Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I ride a '01 CR125 and weigh 190lbs. with gear. "C" rider MX. MX Tech site says that I should go from a 0.40 to 0.44 fork spring, and from a 4.6 to a 4.7 on the shock.

If I change to these springs, will I need a revalve?

Any other recommendations on springs or settings are welcome.

Thanks

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jay when you say from a 0.4 to a 0.44 -the std cr comes with 0.43 forks and 4.7 shock has yours been altered?If they are the std springs i would keep them.

Changing the springs doesnt mean revalving-its just he 1st step on suspension set up-nothings works with the wrong springs.

For your weight the valving isnt too far off-do you like the present set up?

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
Marcus,

I am at work, away from my manual, so the stock info on my post was from mx tech. I thought that the fork springs were a 0.43 but wasn't sure. I guess that MX Tech must have the info wrong. The reason that I posted this is that from everything I have read, 125's are set up for a 150lb. rider, and being 190lb. with gear, I thought I might be giving up something.

Also, one of my riding buddies just had his suspension revalved and resprung on his '01 YZ 125. The suspension shop told him that at his weight (180lb.) he would need stiffer springs. His suspension seems very good, but the main difference that I noticed is that his bike feels planted, where mine seems to wallow a little more. So, I was just wondering if I needed springs at my weight.

I am happy with my suspension setup right now, I guess I am just curious about what I may have set up wrong. Since my stock springs are so close to the recommedations for my weight, I will probably concentrate on a little more power and better riding ability.

When I am riding my bike I love it, but when I am stuck at work and not riding, I can't get riding and mods out of my head.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jay im just the same -like to think about stuff all the time.
A normal 125 should be set up for 150lb rider-im 170lb expert and i find many harsh-blame the american bike press for that.

Your springs should be close enough so lets start on the basics
Make sure your sag is set 100mm is good for stability 95mm better IMO for MX.
With regards to wallowing -what are your clickers set to-you may just need 3-5 more clicks of compression by the sounds of it-does both ends do this?

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
Marcus, my clickers are still at the stock settings. I did not really have anything to compare it to besides the KX 125 that I used to have. That was until I rode my buddy's YZ a couple of weeks ago.

The wallowing that I refered to may be a little of an overstatement. Basically, his suspension is stiffer and rides higher. My suspension doesn't feel bad, but I can feel mine moving up and down more over dips and bumps. Nothing that really affects the control or stability. I just figured that I may be to heavy for my springs. But, I really don't want a harsh setup either. Since it doesn't seem that the springs for my weight are that much heavier, adjusting the clickers might just do the trick. Lets face it, I'm not going to be making any supercross 75 ft triples.

I have set my sag at 100mm, but I was trying to do this by myself when I did it. So, I believe that I will try to accurately check this (maybe even try 95mm) and play with the clickers. It has been below freezing here for a week now, so I haven't been able to ride. But I have an indoor race this weekend, so I may change the setup a little and see what that does.

It can't make me much slower. ;)

Top Bottom