Hackstall

May 29, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I am 6' 2" 200lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderate.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mainly trails, woods, fields with friends.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes about 25+ hours on backwoods trails on my buddy's 1978 250 2 stroke enduro. Fun but a bit of a dog as far as power goes.

5) Do you think you will race ?
No racing

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes, I do all my own work to my car.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Definitely a 2 stroke.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
The major brands are available.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
I'm looking to spend up to $2,000 on a used bike.

10) Do you live in California?
No.

11) Your age?
30 years.

12) Anything else?

I'm looking for a bike that will be comfortable to ride. Looking for something around the mid-90's. I initially was thinking a 250 2 stroke but now I am thinking that it might be too much power for what I plan to use it for. Also, will a 125 frame accomodate my height and weight? Any suggestions of bikes that fit my needs? Maybe a 200?

Hackstall

May 29, 2007
It is a Yamaha DT250. I believe that it came at about 15HP but I doubt it even produces that since it hasn't been treated well in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. My only concern is getting a KDX220 within my budget.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Since you are an adult and since budget is an obvious issue based on your size I'd recommend finding a 250. The 125 frame will have no problem with your height/weight, however the 125 engine would likely struggle or at least make your job as the rider much more difficult if you get into tough trails where you need torque to make the next hill etc. With a 250 you won't be looking to upgrade 6 months down the line when you get more comfortable on the bike. As far as the 250 being too much bike, how fast it goes is directly proportional to how far you turn the throttle.

Hackstall

May 29, 2007
Thanks Chili, thanks everyone else for your help. I have decided to look for a KDX220 that fits into my budget, failing which I know that I can easily find a 250 that will. What would be a comfortable 250 to get? For instance, I have heard that while the Yamaha YZ250 is a great bike, it sin't so comfortable to ride on trails. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Given the budget you're going to be looking at a wide spectrum of potential 250's for most to offer comment on, I can't think of any off the top of my head that would be a definite do not buy. As far as the KDX that is a good choice but can be difficult to locate used in some parts of Canada as they didn't sell many at least around MB anyway.

Top Bottom