Worth the extra cash for an H-series?

flyingbrick

Mar 7, 2010
Hi all,
I'm new to this site but have looked around a little bit. Just sold my 74KX125 and am looking for something more practical and a KDX200 was suggested by a friend. These look amazing and sound like just the bike for me. I'm not all that experienced of a rider but i feel like this would be a great bike to advance my skills on.

So my question is: it looks like the H-series(95+) are a few hundred more then say a 90 kdx200. Is it worth the extra money to get the H-series? I have been talking to a guy about a 90 with a newer top end, FMF pipe, new reeds, new tires, new heavier fork springs, and newer plastics. And he wants 800, seems like an awesome deal but i was just wondering if its really worth it to get an H-series.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Hi Flyingbrick and welcome to the forum. Firstly a KDX may be just the bike to advance your skills on. KDXs are cheapish to run, are reliable and are easy on the maintenance.
You might like to post the type of riding you do and maybe even your height and weight so the guys here can have a better understanding of your bike needs. Back to your question.
I have an 06 KDX200 and a friend of mine has a 93. I rode his the other day and for me personally I wouldn't say mine is better, just different. Where there may be a preferance to the H series is in the fact that it is newer and therefore the parts should not need replacing as soon (gears, shafts, clutch basket etc.) especially if you get a 2000+. For me it just came down to the fact that the newer the bike, the less the previous owners have had the opportunity to poorly maintain it. Would I buy an older bike, yes if it was in very good condition. Apparently there is something in the KIPS that lasts longer in the newer H series (something was redesigned) or at least that's what the guy at my local bike shop told me.

flyingbrick

Mar 7, 2010
Thanks Joburble,
Well, at the moment my riding experiences have been out at Hollister Hills SVRA and i really enjoyed the trial riding, and my friend at home has a small mx style track at his house i rode on often. This bike though would be more for tight wooded trails in the sierras and more enduro style. My girlfriends dad rides a big KTM and i'd just like something i can kinda keep up/learn to ride well on. Also if i can find a way to move this thing around on my Jeep(hence the user name) without a tow hitch it will be making occasional trips to the Pismo dunes cause i go to school about 15mins from there.
I'm around 5'7" and 185lbs...

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
in my experience, the H series may be a bit more nimble. At least it feels that way because of the improved ergos. The E series engine is rumored to make more power than the H series engine. I have no proof of this, but I've heard it many times from different people. Considering the amount of power my 89 puts out with just a few simple mods, I don't find it hard to believe.

The H series is a nicer looking bike IMO. The E series certainly looks a bit dated. That's all the better to me, makes it even more entertaining to show my rear fender to my buddies on brand new KTM's when we're out riding!

I have no problem finding parts for my E series. Most stuff is still available. The one bad habit of the E series is that they like to eat the power valves. I have replaced my sub port valves 3 times, but I think I have finally found a solution. My last install seems to be holding up much better.

If you find a nice E series (the one you mention sounds quite nice), do not pass it up just because it's an older bike. They are excellent trail machines, and will take you anywhere you want to go. Preference should probably be for an H though, just for aftermarket parts availability, and the newer ergonomics.

flyingbrick

Mar 7, 2010
Alright awesome advise guys!
I won't be able to get the bike till my spring break so I have some time to decide. Here are the pics from the ad. Any analysis would be appreciated. I had a tough time putting in a URL or else i would have posted the ad.

Attachments

• 3kb3oa3p95Ob5T85Rda3489b291a6846d17c6.jpg
    3kb3oa3p95Ob5T85Rda3489b291a6846d17c6.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 344
  • 3kd3m13pd5O95T25Raa34211f44a677ac12a1.jpg
    3kd3m13pd5O95T25Raa34211f44a677ac12a1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 3n13p73of5O95T35R1a34644cb0989d5210de.jpg
    3n13p73of5O95T35R1a34644cb0989d5210de.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 353

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Budget $30 for black fork gaiters! Yikes! :)

We just did a "purple-ectomy" on my Son's 1990 KX-60 last night, and put a black and green seat cover on it. It made enough of a difference that even my Wife noticed... which means it made a big difference...

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
That's a nice clean '90. I'd have a hard time walking away from that for 800. If you hand him $600 cash I wonder if he'd take it.....

flyingbrick

Mar 7, 2010
awesome guys, this is in SFbay area craigslist and its listed at 900 but the guy said he'd take 800cash, well i hope he still has it when i can go take a look... and hopefully i'll be on here a lot more.

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Welcome to the site ... I'm just down the road in Sacramento. That bike is what you are looking for. It already has pipe and springs. I also notice FRP chain guide. If it runs and shifts ok ... well worth the price. In this area , trust me , that is a $1000 to $1200 bike. It won't last long. Dave

flyingbrick

Mar 7, 2010
Alright awesome, i wanted a california estimate.. I know there are good deals to be had on H-series bikes but i guess out here they're few and far between. If its there in a week and a half it will be mine.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
a fair price in this day and age is not really going to move fast....... but a bargain may with the US tax returns coming in this time of year, I found a 20ft travel trailer for $750 cant go see it till saturday so it will be gone more than likely

Top Bottom