Works Connection rear brake caliper guard help

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
Works Connection rear brake caliper guard help - H series KDX200

Just wondering if anyone has had experiences in fitting one of these aluminum guards.

In my case, I've fitted it, but was a very tight fit. Part of the guard digs into the brake line too much for my liking. I've since filed a groove in that area, which is a lil improvement.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Pic to come later.

Last edited:

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I've always wondered why a guard like this is necessary; seems like the caliper is in a very protected area of the bike.
Anyone ever damage a rear caliper, and if so, how?

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
Here's another pic, showing the original guard in place. This was taken some time ago. But I can't help but ask... does the brake line look to be correct? Does everything look right in the picture? Now I can't help but thinking 'perhaps' the brake line is for a different bike... Oh and by the way, this is a 1996 model (H2).

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I wouldn't want that wearing on the line. Why not take a file and remove a bit more metal from the guard until the brake line passes through cleanly?

As for damage, I'm glad I have one of these guards on my caliper. I ride in a lot of rock infested areas and the guard has certainly saved my caliper on more than one occasion

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
How does a rock large enough to put a caliper out of commission get up on TOP of the swingarm to even contact the caliper???
(Unless, of course, you are crashing...in which case I would think your rear caliper might be the least of your worries...)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
my brake line looks the same I have a 97-98 kdx200

Mudpack rocks come in all shapes and sizes and sometime you'll end up passing through a crevis on the bald face of a mountian and notice a boudler will be sticking out at the top more than the bottom, and perhaps you have a mild get off around these boulders, the guard might be the difference between getting of the mountain with front and back brakes or just front brakes.. I have a plastic one and just hope for the best..

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I do think the caliper and or brake line was from a different bike. From my stock caliper the line came out and turned down toward the swingarm. I buggered up my caliper though, and am using one from a yz250. The line angles up like yours in the pic. I could not fit the stock guard for the same reason you're having a problem with yours.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
mudpack said:
How does a rock large enough to put a caliper out of commission get up on TOP of the swingarm to even contact the caliper???

I've no idea where you ride, but in the places I ride there are many areas where the rocks are larger than me and the bike combined and the gullies sometimes have rock outcroppings and are narrow enough that they can reach out and grab many things above the swingarm not the least of which is the caliper. :nod:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom