bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
No wonder some clubs do not get enough workers for their enduros.

District 17 worker rules:

"A club member that helps lay out and/or checks at the club event will receive first place points. Clubs will have to approve members points. Workers must be a Club Member 30 days prior to the Event to receive worker points."

District 14 worker rules:

"A rider that works one series enduro will receive first place points in their class for that event. For purposes of assigning Overall points, it will be the rider's best finish in events for that season. The definition of “working” an event is left to the discretion and judgment of the promoting club. Permission to work the enduro must be granted by the club, and the Enduro Chairman must receive a letter from the rider prior to April 1st stating the enduro to be worked. Any rider that is scheduled to work and rides instead will not receive any points at all. The points keeper will confirm with the club after the event that all worker requirements have been met prior to awarding points."

Basically the District 14 rules are saying I must follow the District 17 rules, because it is left up to the discretion of the clubs. District 17 rules is what the club is telling me they must follow.

Therefore, if a District 14 member wants to work a multi-district race using district 17 rules and is paying district 14 points, they must be a district 17 club member for 30 days prior to the event. This would require club membership payments, driving more than 5 hours(one way) to attend meetings, not to mention driving down to work before the event and driving to work the event. With the cost of gas, it would be cheaper to just pay to ride the event, or then again, not even go to the event where in the past few years has not proved itself worthy because they did not have enough workers and thrown out checks.

I do not feel one bit sorry for these clubs that do not have enough workers to run a successful event. This rule in place for district 17 was most likely in place to promote club membership, which is fine if I lived in Illinois. They need to get realistic if they are in need of worker for these events. They should be eager to grab some workers outside of their own district.
Last year, several enduro riders who are members of different clubs told me to "work" an enduro and see how much work is involved. Well I tried, even to help out one of the clubs with the most problems and was given this song and dance:

"Hill and Gully Club follows the District 17 rules for club points, the district rules require a worker who receives points to be a member for 30 days prior to the event.

It is not fair for any members who work their butt off all summer to put this event together and someone come only for the race weekend and collect points.

We are always looking for members. Come to our Bi-monthly meetings and submit an application to join the club, work at least 3 weekends putting up arrows ( we start July 4 this year and will be working every weekend till the event) and you can get worker points."

I tried to offer my services to help and basically was told you are not needed and it would not be fair. It would be too costly for me to follow District 17 rules when I do not earn points in district 17.

In the future please do not chastize me for speaking my mind when I voice my opinion about an enduro that was run unprofessionally, and unsafe (by not having a sweep crew on a day that was over 100 degrees.) It was not a pleasant experience for me to be out in the sun with a bike broke down for over two hours without water. And then to find out later, that my family was looking for me in the wrong spot. :yell:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Bruno, please do not allow the response of one club to discourage you from working an event. In my opinion, the location of the event will determine which rules to follow (MI -14, IN-15).
Club membership is not required in 14 or 15. However, we need to give the clubs some discretion because the rule has been abused (in my opinion) in the past = showing up the weekend of the event and working two days for first place points. LMC requires 20 hours of work = two weekends.
I do agree with H&G in that it does take a month of planning and preparation to work on an enduro. Most times it is a small group who do most of the VOLUNTEER work with no reimbursement for expenses.
LMC had some MTRs help out at Kalkaska last year in the Fall and without their help the event would have been cancelled. So I would encourage everyone to work an event (even a FES event :)) - it is a learning experience and does generate some understanding of the effort/commitment required.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
What a politician.....

I guess I tried to provide some additional explanation on why we need the help.
Bruno, it may be easier to discuss on the phone. Feel free to give me a call.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Bruno - I can understand your frustration with the other district's rules - they do seem counter productive if the goal is to increase the # of people helping out.

