Worn out seat that has to go...

250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
Any suggestions? I have an old KX 250 (88) that I have been riding quite a bit lately, and I can not put up with the seat any longer. AFter a few hours in the saddle my butt is so sore I want to take up a new hobby...na....I spend a lot of time on motorcycles mostly street riding, so it's not just conditioning. My riding buddies have all comented on the harsh seat after riding it. I just got a new seat cover, the new grippy type....nice.... My question is about seat foam. Could I go to an upholstery shop and buy a chunk of foam, and then cut and mold it to fit? I am trying to do this as cheap as possible...So I didn't want to to spring for the extra 50 bucks on a factory replacement foam piece. Thanks in advance.

J3R

Apr 29, 2002
I hate to pirate your post but could you tell me were you got the seat cover for an 88 KX I've been looking. All I can find is one for a KX 500 for that year.
Thanks J3R

250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
J3R.... the seat is the same from a KX 500 from 87-00. That gives you good choices for color selections.... butt I'm more interested in the foam.

J3R

Apr 29, 2002
Thanks guys, the Gutz seat covers are just what I was looking for
J3R

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Hey 250, simple solution, stand up more :) That's what these bikes are made for. I wouldn't recomend going to a foam shop. The density and quality of a replacement will be that much better.

Did you try factory effex replacement foam?

bad ant

Jul 15, 2002
you know for those who do things on the cheap (like me!!) I found the best solution to the search for a seat cover. go to an upholsterer in your area that recovers bike seats and buy an off-cut of vinyl! My 93 KX had a worn and faded blue and flurescent pink (yuk!) cover but now has a sleak black one that cost me $10 New Zealand dollars! ({about $6 US!) it was vinyl made for Buell road bikes and took about an hour to fit properly but was well worth it. :D Incidentally custom graphics kits can be reproduced by sign printing companies at a fraction of One industries and factory effex prices. (hey! the bike only cost me $1100 US!! no point in pouring in heaps of cash!!)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…