Women's Riding Apparel

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Yesterday, I received the Fall/Winter 2008 Rocky Mountain MC Catalog in my mailbox.

This evening I started scanning through it, looking for ideas of things to ask for as Christmas Gifts. The first few pages of the catalog are filled with pants, jerseys, and gloves.

I get to a page of women's Fox gear - it's got BUTTERFLIES on it. I think to myself "Cute, but not for dirt bike riding." Then I get to the Thor gear - it's pink, it's purple, it's got pretty cursive writing on it. Great... :ugg: But wait, it gets better, the MSR gear has stars on it, and it's called STARLET. WTF? :yell:

Am I going out to ride a dirtbike through the trees, hitting mud puddles, rocks, roots, leaves, you name it...or am I going to a frickin' beauty contest? Do I want to look like a fairy princess out on my bike?

NO - I want to look like a chick that can hang with the guys, ride dirt bikes, and walk away at the end of the day muddy, dusty, whatever, and not give a damn.

So why, oh why, do these manufacturers of women's gear think we all want to look "pretty". I play "pretty" for 40 hours a week - makeup, hair, nails, skirts, high heels, WHATEVER! I don't want to deal with that crap when I'm riding my dirtbike too!

Ugh...Guess I'm sticking with the old gear this year...

:yell: :pissed:

For the record - I have no issue with the fact that this gear is made all pretty pretty. I just wish those of us that don't care for it had more options...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My wife likes the pretty gear. The pink and light purple work well with her Barbie helmet :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
squeaky said:
we all want to look "pretty". I play "pretty" for 40 hours a week - makeup, hair, nails, skirts, high heels, WHATEVER! I don't want to deal with that crap when I'm riding my dirtbike too!

Elk was complaining about the very same thing just last week. :whoa: :ohmy: :laugh: :rotfl:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hi Squeaky!!

Guess what? We have options!! They just aren't available from Rocky Mountain.

Troy Lee Designs makes a nice pant. I have a pair of '07 pants that have pink piping, but I really like the fit. The '08 pants are all black, as far as I can tell.

Plus Shift makes some pretty neat looking stuff. (And some pretty wild stuff-- PLAID pants?? :yikes: )

And Answer has some '08 Mode pants in black/white that look pretty nice.

The jerseys are pretty similar in style. But it's nice there are options other than pink and powder blue. :ohmy:

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
squeaky said:
So why, oh why, do these manufacturers of women's gear think we all want to look "pretty". I play "pretty" for 40 hours a week - makeup, hair, nails, skirts, high heels, WHATEVER!

I don't suppose it's because they have the mentality of "once a sucker always a sucker"???

Let's take another example of where women are conned. Back in the day, unlike a man, a woman wouldn't buy a pair of jeans that looked PERFECT on her if she believed she was an 8 or a 6 or a 2 and the size that fit was anything bigger than "her" size. She'd move on to some "other label" that fit this preconception, even if the pants didn't look as good.

So now, some marketing genius has retagged all women's clothes to reflect this delusional narcissistic thinking. So, what used to be a size 12 is now a size 8 and on and on.

Egotistical naricissist woman will flock to this supersize clothing with the "small" tag....Going "damn, I'm fit"...the tent clothes will fall off them.... but, uh, all that ample curvaceous flesh is still a hanging there...

Complete nonsense, and yet, suckers by the millions out there!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Okay Sigurd - first of all you're 22 years old, so I don't exactly understand what you mean by "back in the day". 1982? Nahhhh....

Secondly - WHAT does this have to do with dirtbike gear?

Third - I think women that do hair, nails, makeup, etc... on a daily basis are not suckers but want to look like women. The "pretty" sex. I myself am that way.

BUT - When we are involved in a predominantly male sport, yes we may want to stick out to the crowd as being female, but what we (or I) don't want to do is stick out like a sore thumb...

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
First Squeaky, really, you can't believe everything you read on the net. I hate to break that to you. So, um, perhaps I'm not 22, but merely think it's a crock of bs to put your age out there to strangers.

Second, this is the flame forum, and it has to do with pet peeves. Who said it had to have anything at all to do with women's gear? Today you want the flame forum to follow some precise linear pattern, just because you started the thread? I think not, missy. Thems not the rules.

Again, I understand you are blond and in your naive 20's.. Based on that alone you may have trouble following complaints about women's clothing that are loosely related by the topic "women's clothing" or "stupid things that narcissistic women who are way too preoccupied by society's conception of pretty fall for".... so, maybe when you get out of your twenties or your hair is no longer blond you'll be able to keep up.

lol.

Kids. So naive. Sheesh.

and just for the record- I think women who do nails, wear skirts and torture themselves in high heels look ridiculous. [EDIT: Let's not have the expletive references, okay?]

