Apr 25, 2001
I PURCHASED A USED 98'WR 400 ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND RODE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS WEEK. WOW, WHAT A BIKE. FOR THE FIRST TIME I CAN SEE WHAT ALL THAT HIPE WAS ABOUT! EXCELLENT ALL AROUND POWER, AND THREADS THE CYCLE TRAIL JUST LIKE A LIGHTER TWO STROKE. HAS ANYONE BEEN SIMILARLY IMPRESSED AND STILL MADE MODIFICATIONS, LIKE AN AFTER MARKET PIPE ETC.

------------------

RWR

Oct 9, 2000
Welcome aboard.I too was impressed the first time I rode my 00 WR.The best part about this bike is the more you ride it the more it grows on you.It just gets more fun with every outing.The mods on my bike are a White bros.E series pipe and the YZ cam timing.

------------------
'00 YAMAHA WR400
'67 TRIUMPH T100
Can't decide which one is the funnest.

Apr 25, 2001
ANY MAJOR DIFFERENCES IN THE 98 AND 00 BIKES, THAT'S WORTH HAVING. I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND A LOT OF INFO ON THE 98 MODEL YEAR.

Originally posted by RWR:
Welcome aboard.I too was impressed the first time I rode my 00 WR.The best part about this bike is the more you ride it the more it grows on you.It just gets more fun with every outing.The mods on my bike are a White bros.E series pipe and the YZ cam timing.

------------------

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Backwoods - Typing in all caps is considered SHOUTING on the internet, plus it's pretty tough to read. Would you mind turning off the CAPS LOCK key before you post.

Thanks

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the life-long attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

RWR

Oct 9, 2000
I don't think the differences are major.

------------------
'00 YAMAHA WR400
'67 TRIUMPH T100
Can't decide which one is the funnest.

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
The 98 has a different hub, meaning you can't use newer wheels with it. Some early 98's had kickstart breaking problems, and some clutch issues. These seem to have been pretty well sorted. The 2000 will have updated forks, a different rear wheel, and some internal engine updates. The 98 is still a fine bike. Be sure to maintain whatever you get.

------------------

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Don't forget to take an extra leg with you to start it with after you wear yourself out trying to restart it after a stall or crash... :p

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

AlynB

~SPONSOR~
Apr 12, 2001
I agree with spanky. I loved my WR until the first HS I rode it in. After getting a good start, I stalled in a ditch and absolutely wore myself out trying to restart it.
I estimate I lost 2 to 3 min. per lap restarting the bike, not to mention the physical exertion.
To get back on the subject, I have a White Bros. e-Series pipe. I have never ridden it with stock exhaust, so I cant compare but I'm sure it gives considerably more power.
The only drawback is it's EXTREMELY loud.
Also, consider replacing the air-box cover for muddy/wet conditions if you have removed it. My bike stalled in a mud hole because the back tire filled the air box with mud and water. I dont know if this is a common prob. but it was extremely aggravating, to say the least.

[This message has been edited by AlynB (edited 04-25-2001).]

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by spanky250
Don't forget to take an extra leg with you to start it with after you wear yourself out trying to restart it after a stall or crash... :p

(SIGH) The myth continues.

Hint: if you're not smart enough to jet the bike and start the bike, then you probably shouldn't RIDE the bike. A little more displacement and a little less compression would make the motor friendlier to start, like the 520 KTM is, but there is nothing inherently wrong with the WR/YZF.

Sorry Spanky, the WR/YZF may be DIFFERENT than a two smoke, but they are not impossible to start as some like to say.

Backwoods, right on with your assessment of the WR. Lots better than the previous generation of 4 strokes, for sure. Still about 25 pounds heavy and at times it makes itself known. Not all the time, but sometimes it will feel like a stone.

I can't wait until the '02 Yammie and Honda are out. These bikes will be a generation beyond the current 400/426. Husky and KTM should follow within 6-8 months with their next bikes, Husky a pretty complete line and KTM the 250.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Spanky,
Whats a die-hard 2smoker doing poking around in the Thumper Forum? Curious, huh? ;)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Nah, I just like to see what it's like on the other side of the tracks...:confused:

Seriously, I never considered a four-stroke until the WR250F came out. Now I am indeed thinking...:eek: watch for the smoke from my ears...

Top Bottom