Would a bike carrier be too much on my car?

Hackstall

May 29, 2007
I am just getting into dirt biking. I had initially planned to either make or buy a bike carrier. I was considering something like the MX Tailmate or making something like the MX tailmate (it is a small platform that you bolt the footpegs of the bike to unlike the models with a rail).

I did a search of the forums and read a number of posts concerning bike carriers that have made me rethink that maybe my car is not capable of handling a bike carrier. I have a 1998 Buick Century (a bigger sedan). I also plan to haul around a 250 dirt bike.

Would a carrier be to much weight on my car? Should I just get a trailer?

Obviously the reasons I would want a carrier have everything to do with its portability....a trailer can sometimes be a pain.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the only issue with the carrier would be the tongue weight. The weight of a dirt bike would probably squat the rear of your mighty Buick. You might think about some cheap air shocks along with the carrier (as well as a decent receiver hitch). Should work okay then.

Hackstall

May 29, 2007
I realize that tongue weight will be an issue so I plan to modify a class III hitch to fit my car either way. That will open up my options with the 2" receiver.

The shock idea is a good one...I'll look into it.

Hackstall

May 29, 2007
I just spoke to a co-worker who is an engineer and also restores cars in his spare time. He says that there my car can probably not safely handle a bike carrier even with the air shock upgrade.

So, this answers my question. I will have to get a trailer.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Hackstall said:
The shock idea is a good one...I'll look into it.
Another plus about airshocks:
When not hauling you bike, fill up the shocks and you'll have a WAY COOL Buick drag-racer thing going on....... :whoa:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom