Would You Try An Aluminum Composite Cylinder Liner In Your Engine?

What's it worth?

• More horsepower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No coating required

• Cost less than $100

• Total voters

Simon Beno

Mar 15, 2015
I really want to know?

I'm curious if you would try a self lubricating, lightweight, closer expansion rate to your aluminum blocks and cylinders, high thermal conductivity, high strength, aluminum graphite silicon carbide material. We have a service that can cast cylinder liners with solid graphite particles and solid silicon carbide nano particles evenly distributed through impregnation of the entire casting.

This means reduction in engine seizure. It also means no Nikasil, Alusil, Chrome, Moly-disulfide, or any other electroplating or plasma coating surface treatment is absolutely unnecessary.

We have been searching for the ideal dimensions for 4 stroke liner. Is there any common ground between liner dimensions and different engine manufacturers. We have mold sizes that are around 3.25" od 2.9" id by 3.5" tall. Would this fit in dirtbike OEMs across the board? What vehicles would this size liner fit into? The composite castings can be machine down to desired thickness. We recommend diamond honing stones due to the content of silicon carbide in the aluminum. We have been told it is easier to cut than Nikasil. We are a small but growing company 5 members strong. We are learning more and more everyday.

Questions for the racer:

How often do you replace your cylinder liners? Are they flaking?

Have you considered aluminum composites?

I want your opinion. Reply to this or email me and I can share more details. Thank you for your time let's talk.

Sincerely,

Simon
simon@intelligentcomposites.com

bigger transparent IC Logo.jpg
IMG_20141124_103231444.jpg IMG_20141216_101358435.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Do you have any type of test data on the use of your liners in high speed (up to 15,000 rpm) four-stroke engines? Specifically longevity studies, bore distortion versus cylinder bore diameter and liner thickness?

Simon Beno

Mar 15, 2015
Very good questions, thank you for asking.

We have the capability to cast just about any shape/size at our partner facility Eck Industries in Manitowoc Wisconsin. Their machine shops have the capabilities to cut 2 stroke ports. The liners that are shown in the pictures were poured into an air-brake compressor cylinder mold and have been lathed down by one of our affiliates to fit into a Hyosung 650. Our liners should have a minimum thickness of at least 1/8". We are not at a full production scale yet, we are essentially probing the market as to not put all our eggs in one basket or one engine. We hope to eventually sell these liners for all types of engines.

As of now successful test proves viability is an air brake compressor with Al-SiC-Graphite liner. Tests were done by the Oshkosh Truck Corporation. Block and ring wear tests and low lubrication tests. The compressor ran for 2800 hours without seizing.

Results: Compared to Cast Iron Unit, Discharge Temp 50 (F) deg. less, ring wear less, no carbon on pistons or head, oil by-pass 65% less, 40% decrease in horsepower draw.

However,

I have a paper written by AE Engine Components from 1987 who tested aluminum graphite silicon liners (not silicon carbide) in an Alpha Romeo, Hiro SMX 125cc (2 stroke), and Ferrari F1 engines. This technology was referred as Siligraf though I couldn't find anything about it on google.

The max rpm data recorded in the paper was 13,000. The Siligraf liner was used in the F1 Ferrari from 1975-1977. I’d be happy to email you the pdf. I think you’d find it very interesting and it explains more in depth. It has hardness tests, road tests, and block and ring wear tests. The pictures may be hard to see since they've been scanned but the information is still useful. I am weary about posting the paper directly to the forum please understand.

Please note: Our material is a stronger variant! Whereas they use a percentage of straight silicon we use silicon-carbide. The technology was derived from the same individual, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee distinguished Professor Pradeep Rohatgi. I had the pleasure of studying materials science, solidification, and composites directly under him.

Our Plans:
Within the upcoming months Intelligent Composites will be purchasing an engine dynamometer, a two stroke snowmobile, and a 4 stroke powersport vehicle. We are going to run baseline engine tests, install our mmc liner, and run the dyno again. We will loosely base our tests after the tests done in the aforementioned paper.

Questions for you:
What are the standard parameters for longevity test, are there any ASTM of SAE standards you are referring to specifically?

What kind of equipment are you riding? What type of 4 stroke engine are you referring to that hits 15,000 rpms?

What vehicles would see the most benefit from a longer lasting liner? Or what vehicles would you want to see test results on?

Who in the moto cross racing/enthusiast community is replacing liners the most? I know NHRA drag racers go through liners after every drag.

Thanks again,

Simon

Top Bottom