motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
In memory of Dirtweek...

I'm taking a bit of dirt, putting it in a plastic bag, labeling as appropriate...

...and keeping it forever! Dirtweek RULED!

Also, the big sore on my hand from trying to hang onto the bike will be a great conversation starter at work, but no matter what, they won't REALLY understand...:cool:

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
MM, it was cool watching you race the MX. How many people can say they passed Fredette? Maybe next year you can teach a freestyle class for those of us who are true spodes.:)

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I enjoyed riding with MM. I couldn't hang with you to save my life but I learned a few things from watching you pull way ahead of me.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
motometal made the mistake of camping near us. here are some pre-race quotes from him:

"i'm not a competitive person."
"i'm not really into the racing thing."
"i like woods riding better."
"i don't ride tracks much."

yeah, right.:think

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah you first meet MM and he gives the impression that he's just a laid back normal spode like the rest of us. Then he goes out and pulls a stunt like he did on the track with that famous KDX guy and you see that he was born with "the Motorcycle gene" (as Rich refers to it). MM is a real laid back guy, he's just FAST to boot!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
well now.......motometal doing clickers off of the little table top during that A mx race.....wasnt that special. seriously that A race was the best one to watch. moto gated probably 8th (not an mx'r dont ya know) i watched him the whole race just reel people in. just freaking awesome! real mx talent and doesnt know it. a shy guy too you should see the post race interview on video. he hated that camera. and best of all i got to hear the cookoo sound he makes in the woods when he gets lost. TOO FUNNY! he is the artist formery known as cookooformotopuffs.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
He makes a great tag team MX partner, along with the HS Ironman 346!

We got 2nd behind the BillyWho team

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
My favorite motometal quote was..."urine???"
The guy had more one liners than any human I've ever met. I might nominate you to become an honorary Heartland Spode.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
To clarify:

1. I'm not a competitive person. Racing can be very disappointing, that's why I (usually) don't do it. I have found that competing against yourself (can I clear that jump?, can I climb that hill?) is much less frustrating. In this case, it was fun because I did ok, but would have been more on the frustrating side if some of the faster riders that DIDN'T party all week w/ 4 hours of sleep per night showed up Saturday morning to spank me. Instead, most if not all were part of "the family" so it was all good! The two guys that beat me, would have beat me no matter what, unless I could holeshot, then make my bike 15 feet wide. I suppose the other possibility would be if one of them blew his bike up or something...:o :p :scream: ooops, that almost happened!

2. See #1

3. I like woods riding better around here because the tracks are either very poorly groomed, or dangerous. Once I tried out the track at LTM, I loved it.

4. See #3. I grew up riding woods or cornfields, and I thought tracks were just a bunch of "roundy round", but at age 19 a friend got me to start riding on tracks a bit.

anyway, enough about me.

KXKEN, short term memory fading already, what was your number? I'm sure we rode together...

Slo Mo, I would love to do a class thing if Okie would let me and if I can go next year!

Technique is important, but really discipline is the single most important hurdle. It's just too much fun to be a slacker! For example, I don't think I did a full lap at 100% all week, because I didn't have to, so for the race I had to re-think my entry into corners at the higher race speed, etc.

You WILL improve your lap times if you just pick one area you could use work on, for example elbows out or getting forward in corners, and work on this one thing until it is habit. The older we get, the harder this is because any bad habits have really stuck.

I think tonight I will type up some of the highlights of the trip, maybe post them if it is appropriate. After 1 day at work, parts of "THE EXPERIENCE" are already becoming foggy.

:think

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
#176 on a KX250. We didn't ride together for very long (because you where way to fast) but I intentionally got behind you a few times because I enjoyed watching your riding teqnique.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Ken, I remember now! you were on the track quite a bit. Man, that track was awesome. I think you got way faster as you went!

Top Bottom