TNUTT

Jul 18, 2002
I AM NEW TO MX AND I WANT TO GET IN BETTER SHAPE TO HANDLE THE RIGORS MOTOCROSS. IF ANYONE HAS A WORKOUT PROGRAM THAT WORKS- PLEASE POST IT ALONG WITH WEIGHT, REPS & SETS.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
no need to yell buddy, we're all friendly around here. . ..

. . . . if you're looking to race a strong upper body would be helpful.. . how bout your height/weight. There are all kinds of great training programs .. . . bench press (flat, decline, incline) with barbel and with dumb bell are all important for chest. . . . . the two shoulder exercises that work best for me are wide grip pull ups, and hanging cleans (or standing military press, whichever i'm in the mood for). . i could list off good exercises for days . .what are your specific goals and which muscle groups are you looking to focus on?

TNUTT

Jul 18, 2002
i am realizing I need to really focus on my legs. I went to the rj school last week and after a day on the bike, my legs were sore! But i want to increase my overalln shape and endurance.

thanks for the help

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
My suggestion...use tubing.

Click HERE to see an example of what I'm talking about.

This stuff is great if you don't have access to a gym. Even if you do go to the gym they are a perfect addition to any exercise routine. The trick with these is proper technique, which is key in muscle developement. They will also aide in increasing your flexibility, which is VERY important in injury prevention. You can find them anywhere you would purchase physical therapy supplies. In sports medicine we used these on the athletes for their re-hab programs... less chance of re-injuring the area, as compared to weight training. Good luck.

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
I work out like a maniac and it does wonders for your riding. I beleive that legs are the most important for riding. I make this my foundation. You can effectively work your legs with weights twice a week. No more!!!
Mondays- Squat 1 warm up 4-6 sets. Use moderate weight 12-15 reps. Then add your leg extentions, lunges, hamstrings curls, and calves.
Thursdays- Leg sled ( same sets/reps as squats). Again add you leg extentions, lunges, hamstring curls, and calves.
Tuesdays- I work chest & triceps
Fridays- back and shoulders
I also do cardio apprx. 3-4 times a week. If you are interested, let me know and I can email you a detailed workout. These are just the basics. I recommend moderate weight. Not light and not heavy. Weight that will make you burn each set at about 12-15 reps. The burn is the key. The more you burn in the gym and at your cardio the less you'll burn on your bike.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I found a really good system somewhere that I love for my upper body. I do a shoulder press, chest press, bicep curls, lat pull, and a tricep machine (haven't found the perfect one of theses yet). The first set you lift 10% of your max 12 reps. Minute break. Next set, step up the weight, 10 reps. Minute break. Next set, step up the weight, 8 reps. Minute break. Next set, step up the weight, 6 reps. Minute break. Step down the weight, 24 reps. The last few reps of this should be absolutely killer at almost no weight. This system is great for my.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Keep in mind what works for one person may not work for another. Make sure you understand what body type you have before diving into a routine. You are less likely to plateau (get to a point where you stop gaining strength and or size) that way. And remember to ALWAYS stretch before and after a workout session... ALWAYS.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Make sure your body is warmed up before you stetch. I do a ten min warm up to get my body temp up before any lifting. I do my stretching between sets. I alternate my weights and reps. I'll do heavy weights and low reps for 3-4 weeks then switch to a lighter weight and 12 to 15 reps then take a week off. Try to do your cardio on the days you don't lift.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
TNUTT,

what ever method you go with, alternate your workout time and your ride time, what I mean is, if you start working out, concentrate on the workout and do less riding, then the next week or 2 spend more time riding and less time on the workout.

Also, check into that tubing, resistants is a better way to go than freeweights
Less strain on joints and muscles

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
BTW, checkout the west chapter room, a bunch of us are goofing off on sat morning, come out and ride, you'll have a blast

tcdarr

Aug 29, 2002
I do 30 min. on level 7 on the stationary bike or 15 min. on level 7 on the Stairmaster at least 3 to 4 times per week. I work chest, biceps and triceps at least 2 days per week and legs and shoulders two days per week. I do several exercises for abs using the medicine ball. Every Saturday before I ride I take a yoga class to help with flexibility and balance. Sounds gay but it works. After a 2 1/2 hour race I seldom get sore.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
I run 30+ miles per week and ride a mt. bike and swim to help with the knee pain. Upper body work is usually curls, push-ups, abs and some bench work. I find that my cardio work is what allows me to ride longer and harder, but don't over-train. Good luck.

Top Bottom