woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Gang!!!
Guess who’s back?? If you guessed “Woodsy’s” you are correct and I must say that it is GREAT to be here!!
Ok – so this isn’t your average/normal, run of the mill “Woodsy Report” but hey, who ever said that a Woodsy Report was average/normal?
First off I would like to take a minute and thank Young Ted for posting the information about me! THANKS TED!! During one of our phone conversations Ted told me that MANY of you were asking how I have been doing. That is when I asked him to please let folks know what is going on with my upcoming surgery and such…. Ted, in his usual way, took the ball and ran with it!!
I now need to say THANK YOU to EVERYONE for the well wishing! Your concern/prayers are ALWAYS appreciated!
Ted, I even received a snail mail from “Placelast” all the way out in California wishing me well! What an encouragement you folks are!! John, if you are reading this, your letter was a great encouragement to me! If you ever get a chance to come out here and ride, I promise you a trail adventure you will NEVER forget!! You may never be seen again in California but, none the less, you will never forget it either!!
Ok, here is the trail report from the horse’s mouth:
In November of last year I had the choice of having deer hooves come thru my car window or hitting a tree. I chose the tree and then my troubles began. What 43 years of HARD dirt bikin, hare scrambling, motocrossing could not do, hitting a tree with a CAR did!!
This is TRULY amazing as I have not always ridden the slower pace that I have been accustomed to the last 15 years. To put it bluntly, I was VERY hard on my body back then!! When I was actually riding competition I would ride 10 to 12 hours per day HARD to stay in shape. Facing the gang from Lake Cycle with riders like Ricky Sharphorn and Hank Rezny as well as Chuck Davis, Micky Ludky and lots of other REALLY good riders of that era was just cause for this lifestyle – I LOVED to win! I was single back then and usually wore a bike out in a year – those Elsinore’s were TOUGH but not that tough!! I stopped racing in 76 due to some political injustice in the system and never went back. I didn’t stop riding though, I have been an AVID dirt and street rider all the way up until November of last year!! NEVER IN THE HOSPITAL BEFORE THIS (Knock on wood sy’s head)!!
I wanted to tell you folks this because I am sick and tired of people blaming dirtbikes for injuries and the continuing battle that is being fought over whether or not biking is safe/and should be outlawed for this cause! NO – MY INJURY IS NOT BIKE RELATED!!!!
Of course you can get hurt doing ANYTHING!! In the “skilled trades” it is a known fact that a 2nd year apprentice is the most dangerous person on the planet. This is because he/she has just enough knowledge to really injure someone and has not yet learned humility nor found the GREAT lessons to be found in not always being number 1. IMHO, biking is the same!
When the deer feet hit my windshield I ducked down behind the dash board toward the center of the car, slammed on the skidders, slid to the right side and contacted the tree. Due to my body angle my seatbelt/shoulder strap did a lot of damage to my shoulder and lower back.
The doctors in the ER room did an Xray and found nothing critical and sent me home – telling me that if I had major pain to come back and I would get an MRI. A few days later and I was back for the MRI!!
A Neurosurgeon found the damage and immediately put me into Physical Therapy. He said he had to follow protocol for insurance reasons but I would probably end up with surgery before it was over! He told me at the time to continue life as normal as possible (he had NO idea what normal meant for me :) ) and live on pain meds until we got to the bottom of the issue. After my PT time was up I went on to steroid injections. The injections helped a little but it didn’t last. Finally, the time came when surgery was imminent. The Neuro team at Hackley Hospital came up with a plan of action that included removing the damaged bone in the L5-S1 area and replacing it with Pedicle Screws and Rods. Then removing the ruptured disc and replacing it with a Titanium cage and a bone graph (2 surgeries). Later the idea of using a BMP implant with the Ti cage came up and now we are at 1 surgery of around 5/7 hours. I could have gone right into this surgery back in April but decided to wait until I got a second opinion.
Young Ted sent me some info that his wife Connie (bless him and Connie) had found and I was onward to the second opinion. The info contained words about a study being done on a not yet accepted artificial disc called the “Charite”. I contacted the people in Chicago (about 45 minutes from Ted’s home – I still think he was stacking the deck to get me down there where he could ride past my window on INCA and wave at an injured Woodsy) doing the study and sent them ALL my medical info for evaluation. I just heard back from them and was told that I am not a candidate because of the severity of my damaged spine.
The true blessing of having caring people like Ted and Connie covering your back side (pun intended - you knew that was coming Father Nelson :) ) continues in this paragraph. Everyone who has ever been thru any sort of surgery knows that CONFIDENCE in your surgeon and the resulting POSITIVE attitude go a long way in seeing a good outcome. I have been in bikes ALL my life and know bikes pretty well. I can usually tell a BSer from a true biker instantly but when it comes to Doctors – I might as well be leading a group of riders home from Boon cause I am just as LOST!!! My concern in this area was totally settled because of these people that I had contacted as a result of Teds info! They told me that my Doctor was right on target with the Ti Implant he wanted to do. They said the Ti/BMP was VERY new technology and my L5-S1 injury would be best served with it for sure! They also said that after this fusion had taken place I would still be a very good candidate for an artificial disc at L3-L4 giving me a very functional spine as a result!! SOUNDS GREAT!!
After hearing from the folks in Chicago I went ahead and scheduled the surgery here in Muskegon. The date for the actual surgery is June 22nd with some more Pre-Op stuff being done on the 16th. I will know more about all of this after the 16th and will update you all then!!
I am not as tough of a character as Young Ted has painted me out to be. I am sorry to let him down, but I have been living on prescription pain killers as there are times that the sciatic nerve pain I have experienced has turned me into a jelly fish!! I received a letter from another person who suffers from some of the very same issues as I. She told me that she has been thru 3 child births and can honestly say that they were simple compared to the nerve pain she has experienced with her spinal damage. It was nice to hear this from her as sometimes it helps to have someone “from the fold” put it all into perspective. I still dont think I would enjoy giving birth though :)
Oh yea, I promised pictures with this report.. This first pic is of a pretty good section of my spine. I post it just to give everyone an idea of what a functional spine should look like on an MRI. Notice the lighter colored square blocks – these are bone vertebra, the darker space in-between them are the discs..
The second picture is of my L5-S1. It is the joint directly below the visibly good joint. This is going to receive the new hardware. This is also where all my pain and numbness (I have actually fallen over because of the numbness – really a weird feeling!!) is coming from.