Last edited by a moderator:

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
Oh, and I noticed the clothing size change at JC Penney's trying on some Jones of New York wear about five or six years ago. I just went shopping this weekend at Kohls and Christopher Banks and was recently reminded how friggin' ridiculous sizing has become. The land of obese...We'll just put a smaller label on it rather than telling the truth!

You can thank Liz Claiborne for the sizing scam....She did it first "back in the day"- which - also for the record-would be the early 80s. You know... before you were even born! Lol.

Good gawd.

Phil

Nov 17, 1999
Hey sigurd, maybe you should start your own thread. It sounds like you have a lot to say and we wouldn't want you to hijack squeaky's now would we?

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
"The Flame Board will be limited in content to topics that pertain to the sport and topics that pertain to this site"

So please, sigurd, for the sake of all of us, if you have nothing to say with regard to my post, quit replying to it.

I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
You guys are being sweet to Squeaky. I figure Rich or Rooster will be by to kick my fanny pretty soon. Lol. It's okay. I can take it. Squeaky, I know the guys think you are vulnerable and can't take care of yourself because you are a girl and "pretty". God forbid when you get a little older and "pretty" is only some little thing wearing skirts and high heals in their twenties, and you aren't any more. lol. The only people who stay twenty forever, um, died. :|

I have opinions on women's clothing and defend my right to argue that clothing manufacturers sell stupid things to women.. Is there a new rule in the flame forum that says "when little Squeaky posts a thread" everyone has to stick precisely to her original thought and not say, hey, I've got my own rant about women's wear?

Besides Phil, wasn't it your Tracy who wanted to trade in that great 2 stroke you boys said she would enjoy... because why? She thought her butt looked big when she saw a picture of herself on the bike? ***Edited: this was actually KatYM in the women's forum and not Tracy. See below. But the point about women torturing themselves and beating up on themselves for how they look is completely valid.***

She (KatYM) wanted a bigger bike despite the fact that the bike WAS PERFECT for her in every handable, rideable way??? Talk about a stupid superficial totallly non dirtbike mentality. But hey, it's a free country. I own lots of stuff just because things LOOK way way cool.

Oh come on, Squeak and company... My opinions are just opinions.... They can't hurt you.

I love it that my daughters have choices today that I didn't at their age. You are of a lucky generation Squeaky...

[EDIT: Settle down there, cowboy! Easy on the references!] [Sure Pred. I understand the rules. Okay for the guys to gay bash and pile on the hate. I'll be a good little girl and not use the "bad" **** words to make a colorful point. Yessuh, massah. :rotfl: ]

To continue...You no longer HAVE to wear heels just to gain some man (or woman's) approval of when a woman is "pretty".. You can walk down Michigan Avenue or the Miracle Mile in a skirt and tennis shoes and nobody is going to criticize you. Instead, they'll admire your free thinking smarts. And, there will be hundreds of other women making the same fashion choice.

It seems to me I'm defending Squeaky's principles more than she is. The only problem here is that Squeaky was presumptuous in assuming that her opinion was "better" than mine based on her opinion of my age, gender, etc. Now that is extremely narrow-minded and in my opinion, just plain wrong. (As well as outrightly funny in a naive way.)

I actually like pink women's MX wear. I like pink. Butterflies, no. But, I buy guys gear because I can get it cheap here. There is no women's mx gear ever for sale anywhere that I live. I guess that just makes me a little more liberated.

Last edited:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
sigurd said:
Second, this is the flame forum, and it has to do with pet peeves. Who said it had to have anything at all to do with women's gear? Today you want the flame forum to follow some precise linear pattern, just because you started the thread? I think not, missy. Thems not the rules.

I don't think you have been around DRN long enough to know how the flame forum works. Squeaky started a topic on women's gear...therefore that is what we flame. You're not supposed to hijack like Phil said. She started the thread that's what we discuss. If you want to start a topic we might converse about that.

sigurd said:
Again, I understand you are blond and in your naive 20's.. Based on that alone you may have trouble following complaints about women's clothing that are loosely related by the topic "women's clothing" or "stupid things that narcissistic women who are way too preoccupied by society's conception of pretty fall for".... so, maybe when you get out of your twenties or your hair is no longer blond you'll be able to keep up.[QUOTE/]

Why are you assuming that she is blond?

lol.

Kids. So naive. Sheesh.

sigurd said:
and just for the record- I think women who do nails, wear skirts and torture themselves in high heels look ridiculous. Not only do they stick out like a sore thumb, but their a$$ses look stupid, they walk awkward and unnatural, and... well, all that paint on their faces? wtf???

And what does this have to do with the ORIGINAL TOPIC of Women's riding gear color schemes?

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
Bring it on girls. You are being silly.

My point is simply that manufacturers sell stupid things to women, and yes, women buy them. And,we're all guilty of it. Me, Tracy, Squeaky.

