alexraven

May 12, 2008
I am thinking about going to Tech school to become a pro Motocross Mechanic. My goal is to get hired by a supercross team. My biggest question is how would one go about applying to a supercross team? Its not like I can look up Roger Decosters address to send him a resume. I know the school can be a good source but, are there more ways to get the word out about me, once I graduate?

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
I'm not sure of the exact statistic on how many kids were hired out of a tech. school directly to a pro sx/mx team. However, I'm pretty sure it is close to zero. If you want to work on bikes for a living that's great but you may want to do some more research on exactly what type of work you are likely to be doing upon graduation.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Your chances of getting hired directly out of Tech school to a SX/MX team are slim to none. If you were to get hired, you would be a grunt. You would get to set-up the pits, unload and load the bikes, clean the shop, go for coffee, or in other words, all the grunt work. :nod: You would also find yourself working for free or close to it.

Team mechanics have a whole lot of hands-on experience, I doubt any of them came directly from a Tech school.

Also, now is not the time to join a team. Most of the teams, even the factory one's, are hurting and cutting back on crew.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The best bet is to know people in the industry, and even then it's nearly impossible.

And if you do manage to get on a team, you'd be likely working in the shop only.

The friends that I have in the industry, who are on the road, almost never get to ride.

They have all told me that if you enjoy riding dirt bikes, being on a team on the road is the best way you'll find to never ride one. And you almost never get to see the races, as you are too busy working, and the pay sucks.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
alexraven said:
Its not like I can look up Roger Decosters address to send him a resume.

That is how the mechanics who work for him do it.

There is a lot of "who you know" in the motorsports business. That is why I work in IT :)

Ivan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There are jobs that you get / keep because you are a warm body and there are those that you get / keep because you are exceptionally good at what you do. There are many ways to do the first, there is one way to do the second.

Lot's of people want to be movie / TV stars, what percentage do you think actually make it. Now multiply that by 0.01% to determine your chances of getting in to an even more selective field.

So I'm not saying it won't happen but it's not as simple as calling up The Man and asking for the job LOL! Maybe get your schooling and try to get hired by Suzuki USA as a start.

LongGone

Nov 27, 2009
I think Rich said it best;

Can't remember his exact words, but something along the lines of "be prepared to spend the rest of your life changing oil on Gold Wings for old fat guys." LOL

Top Bottom