would a 125 2 stroke be good for trail riding

pitbull49990

Jul 14, 2007
i am wondering if a kx cr rm yz ktm all 125cc 2 stroke would be good for trail riding i am 5'7" i would like too get a bike but dont no if it will be good on the trails i ride at towercity pa and theres about 88% rocks

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
With some mods it could be a good trail bike. Like a exhaust pipe for some bottom/mid range power. And a flywheel weight will get you started....

But if you wanted to spend more money you could get the cylinder ported for bottom/midrange power. Or get a 144cc kit from eric gorr...(i hear those do wonders!)

Oh and get the sespension setup for your weight.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
In my youth - MANY years ago - I rode an '86 YZ125 at Tower City most weekends. The bike was fine as long as I jetted it properly for the elevation and temps I was riding in and kept it cleared out regularly with some wide open riding. If my memory of 20 years ago serves, there are enough open areas to keep a 125 opened up and have fun on the trails, too.

As for the rocks, install heavy duty tubes and run your tires closer to 16-18psi instead of 12-14psi and you should be ok. The extra pressure will help prevent the rocks from cutting into your sidewall and puncturing your tubes. Carrying a spare tube in the size for your front tire and some tire changing tools is also a good idea, just in case.

Have fun and good luck.

pitbull49990

Jul 14, 2007
ok never thought about the tires but thats a great idea

ghunter said:
In my youth - MANY years ago - I rode an '86 YZ125 at Tower City most weekends. The bike was fine as long as I jetted it properly for the elevation and temps I was riding in and kept it cleared out regularly with some wide open riding. If my memory of 20 years ago serves, there are enough open areas to keep a 125 opened up and have fun on the trails, too.

As for the rocks, install heavy duty tubes and run your tires closer to 16-18psi instead of 12-14psi and you should be ok. The extra pressure will help prevent the rocks from cutting into your sidewall and puncturing your tubes. Carrying a spare tube in the size for your front tire and some tire changing tools is also a good idea, just in case.

Have fun and good luck.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Yes, I'm on my 2nd YZ125.

I use them exclusively for woods/trail riding. Start by jetting it properly; major gaines here. Next add a flywheel weight, then a larger rear sprocket. You'll be happy with it by this point, and will know what you want to work on next; maybe suspension.

God luck!

Jul 9, 2007
I run my KX 125 in the woods alot and its fine for the most part in open/easy to semi-difficult trails. In the real tough technical crap like steep, rocky hills, it is tough to keep the bike in the meat of the power. I personally havent done much modding to my bike for the woods, but the other guys have recommended some very logical things. I have softened up the suspension a bit and cleaned up my jetting in the woods.

The most effective way to use the 125 in the rocks is just to keep as much momentum as possible all the way threw the rocky section. I live in Western Mass and the terrain is very similar to what you describe in PA. You will definatly want to do some fork work, I have found by softening my forks up a moderate amount it has made the bike alot less harsh in the rocks.

pitbull49990

Jul 14, 2007
yeah i would like too get the ktm 144sx but i want to buy sumthing used and around 1500 and i cant find and ktm 125's or 144's for that cheap thanks for the sugestion thoe

Jul 9, 2007
Well what kind of riding are you gonna do? are you planning on mixing in a good amount of MX? Or are you gonna just stick to the trails? If so Joey has a point. It doesnt necessarily have to be a 4-stroke trail bike, but why not get a decent trail bike like a 200 Kawasaki KDX or KTM EXC along those lines. They have sweet powerbands and suspensions for the woods and even if you rode a little MX now and then they would definatly do fine.

Maybe even a TTR 225 or a CRF 230 or something, they are more on the playbike scale but it all depends on what exactly you are gonna do. Are you looking to go out and rip the woods as hard as you can or just causually trail ride?

pitbull49990

Jul 14, 2007
i am going too do long distance trail riding alot of big rocks mostly all rocks probily no mx but the reason i want 2 get a 2 stroke is because its so light and manuverable around the trails(so im thinking) or possibly a crf250x i dont know if the crf 250x will be to big for me i am 5'7" 140 pounds

pitbull49990

Jul 14, 2007
and joey you do have a good point too i would like 2 get a ktm 200 exc but i want 2 get sumthing used and i cant find many of them my price range is like 1500 possibly 1800

Jul 9, 2007
Eazy-E, I live in Berkshire County...Savoy to be exact. Around here lately it seems like its less of a crime to sell black tar heroin thne ride a dirt bike of any kind, ya cant even ride in the State Forest anymore...oh yeah but they are logging it bare...alright haha I gotta relax, thats another topic all together! :blah:

yama125rider

Jul 17, 2007
the only thing i would like to tell you is that i know a guy that rode a cr 125 on a few trails befor going on the track at our local dnr track and when he got down there his bike wouldnt start back up after it died because he fowled his spark plug

Jul 9, 2007
Yeah Ive fouled a few spark plugs myself on my 125 in the woods. I switched from Klotz to Bel Ray MC1 and also jetted according to Pro Circuit jetting (pilot down a size, needle moved to the 2nd position) and I havent had a problem since. These bikes are made to be revved up high and if you are running them at lower RPMS for extended periods of time in the woods, pull the clutch in and rev it up a few times to clean it out. That will usually keep you from fouling as long as your jetting is pretty close.

But its always wise to bring a few plugs and a wrench with you just incase, especially on the longer trail rides.

Top Bottom