"rippinrol"

aka tippinroll
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 11, 2002
I took off my subframe and started to adjust my rear suspension one day before a ride. I found out that my retaining nut was cracked right were the bolt is (to clamp onto the shock) :| .
One of my employees had the same problem and ended up sending his rear shock out to get it disassembled and fitted with a new nut and ended up paying 175.00 bucks.
I could'nt believe that so I started to try to remove the nut off the shock and I could not do it. So, instead I cut it in half very carefully, figured out what thread it was and machined a new one.

Here it is..
If anyone needs one I could help you out and save you $$.

Attachments

• dscn0420.jpg
    dscn0420.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 188

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You can strech a new one over by putting the bolt in the opposite way and using it to push the collor open.Its a tight fit but plenty have done it.

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Originally posted by marcusgunby
You can strech a new one over by putting the bolt in the opposite way and using it to push the collor open.Its a tight fit but plenty have done it.

I tried that as well after fining the nut broken on my 520. Only problem is I went too far and it cracked the new nut! I ended up doing something similar to ripinrol and drilled / tapped a new 'tensioning' bolt opposite the original. Worked well.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Where'd ya get that idea rip'? :think: Very cool! This has happened to many'a'nut. The tightening spec on the lock bolt is only 7pnds. do not over tighten.

"rippinrol"

aka tippinroll
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 11, 2002
Yeah, I saw that spec. It looked like it was cracked for a while.
I ended up putting a pipe clamp around it that day so I could ride.

Are you gettin ready for Broome's Pro/Am? :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom