bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Guys,

Over the weekend I decided to perform some inexpensive mods to my bone stock '00 200. I purchased a set of '98 XR 400 springs (.38 kg, I believe) and I wanted to install them in the bike, along with a 12T countershaft sprocket.

I installed the springs, and flushed/replaced the fork oil. I set the fork oil level at 100mm per Fredette's recommendation on the JustKDX site. I also cut the stock metal spacers down, as opposed to using PVC tubing. I filed down the edges of the cut piping, and used a small grinding stone to smooth the interior. Hopefully the metal won't wear and leave "splinters" like I've seen with PVC. I used pipe cutters to cut 2 21 mm sections out of the pipe. This is probably long, but it's easier to cut down a spacer again than to add to it. ;)

I also removed the airbox lid while I was messing around, and installed the 12T front sprocket. My chain is toast anyway, so I figure if I like the mod I'll go back to a 13T front, and larger rear.

WOW! I only rode the bike around the yard (a fair amount of ground here on the lake), and the bike feels great! I didn't appreciate how soft & numb the front end was before! I'm 5'10" & 185 lbs. The front end of the bike feels *much* more planted and secure now. The handling just feels much more...confident, I guess. The bike is also a lot peppier as well, with the removed airbox and smaller sprocket. I'll definitely keep the ratio and go to a 13T front /bigger rear when I replace the chain.

I purchased a '99 YZ 125 last week, and after riding it I was amazed at how light/nimble it is. I've never been on a 125 before, so it was pretty amazing. Very light, handled great, a fair amount of power and physically shorter to boot! I actually started to consider riding the YZ instead of the KDX! Now that I've modded the KDX, though, I'm back to loving it.

If these simple mods ($20 for springs, $18 for sprocket, air box lid = free) improve the bike this much, I can't *wait* for my newly purchased ProCircuit pipe to arrive!  :yeehaw:   

Color me ecstatic... :thumb:

Brandon

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Nevada Sixx,

The springs I bought were used, stock items from a '98 XR 400 (~.38 kg/mm).  I just hit the XR groups on yahoogroups.com and posted a couple requests for used, stock springs.  Lots of guys wanted to sell me theirs for $40-$50, but I told them I could buy new from Freddette for that.  Several guys were cool with $20 + shipping (~$8), so I just bought from one of them.

I'm going to go back and search for a set of '00-current springs (~.40 kg/mm) as well.  For $20 it's worth having another set to try.  I think I'll be happy with the .38's, though. 

This is a great way to upgrade the suspension of the KDX for cheap.  Many thanks to CanynCarver for giving me this idea.  Works great.  :thumb: 

Brandon

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Toalco-

I just joined all the XR groups and asked for used springs.  I seem to recall getting the best response from the group with the most members...makes sense.

fast 200-

Yeah, they may be $59 at Service Honda, but they're only $20 used.  And I can live without the Honda box for $40 difference.  :)

Brandon

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
If you get your .40 springs I would be interested in those .38 springs. Just send me a pm if you decide to sell em'.

Thanks
Tom

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom