CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I was wondering about a common argument I always here. Now I will do the standard type work out. Bench, pec deck, arm curls etc... and I will usally do it once every 2 days, mon, wed, fri..
BUT I heard from some people at the gym that the standard one day wait is a load of b.s and if you can you should work out daily. Is this true? I mean I feel fine the next day so shoud I just go for it and try and do it every day?
Or do my muscles need to recoop and get stronger over the day where I won't work out?

Thanks for the help guys

(the only reason I need to know is because exams start in a few months and I will have no time to work out then, so I want to do as much as possible)

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
It would be overtraing.I do arms on monday and won't do them again till thursday.Your muscles grow when they are resting not when you are working out,is what many people have told me.:)

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Originally posted by gibbs_6
It would be overtraing.I do arms on monday and won't do them again till thursday.Your muscles grow when they are resting not when you are working out,is what many people have told me.:)

This is correct gibb_6,
My father was a phys-ed teacher and a coach of many sports.
You heal and grow when you are resting and even more when you are sleeping. The best way to build muscle for out right strength is the old method
used by 1950s strong men.
You will still gain in definition but not as much as with circuit training.
Three sets of ten with as much weight as you can stand
and resting that part of the body1-2 days while working out other parts.
Working out three times a week for 2-3 hrs gives you what you are looking for for riding. Lots of forward and reverse arm and rist curls. Dips
pull ups, bench and leg routines. Remember you must eat right to obtain the best results. muscles need protein to get stronger and bigger.
The harder you work the body the stronger it becomes.
Just dont damage it in the process by going too fast too soon.
Circuit training is the most popular weight routine now days because it builds definition mor than strenghth. It takes longer to build the power you need than by mass weight. Either way it is still good and picking up a fitness mag may help you. For riding you dont want to bulk up too much because you need to retain flexability. Swimming laps and playing racket ball are real
good for cardio. Also racket ball really improves your timing.

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
Rollingp~

There is no such thing as "defining the muscles" to define the muscle you need to lose the fat over the muscle.

to see the muscle fiber you must lose the fatty tissue over it

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
It really depends upon the intensity you use. If you are doing a low rep heavy weight routine and taking it to failure or serious fatique you will need the rest between sessions to let the muscles rebuild. If you are doing high rep, low weight and not going to failure you probably don't (if you are doing this routine with a lot of intensity you probably need the rest).

I always let my body tell me when it needs a rest. If I lift and the next day I don't feel that the muscles are tired I don't have a problem doing it again. If they feel fatigued, I let them rest. Right now because of time and lack of desire to be inside the gym, I lift 2 times a week for about an hour with excercises that hit all bodyparts - I can feel the muscle fatigue the next day but it is usually gone by the second day so I lift again.

The rule of thumb according to my trainers in college was to train heavy on two bodyparts one day, heavy on two more parts next day, and heavy on the last two on day three. Then do the same part split at a lighter weight, higher rep the following 3 days and rest completely one day. This is a bodybuilder type workout more than a powerlifter type workout.

Rest certainly doesn't hurt you if you are training hard. I know back when I was playing vball, I trained very hard to the point of overtraining. 3 hour practices were followed by a good hour in the gym - I loved to workout. When I quit the team (coach and I didn't agree on things), I didn't workout or play for about 2 weeks. I went to play on a vball team of other ex college players and my first jump to spike scared the heck out of me. I was up in the air looking down at the other team and realized I had my waist almost at the top of the net and I had to land!!!

Unfortunately, the super burst of strength didn't last many days because that's how muscles work. I had to get back to the gym. But the two weeks off certainly helped rest my overtrained body.

If you are overtraining, you will feel tired, lethargic, weak, and sometimes a bit depressed. Watch for the signs and take a rest if you see them. Most people can't overtrain.

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
Rollingp,I thought it was right, but I didn't want to tell him something that I have no way to back it up except from word of mouth from my powerlifter coach and so on.Also a body builder once said(I think it was Arnold) that there was no such thing as overtraing, but only a lack of nutrition and rest.This also kinda applys, but our friend Arnold had the genetics so many people would give for.Just look out for the signs that bbbom said and be sure to get a good nights rest.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Different people react differently to different stimulus, and everybody has a different goal. As bbbom has pointed out it is not only the working out that will cause you to overtrain, it is all of the other exertions you place on your body as well (mental as well as physical). I'm not exactly sure of what your goal is, but as long as you are getting enough sleep, and are fueling your body properly, and aren't under any kind of major stress; then training each body part once per week is probably a good starting point. Another part of this equation is how long should one be in the gym. Get in, warm up, train with high intensity, good quality movements (your first rep is just as important stimulus as the last so keep them all of the same high intensity and high quality) do your cardio and get out. At the longest, with warm up, and cardio included, you should be in there for 2 hrs. Your goal should be to give your body the most amount of stress in the least amount of time.
Within an hour of the workout try to get in some good quality protein and carbs this will speed recovery.
...but our friend Arnold had the genetics so many people would give for.
Not to mention help from his good friend Mr. Dianabol:confused:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
And, if you use a KTM 520 for weight, you'll get in shape twice as fast and look twice as good. :p
Sorry man, couldn't resist.

Top Bottom