JW

Oct 9, 2001
Hey there. I have been reading up on the WR's and was wandering if they are as good as Yamaha says they are. I think the 426 might be a bit to much for me, but the 250f seems like a good bike. I have been looking at the KDXs also, but it looks as though the 250f has more power all around. I was hoping that some of you could let me know what you think of the WRs. I would be riding jeep roads, woods, and some light mx. If anyone has suggestions of other bikes that would be great.:)
Thanks all,
JW:confused:

bailey43

Jun 12, 2001
I dig the WR250f

I've owned my wr250f since May 01. Bought it brand new and love it. However to get the power the motor was designed to produce you need to make a few quick modifications. After I made these Mod's I fell in love!:) I'd recommend it to any rider like yourself that rides a mixture of terrains. It honks like a two stoke only with long gears for the trails. Hats off to Yamaha for that bike. It turns a lot of heads!!

PBraun

Sep 4, 2001
I love my WR250F. I bought it new in May and have had a blast with it. I have made a few modifications to it, but none of them were really necessary (don't tell my wife). The bike is great in stock form, but these mods helped it work better for me.

Mods:
1. removed throtte limiter screw
2. with stock pipe - remove baffle
3. replaced stock bars with Renthal bars
4. replaced stock seat & tank with IMS seat/tank combo - more forward riding position like on YZ but with greater fuel capacity
5. new exhaust pipe - White Bros E-series with head pipe

That's it. Hope this helps you in your decision.

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
I can come up with 3 more mods that I did to my '01 WR250F.

Remove the airbox cover
Snip the grey wire
Change the timing to YZ timing

All are free mods and make a huge difference in performance.

PBraun

Sep 4, 2001
I am currently searching for info on how to perform the grey wire mod & the CAM timing adjustment. Can you point me in the right direction? FYI ... I am searching thumpertalk.com for this info. Thanks.

bailey43

Jun 12, 2001
yup

It looks like some people listed the mods I've done before I had a chance to reply JW. I still haven't changed the Exhaust timing , nor have I snipped the grey wire yet. I found pleanty of power just by:
1 Removing the snorkle from the air box cover
2 Cutting the length of the throttle stop screw
3 Removing the baffle out the end of the exhaust

The motor cranks! I raced an XR 400 last weekend. It could not keep up. Especially in the woops and tight trails. WR250 is a sweet ride for the all arounder or MXer

PBraun

Sep 4, 2001
Grey Wire mod

I made the grey wire mod this morning. I went for a quick ride around the block and the pwer increase was very impressive. It is hard to believe that by clipping one wire, you could get such a noticable increase in power. I am looking foward to my next day in the woods.

FYI .. I found details about performing this mod on

http://www.motorworldracing.com/

Click on "Tech Tips"

Last edited:
Top Bottom