Would like to hear from 300 and 380 owners

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Well, now I'm looking at 2-strokes. Thought I'd never get one again, but the type of riding I do, a 2-stroke would suit me better. Just not sure on either a EXC or MXC 300 or 380. I'm looking at riding Hare & Hounds and Grand Prixs. I would like to race Adelanto and Elsinore next year. I've been away from riding for 15 years and I never did race to begin with. I do know the EXC has the wide ratio tranny and the MXC the close ratio. Any help?

------------------

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
Ramski,

I have owned a 00 300 EXC, 99 380 SX and a 01 520 SX (for sale). I think the 300 EXC would be your best bet. This bike will do it all. It's magic in the woods. The 380 has way, way, way to much power and vibration. The bike would be great for drag racing, but thats about it. I would not rule out a four stroke, the new 400 and 520 are incredable. I have to sell one of my bikes (300 or 520)and trust me it was one of the hardest decisions I had to make, both bikes are so good at everything. But trust me on this one (I'm sure a lot of people will back me up) you can't go wrong with the 300EXC.

------------------

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
I have a 380 mxc and am really enjoying it. The power is definitely plentlyfull and can be used in an explosive fashion.
As for vibration / excess power etc. it really depends on what you're used to and what you need it for. Having ridden big bore 2 and 4 strokes for a while now, I am perfectly comfortable belting through the tight woods in 2nd gear as WOT it top through long straights and sweepers.
Remember, they are stil essentially a bored out 250 and shares the same geometry / weight / handling charictaristics except for the higher centrifugial engine force and the throttle (detornator) being more sensitive.

------------------

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I've owned a '99 380exc, and I own a '99 300mxc. I race Hare and Hound and Hare Scrambles. I am faster on the 300, and less tired at the end of the day. The 380 is a better bike in the open stuff, the 300 is better in the tight stuff. When talking about the trannys, the same would be true, exc in more open, mxc in tight. However in the sand the mxc can pull a higher gear. The 380 has more grunt climbing, but the 300 is easier for me to climb with?? If you are a big guy, I would strongly consider the 380. I am 6', 195, and the 300mxc is great for me.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

Deznut

Sep 5, 2000
If you intend to blast around most of the time in the smooth stuff, I am sure the 380 would fit the bill. If you prefer more technical terrain, the 300 is perfect. Think of it as a 250 with more low end and "chuggability". I have the 300 MXC and I prefer the technical stuff. It's laid out longer and "roomier" than the jap bikes and it runs like a real stout 250. Plush suspension too. If you plan to race H&H's I would agree with Strick. The EXC would probably be a better choice. I like the close ratio gearing, but I don't do any racing and I can see where mine might be geared too low for desert racing. The EXC first and second gear are the same as the MXC so you'd still have the lower gearing for the really tight stuff. Hard to choose between two really good bikes, but I think the 300 is the best seller in KTM's line and I don't think that is a coincidence. I am sure it will wear you out less too.

------------------

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
I own a 380exc right now, a 2000. Previously had a '98 380exc. I go 230lbs dry...

Best two buddies are on 300's. My next bike will be a 2002 300exc.

Best bike on the planet for racing and all around use, although with your experience, a 250exc would also be great..... Are you riding in an age class, and whadda weigh?

------------------

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I asked the same question a couple months ago. I ended up going with the 300exc. I love the bike. It is one incredible ride. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the choices. I can tell you the 300 makes very good power from top to bottom and is not too tiring after a long day. I spent all day yesterday at a place called Gorman. It's in SoCal and is a mix of trails, hills, and sandwashes (saw my first rattlesnake of the year). I had plenty of power for all of it. I wasn't nearly as tired as I am after riding my CR500 all day in the same place. I never did jump on a 380 but from what I hear it is a little closer to my 500 than what I was looking for. If you do a search you should be able to find my post about the same thing. There were a lot of good responses. Good luck.

