Worn teeth on kickstarter (internal gear)

wildturkey

Nov 12, 2003
Hi,

another problem i have come across is that the kickstarter (internal gear) must have worn teeth, if i crank it hard it does not engage but if i crank it ultra slow and it grabs then it cranks.....is this a major job to do/replace?

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
I snapped the shaft on my YZ mxr diagonaly across the splines (only exposed section). It was something like a 30$ part and a 30 min job. Just had to take the right-side case off, take the broken one out, and put the new one in. Just a spring and a gear, easy. It's a good idea to replace the kickstart shaft seals (I know people who havent that lucked out), and inspect your clutch while you are in there. I probably don't have to tell you this, but replace any and all gaskets that have had their seals broken or been seperated from their origonal seals in any way.
-Nick

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Ooooohhh! My buddie's 96 200 does that, and he has just kicked it slow untill it catches a few teeth, then he lets it come back and gives it a full kick. He has done this for about a year, its a pain in the ass, but he didnt have to buy any parts. If it were my bike, I would change it, but thats me.
-Nick

Fastbelly

Nov 30, 2001
You have to replace both kickstart gears. They are quite pricey in the UK so I suspect they will cost alot over there too. The odd thing with these gears is that they dont look worn when you look at them but they just dont engauge properly. Pop the new ones in and it's perfect. Strange. And it's such a joy to have a reliable kickstart again!

Fastbelly

Fastbelly

Nov 30, 2001
You have to replace both kickstart gears. They are quite pricey in the UK so I suspect they will cost alot over there too. The odd thing with these gears is that they dont look worn when you look at them but they just dont engauge properly. Pop the new ones in and it's perfect. Strange. And it's such a joy to have a reliable kickstart again!

Fastbelly

Top Bottom