Attachments

• sp12.JPG
    sp12.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 193
  • sp1.JPG
    sp1.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 207

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
This shot is the L3-L4 joint that hopefully will be receiving the Charite artificial disc in the near future (after it has been approved). I am told that this mess is not producing much pain at this time. Doctors can tell by the location of the pain which nerve is being affected.. Hard to believe isn’t it!! If you look closely at this pic you can see the blown disc protruding into the spinal nerve area (on the left!!). I am told that as soon as this disc makes contact with the nerve pack I will be back into pain again – this is a concern because a wrong twist can cause this to happen….
Well, it is GREAT to be back. Thanks again for ALL the support everyone! I will try and keep you all updated throughout this whole project!!
Keep the ride reports coming – as for me – I am now going back now and read some of the great stuff I have missed!!
RIDE ON BROTHERS!!!
Woodsy

Attachments

• sp123.JPG
    sp123.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 184
  • May11211.JPG
    May11211.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 197

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I am giving you all my good karma! Keep a stiff upper lip and so on. This will work out for you! Aaron and I took a nice ride Sat & Sunday south out of the meadow system through the Rose City trail almost into the Ogemaw hill system mostly on the MCCCT. Trail / ride report is in the works. What a great ride for Aaron to break in his new Berg! The Bent wheels real put on a top-notch ride. Hang in there old buddy!

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Woodsy ... a quick note from a friend you've yet to meet [in person] ...

I am very glad to read that you're back on line, telling us your latest stories, and giving us an update on your 'condition' ... we have missed you!

Perhaps your latest story should have been entitled: Spinal Column ... or perhaps: Tail Endings ... to give us that special flavoring. The pictures of your spine are scary ... are you sure you don't have an 'Alien' inside you?

With all the new parts you're about to have installed ... titanium cages and artificial disks ... you may become our One Million Dollar Man ... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you also will be better, faster and stronger than before !!!

However, assessing your situation and the potential requirements for an optimum recuperation, it seems likely that some form of short term ambulatory enablement will be required ... normally that would be a 'wheel chair' ... however for old dirt biker-types, the requisite device would more likely be an ATV ... it would let you do all your abnormal activities while still permitting the spine to heal ... now I'm sure our Quad brethren do not feel their favorite ride is just a wheel chair for a dirt biker, but when we must improvise, we improvise! In the mean, time take care of yourself and take your vitamins [Geritol?]!

terry nestrick :laugh:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
I had a talk with Woodsy yesterday. His computer has recovered more than he has. The medication allows him short periods of being in his normal abnormal mode, which are not long enough to concentrate on posting. When possible he will be here as the horses mouth. Today there is a session with the Dr., so sometime tomorrow there will be more news. His laugh is as strong and encouraging as ever. There are also times of both serious and emotional conversation for both of us. With the interest and concern that has appeared here, he now understands the parallel I am still going through. Our small world is really much larger than one imagines. Woodsy is looking forward to the surgery and end of the present pain, knowing full well there is more to come on the uphill part afterwards. I'll be here.
Young Ted

Don - If you would send me your address to INCAKTM @ yahoo.com, I have some things to send you.

Neal - What deer hunting story? It must be Woodsy's because the only deer story I know does not belong here.

To Everyone - You are a top notch group.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I am just to out of it to really go into detail right now but it was a GREAT day at the doctors office!! I spoke with Young Ted and, like the champ that he is, he agreed to be my spokes person - THANKS AGAIN TED!!
I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO TH E 22nd! I feel like a kid waiting for Santa Clause.
Man is it hard to type on this new round of morphine!!!
Aaron - CONGRATS ON THE NEW BIKE!!!! Please read over advice to Fender about his new KDX - it applies!! Hug it, name it, TALK TO IT - those Bergs are AWESOME bikes and deserve the best of care!!!
Marlin - I WISH I COULD RIDE WITH YOU GUYS :((( Sounds like you two are in for a GREAT summer!!
Nestrick - GREAT JOB on the writings!! I havent been able to respond like I should but BELIEVE me I REALLY have enjoyed your humor and your well wishing. Riding together will have to wait for a while but when we do, it will be a RIOT!!
Don - THANKS AGAIN for the tape! I am not taking visitors at this time (I dont know what day it is from one day to the next) but I will be soon!! And YES, I do have a DVD player!!!
Eastsiders - you guys are AWESOME and I really appreciate the thoughts and concern!!
JTKTOBY - YOU ARE ONE OF A KIND CARTWHEEL!!
Young Ted - what on earth would I do without you???? Connie said "bless the day that Ted met you" - THAT IS BACKWARDS!!!!!!
Placelast - Thanks again for a really "long distance" well wish!!
I have been piecing this post together now since I talked to Ted earlier - 7 hours ago - I think I will psot it...
Mweissen - my email is Scbarnhard at AOL.com, THANKS FOR THE PRAYERS BUDDIE!! KEEP IT UP - PLEASE!!
Anyone who I missed please know that I CANNOT wait to see you on the trails again and say thanks for the prayers and concern in person!!!
One last thing - Young Teds "Woodsy's Delight Emergency Kit" ReALLY does work!! As in all high tech equipment, it does take some practice though! A small hint for "the horses mouth" (at least he didnt call me the other end) - you have to be REALLY lost to get it to work! If you need help getting to that point let me know!!
Wopdsy (high - I mean bye)

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Here is some more scoop. He starts at the hospital on the 22nd at 5 AM and they plan to have him vertical on his feet the first day after surgery. The turtle shell cage he will be wearing has already been fitted and is ready to go. Eviction could be as soon as 3 days and the cage would stay on for maybe 3 months. Pushing some more, it is possible he could be running in 6 to 12 months. Reasons for the fast healing are that he's in good health, has been active, is a non-smoker, (this doesn't apply to Kadie), and best of all has a very positive attitude. His spirits are soaring as you can see by what he managed to post during his night owl session. The thought of Kadie prompted me to ask Inca what his take would be on how Kadie is taking the vacation. The answer is that resting in the garage beats being lost in the woods and living on burnt squirrel.

Neal - Woodsy is a little lost on the squirrel story and needs some refreshing. It started on the trail ride last fall and both of you are deer hunters. After that it becomes a little vague as to the exact story.

Young Ted

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Inca to Kadie - The answer to what your boss would do without my boss in obvious. He would get lost on the trail to Boon.
Have patience, I'll be visiting you. Inca

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Ted, While riding with Woodsy, Marlinburg, Mwiessen, Larry, Mark's son(sorry, cannot recall his name right now and maybe a couple of others I can't remember) last year, no early this year, January 2nd I think, we where taking a break and Scott mentioned something about a bridge and a deer hunt he had been on. I stopped him right there and said that I would like to hear the rest of that story around a campfire while having a beer. And some day I will.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Ted - THANKS AGAIN!! PERFECT!!!! You have such a way with words!!
Neal - NOW I MEEREMBER.... The story you mention is defintitly worth a camp fire!! It involves the "tank creek" bridge that you cross going just nroth of Benton Lake on the MCCCT!! Our ride was going to be a 3 dayer/2 nighter lost with Woodsy right!!!! We gotta do that - by the time you get back home you may have some loose screws that will need tightening!! hahahahahahaha

Top Bottom