Would Glass-Beading be too harsh on Power Valve?

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
Picked up a used 2001 KX250 and I'm putting in a new top-end. Pulled apart the Power Valve this evening and WHOA :ohmy: . . . serious carbon build up and black goo !! I think I could scrape some diamonds off the stuff is caked on that hard. I'm on my second application of oven cleaner and it's just not cutting through the carbon build up. I don't think the previous owner ever disassembled the Power Valve. I have access to a glass-beader and I'm wondering if this would be too harsh to try and remove the carbon build up? It seems there is a "finish" on the components (similar to bearings) that is shiny and I would guess aids in smoother movement. I'm concerned glass beading the components may remove the finish and won't mesh/slide as smooth as it should. Do I have reason to be concerned, or could I just have at it with the glass-beader?

Firewalker

Aug 10, 2003
i used a glass beader on my kx500 powervalve and it never seemed to cause any problems. one of the things that i did is drop the air pressure on the glass beader to 50psi

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
As long as you keep the nozzle movig you should be fine. When your done make for sure you get ALL the glass bead cleaned off that stuff will shred an engine.

Steve

Top Bottom