But, as F&S said, dont let it discourage you from working an event. I had blast working one last year - put in tons of time, worked my tail off, and loved every minute of it! I managed to drag my kids into helping - they had a blast as well, and all of us plan to work one this year as well.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
I don't have a problem with the work, even the working 1 weekend before and working the event.Or even working the entire week before the event. The problem that I have is 3 weekends and the event. With the cost of fuel and membership I think that is quite a bit much. I will work an event no problem. I will work before an event no problem. But to drive 5 hours one way for 3 weekends AND membership plus meetings ,I think it is a bit TOO MUCH. I understand that they need the help as most clubs/promoters do. I have put on several harescrambles completely with only help from TJ and my wife. I know that extreme work is involved. But for me to work a weekend this would mean that I haul my trailer down 3 times and getting 9 miles to the gallon @3.45 with a trip distance of 222 miles (one way) it becomes too expensive to do such a thing. Attending the meetings and all the other crap just doesn't make sense to help them out. I am not discouraged in helping out any club, I just felt that they could use extra help since I have had problems there and with all the problem that they seem to have at the events. I would like them to have successful events and have fantastic turnouts. I would also like to see that everyone who attends their event have every mile they ride count. But asking so much from someone who is willing to help should be looked at closely.

Last edited:

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
I did a quick calculation for what it would cost me to help them out. 222 miles (one way) @9 miles per gallon with fuel costs 3.45 with one meeting included (using my s-10 p/u @ 30mpg). $730 plus food. Not including membership cost. This is making only one meeting.

All this $730+ vs. $45 signup. You do the math.

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
I'm not very good at math. Thats why I like the new enduros.

I say, lets stick it to em! No more workers points! Heck, I have to drive 150 miles round trip, and I have to do the work in all kinds of weather, and there's bugs and ticks and stuff, and only once in a while does someone say thanks! Usually all I hear is complaints that people only want to ride easy trail (thats not whooped out), not the trail I worked so hard on.

You know, I was left to die on the trail once with a broke down bike, as well. I thought about suing the jerks too because someone even made fun of me when I finally found my way back to the staging area. A sweep rider with some pink lemonade would have been the least they could have done for me.

From now on, I'm only gonna ride the events that are put on by nonworkers.

Just send me the schedule, will ya?

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
UP Magoo said:
You know, I was left to die on the trail once with a broke down bike, as well.
Me too.{2005 LM} extreme heat that day. I was found by some locals in pretty bad shape - I was dropped off at a check and well taken care of by the check crew. Even helped work the check when I was doing better....A bad experience didn't discourage me from going back in 06' & 07' as I put in some good ride there :cool: ......I figured it's just part of the experience as well as the game. We all know SHAT HAPPENS! As it turns out the LM is one of my favorite enduro's to ride.

Brono I wouldn’t let a couple of bobbles discourage you. Ain’t nothing perfect.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Some of you just don’t get it. I want to help. I want to work. I think that H&G riders have a great potential to put on a great race. I know that they need help but putting 3 weeks and membership in is just BU**SH*T. I don’t want to be a member. I like the H&G riders, I like the area that they use for an event. I want every rider to get the trail that they deserve and have every check count. I know that putting an event on is HARD WORK. In 1990 I put on 4 harescrambles at Dutch Sport Park. And 2000 I put on 1 in Belding. Harescrambles are, in my opinion, harder to put on than enduros as far as event trail. These guys cry if there is a log or anything in the trail. If there is a section that MAY become tough they act like little kids about it. So the trail must be pristine, like a motocross track. Back to the point, I don’t much care about the points, it would be nice to get the work points, but I don’t want ANYONE to experience what I went through last year sitting along a road thinking that the sweep crew was coming soon and finding out that they didn’t have enough help to run a sweep crew. Basically I am willing to work 20+ hours (weekend) and work the event (sweep if possible) to help these guys out. What I don’t want to do is spend the next 1 ½ months house payment that I cannot afford working the requirement that they ask for points. Remember I live in MICHIGAN and I am also one of our great Governors latest casualties of her “blown away” plan. My finances are limited. If H&G riders have a certain rule that they follow then so be it. I guess that they won’t have my help now or in the future. Which is a sad thing because I think that they have great potential. I agree with F&S and everybody who says that at some point everyone should help out with an enduro to see what amount of effort is needed. This is not what I am saying. As in the first statement I said,” I do not feel one bit sorry for these clubs that do not have enough workers to run a successful event.”

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
bruno670 said:
I know that they need help........ , I don’t much care about the points, ......... but I don’t want ANYONE to experience what I went through last year......... I am willing to work 20+ hours (weekend) and work the event (sweep if possible) ”

Have you offered this? (no points / no hoops to jump through) and they turned it down?

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
No, I didn't offer that. I'll take the points but that isn't my primary objective, just the points. That is what most prople who work the event are after. I guess I should be alot clearer. I want to work at this club event. I want these guys to have a good race. They need it and deserve it. But if I am using a work day for points then I would like to have the points. Not work just for the points, but for the club and the racers then the points, in that order.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I think I understand. This club does not want your help.
I have helped two D17 clubs with their events over the years. They really appreciated the help.
I tried to call you a couple of times Bruno. I sent an email with my phone number.

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
I just don't get the obsession with Hill & Gully. Give it a break already!

Just a suggestion, but maybe there's other clubs that might be interested in your great desire to help and work?

DW, you know you were treated with Yooper hospitality. It must be just the enduros in other states that treat people poorly. I mean, c'mon, I was at one enduro where they couldn't even arrow across a field correctly! I blame the workers for that. So, like I said, from now on I only want to go to enduros with out workers.

[/fishing!]

whitebear

Sep 17, 2007
I had the oportunity to help out last year for the Kalkaska fall event and was surprised that a full day went into 3 miles of trail marking and prep. There were only a handfull of guys doing the work, and to find out that these guys were doing most of the work throughout the year, requires dedication to the event and to the sport so that many others may enjoy. I will be again be helping out this year, it may take more money and gas etc, but I feel that if you are able to help, the sport will grow because of it. The only thing that I recieved from this was "Thank You", that is good enough.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
We do trail marking for SixDays. It's more involved than one would think. Trail marking that is.I won"t even compare the two ( SixDay Marking VS Enduro ) Enduro has got to be 100% harder. I'll throw my name in the hat as a helper. It won't be for points. No sense in wasting them on my score card :rotfl:
Maby a link to contact info would be helpfull.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Those stupid D17 rules suck, I think I should just adpot the D14 rules as they are the best and should be followed everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, now that I got that out of the way I can explain the rule of D17. The rule is in place to be a member 30 days before the event so that people don't just show the day of the event and get worker points. That doesn't help a club one bit as most clubs can get day of the event help no problem, but getting trail cut and arrowed is the hard part.

The rule actually goes way back (about 15 years I think) and it came from a rider getting hurt practicing on Wednesday before the final enduro of the season. He then goes and works the enduro as the club knew him and he then wins he class for season by 2 points. Fair, no, he didn't help the club at all and then shows up and works a check and get's first place points. So the rule was put in place to get rid of that situation. Was it a knee jerk reaction, probably, but it did stop that problem.

Now, does H&G take that to the extreme and follow the rules to a T, maybe. Nothing in the D17 rule does it say that you have to attend club meetings or how many days / hours you have to work. Most clubs follow the rule but they use their heads and make good calls. I've had guys come help (cut trail, arrow, run sign up,etc) for my clubs event and they were not members and I have gave them worker points because they earned it. Heck most of our members never make a meeting, even I miss some of them due to work, maybe I won't give myself worker points this year!

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for the input Ryan, I guess we will let sleeping dogs lie. Just thought I would be a good doobie. As far as the other courses, I like riding them too much to work them. Maybe the other clubs do TOO good of a job laying out a course. Thanks all!!!

Top Bottom