appreciate you taking the time to keep us informed.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Thanks also for the updates.
Ladies congratulations on riding something the vast majority of us could only dream about. You are champions to us regardless of your final placement. Just making the team qualifies each of you:)
Suzy heal quick and get back home.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Congratulations, that is really something to be proud of!!

Good luck to Suzy in her healing.

Top Bottom