Geez.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
sigurd said:
Besides Phil, wasn't it your Tracy who wanted to trade in that great 2 stroke you boys said she would enjoy... because why? She thought her butt looked big on the bike in a picture? Talk about a stupid superficial totallly non dirtbike mentality.

What are you talking about? That makes absolutely no sense. When did I ever say I wanted to trade in my two stroke? When did I ever say my butt looked big a picture? What picture are you referring to?

BTW if you were around here long enough you would know that my name is not spelled that way. If you are going to pull me into your idiotic postings at least spell my name correctly, sheesh.

sigurd said:
She wanted a bigger bike despite the fact that the bike WAS PERFECT for her in every handable, rideable way???.

I have been riding a 125 two stroke for quite some time now. Why would I want a bigger bike? I think you have me mixed up with someone else. Phil let's me ride whatever I want. He doesn't control anything I ride.

But what do I know...I'm just a 25 year old "kid" :nener:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
sigurd said:
Bring it on girls. You are being silly.

We're being silly?! :rotfl:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Yes Sigurd, you are correct, your opinions are just opinions and can't hurt anyone.

So I want to flame about pink butterfly women's gear? So what? I HAVE A TATTOO OF A BUTTERFLY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD - Does that make me want to wear it on my dirt gear? NO! (AKA The original topic of this thread...)...

The thread is about women's MOTO gear, not high heels, not skirts, not pantyhose...it was just a statement to bring it all into perspective...

Oh and by the way - I may be 25 and I may be blonde - but I'm far from young, naive, and unintelligent...trust me...

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
I might be mistaken on the two stroke and the big butt thing. Might have been some other woman in the women's forum. And you might have actually been the one talking some sense into her right along with me. Might be my mistake. I'll see if I can find the thread.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=153658&page=5&pp=10

KayTM said:
hey rmk_racer thanks! Yeah it was great but I really need to get to a track, anyone can go fast straight , ya know? It's going fast and turning that's a problem! O.K., Now for my "poor me" story.....I had my son get a couple pic.s of me on my bike and just let me say, when I saw the pic. I was like ..OH MY GOD!, I look way too big for it!! I look stupid! I was (and still am) devistated! I told my husband and he said, well we have to adjust the shock (swag) then I was like "oh great! My big butt squished the bike!" "Why didn't you tell me I was too big for it before we bought it"?!!! (poor guy). I'm actually not big though, 5'5" 118lbs. but I look big on the bike, when I sat on it at the dealers my toes just touched the ground! My husband just keeps saying "honey, that bike is way more than you can handle as it is, you can't handle a bigger bike!" which made me even more angry. I know, I sound like a spoiled brat, but how depressing, it's not like I can take it back and now I'm always gonna feel self consious (butchered that word huh) as if I didn't already- being new and all. So that's my sob story for today! Poor me I know

My apologies Tracy. Unjustly accused. But my point is simply that women are too often messed up about looks. Thus why we get limited selections for mx gear, why the cosmetics & plastic surgery industries thrive, and why young women will attack an older woman rather than just listen with an open mind to the argument. Lol. Kidding on the last part.

Last edited:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Anyway back to the original topic, before sigurd hijacked Squeaky's thread...

Squeaky I am not too pleased with the color choices the manufacturer's have come up with. Being sponsored by MSR I wasn't too happy to see this year's has flowers on it. I'm not really a flowers type of person and I don't do butterflies either...

I liked last years MSR Starlet with the stars on it. The '08 MSR women's stuff is okay. I like that the one is brown/light blue and the other one is black/dark blue. That is fine with me. I'm not totally digging the flowers thing going on, but the gear fits me great and it holds up really well.

I'm not sure why all of the gear companies assume that we all like pink, purple, flowers and butterflies.

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
squeaky said:
Oh and by the way - I may be 25 and I may be blonde - but I'm far from young, naive, and unintelligent...trust me...

again, I know you are well respected. I'm shocked that you do not understand humor.... However....It was you who slammed me because of my use of "back in the day". Um, I hear middle schoolers use that expression. It is not uncommon.

But, yes, I've been around many decades longer than you my dear. and, I have opinions on what manufacturers try to get women to buy, and how they do it. I have struggled with the same limited mx gear choices. I was just adding my thoughts on something that was frustrating me this weekend when I was shopping for clothes. I had to keep grabbing smaller and smaller sizes...

Excuse me for adding to this. I'll bow out. Your reprimand is understood and will be abided by. I will just edit in above the women's forum thread on the woman who complained about how big she looked on her bike, blah blah.

Yes, it is important to look pretty and feminine off the track. Like a tough hang with the boy on the track. You win.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
No slam on the back in the day - but if you want people to believe you actually knew what went on "back in the day" post your real year of birth, so people respect you as an adult with an opinion...For all I know I've got a few years on you...

You can add what you want - ON TOPIC - Size of women's clothing was NOT the topic, it was the pink, purple, baby blue and butterflies...

That's all...

Top Bottom