would a 125 two stroke be too zippy?

pyrex

Registered
Mar 12, 2007
I am 6'2 and 155 pounds. i am looking at getting a new bike this summer to replace my xr100. i was looking at getting a 125 two stroke as the physical size is good. but i am afraid it will be a bit too much power since im used to riding a four stroke 100.

what are your thoughts?

pyrex

Registered
Mar 12, 2007
suppose i should answere these first

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6'1 155 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?about as agressive as you can get on an xr100
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? gravel pits and lots of them.
4) Do you have any riding experience?3 years on a 1983 xr100
5) Do you think you will race ? doubt it
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?yep.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?i like the simplicity of the two stroke motor but the reliability and low emissions of four. i want either yamaha or honda
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? i have a really good yamaha dealer and honda dealer
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? dad's payin for half... so about 4000
10) Do you live in California? no

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I'd lean towards the yamaha, as it the taller bike. You are definately in store for a surprize going from an XR100 to 125 MX bike. That's not a bad thing. I wish I could see your face after your first test ride. Take your time, be a bit cautious and you will be fine.

Good luck, Steve.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I think a 125 would be fine, but a 2 stroke 250 might be easier for you to get used to - the power spread is a bit broader and more tractable. The 125s are very "high strung".

A 4 stroke 250 MX bike would be even closer to your XR - except with about 4 times the power. :laugh:

pyrex

Registered
Mar 12, 2007
what about reliability? from my experience two strokes have sucked for going when you need them to.

Last edited:

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Mine has run all year on the same plug. These are race bikes your talking about. They need constant maintenence. If you maintain them like a trail bike, they won't last.

Keep the air filter clean (once a week), keep the trans oil changed (once a week), mix fresh premium gas with a synthetic oil (one designed for MX bikes, mix only as much as your gonna need to fill the tank), wash and lube the bike after every ride (chain, foot pegs, folding part of shifter lever, pivot points on levers), coat plastic with a preservative (armor all, turtle wax F-21, silicone, ect...) and a top end at least once a year.

Do these simple tasks and a 2-stroke will never let you down. Neglect it and it will repay you at the worst time.

Good luck, Steve.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Let's see, you are 15 years old and already 6'2" tall.

I am trying to picture this kid on a XR100....

I really doubt that you would find a 125 two stroke to be too zippy. I bet you would get used to a 250 two stroke really quick.

Rod

kurt15

May 22, 2006
"Let's see, you are 15 years old and already 6'2. I am trying to picture this kid on a XR100...." ... hey man dont make fun, my first bike was a dr-z125 when i was 14.... 6'2 176ish :cool: heheh

pyrex

Registered
Mar 12, 2007
its all good. the xr100 hauls me fine but its just getting a bit too small.

the 4000$ is in canadian. im from saskatchewan.

braapbraap

Nov 15, 2006
dude go for it. i just sold my xr 100 and got a yz 125. im only about 5'6 and like 160lbs. the bike rips and its a pretty big jump from an xr100 but i adjusted pretty easily. i cant picture you being 6'2 and 155 lbs. im around the same wieght and 5'6 and im pretty thin.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i had the chance to ride a KX125 and the bottom end seemed to have some lag to it, but once that powerband kicks in she scoots along real good.... had to the chance to ride a KX250 just after the 125 and holy jesus...

pyrex

Registered
Mar 12, 2007
k i think its about settled. 125yz(or cr?).

just one more question. can i make the bike quieter and produce less emissions? i know some people are just going to say get a four stroke.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
A well jetted two-stroke doesn't smoke much. Mine barely has any blue in the exhaust. I ride trails so I can get away with a little bit on the lean side for my jetting. Any 125 will suit you fine so find the one in the best shape for your price range.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Is it used or a left over new bike? 125s are going for dirt cheap out here right now because four-strokes are taking over for motocross and 125s aren't the greatest trail riding bikes. If it's a left over brand new bike, I'd try and talk him down a few bucks but $4600 isn't bad. If it's a used bike I wouldn't pay over $4000 for it. Even $4000 is pushing it in my opinion.

pyrex

Registered
Mar 12, 2007
wow, this dealer is usually known for good deals. i doubt id be able to talk him down on the price because im just a kid(15) and the salesman would prolly just be looking to score the most money off me.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'm just going from the market out here and what I'd pay. I may be low balling the price for what you pay in Saskatchewan. Out here, there is a 2004 KX125 with a complete rebuild for $3900 which is about average for that type of bike in my area.

Remember, MSRP is around $6000 for a brand new 125 (I think), and this one is over 3 years old and used. It could be a good deal, but for me I'd try and talk down the price. The kid factor may come into effect so if possible, get your parents to help you out when buying a bike.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
I'm just going from the market out here and what I'd pay. I may be low balling the price for what you pay in Saskatchewan. Out here, there is a 2004 KX125 with a complete rebuild for $3900 which is about average for that type of bike in my area.

Remember, MSRP is around $6000 for a brand new 125 (I think), and this one is over 3 years old and used. It could be a good deal, but for me I'd try and talk down the price. The kid factor may come into effect so if possible, get your parents to help you out when buying a bike.

if youre speaking in USD's, which im assuming since youre using our dollar symbol, then $3900 for a brand new or used '04 KX125 is awful. at our local dealer, they had a brand new '04 KX125 for $2400. try, either by yourself or with older friends/parents, to get it for $3000, other than that, unless you want to spend the money, find something else.

Top Bottom