Jim Ferguson

Dec 18, 2000
Jeremy, some questions:
2001 KTM 300 MXC, 5 months old. beginner senior rider, mostly MX tracks. 205 lbs with PDS3 shock spring and 42 fork springs.
1. Found one seal leaking, but fluid coming out where the dust seal meets the outer fork tube.
This is the oil seal leaking and exiting there instead of dust seal/ lower tube interface, right?
2. With the aid of a downloaded WP manual I've disassembled, short of opening the cardridge/
rebound valve. The oil seal seems clean and OK, why do they leak?
3. I read your post regarding impact wrenches, I used one to remove the compression valve,
how do I check to see if I didn't screw anything up in the rebound valve?
4. I feel the forks are a bit harsh, especially on braking and acceleration bumps. It seems they could be plusher. I would like to use Gold Valves so I could have some ability to adjust and disassemble/ clean in the future. If I have a shop revalve the forks, could I then disassemble/clean/ adjust or do you have to send them in the mail every two months?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
seal leak for many reaons-nicked tube/worn bushes/dirt behind seal wiper but also because the manufacturer is looking for minimum seal drag.

Jim Ferguson

Dec 18, 2000
thanks marcus I think my leak was probably dirt, the lower tube seems OK and in five months I had never gotten under the dust seal to clean or lube. I will in the future.
After much deliberation ( KTM updated valves, my dealer had never heard of them, Gold Valves, I have to buy a $200 torque wrench too)
I've decided to use Jeremy's So Cal Suspension dealer to revalve the forks, so they'll be done right.
I'll report back when I get them back.
Jim

Top Bottom