------------------
Now thats a BIG piston!!
Go big or go home!!
CR500,XR600,KTM300exc

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
Don't worry about the 300 being able to haul you around if you're a big guy. I go about 250 without gear and the bike just rips. It will chug down low through the tight or rip on the top out in the open. I rode mine 2 days in a row this past weekend and I have never been happier with a bike. Last year when I was riding the XR-400 I would be real tired and worn out after riding the bike. Fighting the weight and the suspension were just to much work.

If you are riding in large open areas I think the EXC would be a better choice. One other thing to consider is if you are just getting back into riding after such a long layoff.... is the power delivery of the bike. I think the 380 might be quite intimidating just coming back into riding.

Good luck with your choice and happy shopping!!
smile.gif

------------------
(formerly XR44ME) Rick

AMA Member
NETRA Member
'00 KTM 300 MX/C

Desert Guy

Oct 17, 2000
I have a Y2K 380 EXC and it is a great bike for desert riding. I really debated between the EXC and the MXC, and am glad that I bought the EXC. The 380 doesn't have that much vibration. In fact I never even think about the vibration on my bike and it isn't even a factor. KTMs rule and I'm sure either bike you buy you will be happy with.

------------------

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I have an '01 300 MXC and after only four rides on it, I'm very pleased. It's a blast to ride, but what really makes it special is its versatility. The bike is great for lugging along in tight woods, but it will also work on a MX track and the faster stuff. I agree with some of the previous responses, that the 300 feels like a stout 250. The power is similar to a healthy 250, but it has more low-end and chuggability. I don't use the clutch nearly as much in the tight stuff as I would on a 250. It's amazing how low in the rpm range the 300 will chug along. It has a lot of flywheel effect, almost like a two-stroke tractor. But at the same time, when you screw the throttle on, it rips!

I haven't ridden a 380, so I can't compare the two. My initial opinion is that unless you're riding wide-open in the desert all the time or constantly climbing monster hills, the 300 would be more than adequate for your needs. I can definitely vouch that the 300 is a very nice motorcycle that you would no doubt enjoy. I think it's a do-it-all bike. If I could afford it, I would have a warehouse full of motorcycles at my disposal. But as things are, I can only really afford one nice motorcycle and the 300 was the bike for me. It does everything I need it to do.

For the riding that I do, woods, hare scrambles and some motocross, the MXC version is fine. If you're riding in a lot of open areas, then perhaps the EXC would be a better choice with the wide ratio transmission. I didn't need the lights and I didn't think I would need the extra gearing, that's why I went for the MXC. Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can lose either way but my advice is the 300.

------------------

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Thanks everyone. Since I don't have a bike yet, when I do ride its with my brothers when they go to Gorman, Ca. Great place to ride. I do plan on riding here in Arizona since I now live here once I get my bike.

A little more background on me. I'm 5'8" and about 190lbs (still losing some more). I'm 32 so I'll be racing vet classes. Looks like the 300 exc is for me. I don't really have a use for the lights so that'll be the first things off the bike. Did KTM miss something here. I thought the MXC line was supposed to be for desert riding. Why did they put in a close-ratio in it? Oh well, thanks for everyones input.

------------------

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
MXC = desert, according to our local dealer.

It pulls hard in sand, no gaps in ratios while shifing. The MXC makes it easier to stay in the powerband, because of the close ratio. Desert terrain, makes quick throttle response a must at times.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

Montana300

May 4, 2000
I ride a '99 300EXC and have a friend with a '98 380MXC. I have not ridden the 380EXC.
IMO, the 300EXC is the perfect motorcycle. For me the extra low end of the 380 is not worth its lack of revs. There is even less difference in the low end since I added the Gnarly pipe and TC2 spark arrestor to my 300.

This weekend we rode in a fairly open area [using 3/4/5th gear mostly], and even with tallish 14/51 gearing my 300 would pull the front wheel up in each gear except fifth. I have had the bike since new in '99 and it still amazes me.

------------------

Top Bottom