KTM520Man

Apr 27, 2001
I am laid up for a little while and thought it would be a good time to change the fork oil in my '01 520SX. After taking the spring out and pouring the oil there out the manual says to dismantle the compression mechanism from the axle clamp and remove the complete cartridge. I unscrewed it completely and can get a small about of play by pushing on the top of the the cartridge but it doesn't come free. This is the first time I have tried this and I don't want to make any expensive mistakes. Can someone tell my how to get the cartridge to come free. Thanks for your help.

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Put side pressure on the cartridge rod as you loosen the compression adjuster nut on the bottom of the fork. It will stop the cartridge from turbning and allow you to loosen the nut all the way. Do this with the fork fully compressed.

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
An impact gun is the ticket (as long as you dont buy a cheap) , it'll back the compression adjuster right out.

Just make sure you apply some grease to the threads of the compression adjuster upon re-assembly, to prevent galling.

Good Luck

Top Bottom