kah68

Sep 16, 2007
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'2" 205
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderate on fire roads and fields, slower (noob) in the single track but working on it.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Woods, but want it street plated.
4) Do you have any riding experience? Yes some single track, some trail rides and one hare scramble.
5) Do you think you will race ? Maybe later if I feel more comfortable.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes some basic maint. is fine by me, no majors.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke WR type bike.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes KTM-Zuki-Yam-Kaw
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? As much as it takes if I find the perfect bike
10) Do you live in California? No
11) Your age? 39
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I like torque over horsepower, light weight, awesome suspension and wide ratio trans.

This info won't guarentee a perfect bike choice but it will sure stear the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

kah68

Sep 16, 2007
Thanks Joe, I looked at the 450 and 525 but I feel like the bike is far superior to my riding skills (I'm not worthy! :( ) Beautiful bikes though, I guess I don't want to look like a squid. Thanks for the recomendation.

Kirk

kah68

Sep 16, 2007
thanks 2 strokes, I already have the KLX 250, nice bike but not enough Jam or Suspension. I am really looking hard at the 08' street legal YZF 250. It may be the perfect fit for me for next year.

Kirk

kah68

Sep 16, 2007
Yeah I was looking at them online. My dealer is at a meeting getting info. on the bike. I have to say I rode a KLX 450 this weekend and was really impressed with the bike, both handling, suspension and WOW what power, was a real treat to ride and it didn't feel as heavy as the published numbers. Too bad it's not street legal.

Kirk

kah68

Sep 16, 2007
Yeah I know, but as of July 16th legislation has changed in Ontario, and when I went to add insurance to my KLX 250 T.D. asked me 5 times if it was an off road bike. I feel like even if I can get it licensed, insurance may not cover it for road use.

Kirk

kah68

Sep 16, 2007
Dual Sport yes, but trying to make an off road bike into a DS is tougher than it used to be. I think it's only a matter of time till Insurance Co's start clamping down on insuring O.R. bikes for street use.

kah68

Sep 16, 2007
2 strokes; I am thinking the same thing, even though I am not up to the bikes abilities, it really is one of the few no compromise SL enduros on the market and there seems to be good dealer support in my area compared to Husky and Husa. I was thinking of the new YZF WR (the street legal one) but at 275lb dry and less H.P. than its off road brother, it's not the bike for me. I am talking to my dealer on the 530 EXC.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Good suspension? Better cross KTM off the list. Well, unless you have $500-1000 for a revalve.

If you want a dual sport, I'd look really hard at the Husqvarna bikes. They come dual sport ready from the factory.

Top Bottom