Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
I was told that on 2-stroke bikes that your gas mileage won't be so good, maybe 20 MPG or so (depends on driving condition, I know). Today, I went for a loooonggg ride with my '97 YZ 125 (150 miles total) and I got 85 miles off a full tank of gas! I was expecting much much less... Is this normal? Our ride had a lot of mixed riding... straight WOT paths, rocky terrain and hills, mud, etc.

Last edited:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I need to ask, how are you tracking your mileage? That seems WAY out there. I've gotten 85 miles on a tank on the KDX (much larger tank), and that was riding back roads practically idling in 6th gear.

May 10, 2007
well you shouldnt run til you are dry

there is stuff that sits in the bottom of your tank that all drains into the carb/engine and can muck it all up if its bad enough.

pretty much always have a little gas left. cuz you dont want that stuff in the engine

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
flyingfuzzball said:
well you shouldnt run til you are dry

there is stuff that sits in the bottom of your tank that all drains into the carb/engine and can muck it all up if its bad enough.

pretty much always have a little gas left. cuz you dont want that stuff in the engine

There is a filter on the fuel valve to prevent that. You should be more concerned about the lean condition that exists when you run out of fuel.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I think it should be possible. I've gotten better than 20 mpg with a 2 stroke 250 in enduros and hare scrambles, so I wouldn't be surprised if a 125 ridden on easier, faster trails by someone who weighs less than the bike could get 40 mpg or so.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
High Lord Gomer said:
I think it should be possible. I've gotten better than 20 mpg with a 2 stroke 250 in enduros and hare scrambles, so I wouldn't be surprised if a 125 ridden on easier, faster trails by someone who weighs less than the bike could get 40 mpg or so.

Yeah I'm only 5'6" 125-130 lbs.

mideastrider said:
85 miles on a yz125 tank is pretty amazing but if thats what you got thats what you got. Did you do the whole 150 miles in one day?

We rode 150 miles total that day.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I suspect your dads mileage might be off. How long did it take (moving time only) you to ride this 150 miles? 4 hours, 6 hour, 8 hours?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Maybe his speedo is in kilometers?

150 is a lot of miles on a dirt bike in one day, unless it is a dual sport ride.

Lots of two stroke enduro bikes will go 80+ miles when ridden gently, but they usually have 3 gallon tanks.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
I was able to get about 80 miles out of a tank on a 92KDX200, and I get about 70 miles on a tank from my KTM200. never checked the ATK450, so not sure what that gets.

Ryan, what part of Maine do you ride in, I do some riding around Ellsworth when I visit my parents, but I'm not real familiar with the trails and where to go. Probably heading up in about a month and plan on a few days of riding while I'm there.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
J-man said:
My neighbor said i should get 200 miles on one tank for his crf230 and the same on my 150 is this even possible

Sure its possible, if you push the bike for 150 of those miles :rotfl:

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
4 wheeler speedometers aren't known for their accuracy.

If you have a GPS use that to see how accurate the speedometer actually is.

Roughly speaking you got about 64 miles to a gallon (actually 71, but I'm rounding down)

or you used 2 ounces of gas for every 1 mile.
or you used 1 ounce of gas for every 2640 feet.
or you used 1 teaspoon of gas every 440 feet.
or you used 1 milliliter of gas every 90 feet.

1 rear tire rotation will take you about 5 feet.

Or from the another point of view.

Lets say you averaged 30 mph for the day. That means it took 5 hours to travel that 150 miles. Lets say you were super efficient and kept the bike in the final gear. For arguments sake lets say you kept it at 2000RPM's the whole time. This would equate to 600,000 revolutions for the whole day. (Realistically 30mph in 6th gear is around 5000rpms )

This means you used 1 milliliter of gas for every 75 combustions.

Or you used 1 ml of gas every 2.2 seconds.

**1 ml is about how much your average eye dropper holds.**

I know my numbers aren't exact, but they are ballpark. Is there any possible way an engine can be this efficient?

EDIT: I thought you said you went 150 miles on 1 tank, I see now you said 85, so cut everything I said up there in half :)

Last edited:

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
mox69 said:
4 wheeler speedometers aren't known for their accuracy.

If you have a GPS use that to see how accurate the speedometer actually is.

Roughly speaking you got about 64 miles to a gallon (actually 71, but I'm rounding down)

or you used 2 ounces of gas for every 1 mile.
or you used 1 ounce of gas for every 2640 feet.
or you used 1 teaspoon of gas every 440 feet.
or you used 1 milliliter of gas every 90 feet.

1 rear tire rotation will take you about 5 feet.

Or from the another point of view.

Lets say you averaged 30 mph for the day. That means it took 5 hours to travel that 150 miles. Lets say you were super efficient and kept the bike in the final gear. For arguments sake lets say you kept it at 2000RPM's the whole time. This would equate to 600,000 revolutions for the whole day. (Realistically 30mph in 6th gear is around 5000rpms )

This means you used 1 milliliter of gas for every 75 combustions.

Or you used 1 ml of gas every 2.2 seconds.

**1 ml is about how much your average eye dropper holds.**

I know my numbers aren't exact, but they are ballpark. Is there any possible way an engine can be this efficient?

We used his GPS too :laugh: So it's definetely around 80 miles per tank.

Like I said, I did a lot of mixed riding. Everything from Straight aways to rocky hills. So basically, everything from 10 MPH to about 65 MPH :laugh:

Top Bottom