XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I'm in the market for a four stroke trail bike and I've got a few questions about the models out right now. I'm looking for a 250, such as an XR, CRF-X, DRZ, WR, KLX, etc.

So, my question is, how do the engines in the WR250F and the CRF250X compare to engines in XR250's and DRZ250's? I know that they say all you have to do to an XR engine is put oil and gas in it and go, but aren't the engines in WR's and CRFX's basically like the motocross engines, just tuned down?

Basically, I want to know if I get a WR or CRFX, will I have to do all the maintenence you have to do on motocross bikes engine-wise?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XMotoX said:
they say all you have to do to an XR engine is put oil and gas in it and go, but aren't the engines in WR's and CRFX's basically like the motocross engines, just tuned down?

Basically, I want to know if I get a WR or CRFX, will I have to do all the maintenence you have to do on motocross bikes engine-wise?

The WR and CRFX engines are very similar to full on mx bikes but use different materials with their valves and are toned down compared to the mx models. They do not require as much maintainance but, do require more than an XR based engine, If you want a bike that you don't have to maintain as much, buy a XR or a DR. You will give up some performance and handling but this is a decision that only you can make depending on your style of riding.

Keep in mind that all bikes require maintainance. You can't just add gas and oil and go, even with an XR.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

I know that there is more to just changing oil and filling up gas on even XR's, its just people say that those engines are bulletproof maintenence wise. That appeals to me because I am not mechanically inclined to do valve checks, top end rebuilds, etc.

What kind of maintenence would you have to do on a WR that you wouldn't on an XR?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XMotoX said:
What kind of maintenence would you have to do on a WR that you wouldn't on an XR?

The WR would require more frequent valve adjustments and oil changes. The piston and rings would have to be changed more often than on an XR because the WR has a very short piston skirt and runs a much higher rpm than the XR. A lot would depend on your riding style and how hard you ride. Out of all the modern engines, the Yamaha seems to be the most durable. IMO.

I have owned both, XR and WR and I really liked my WR 400. It had excellent suspension and horsepower. It also worked very good on an mx track where the XR is limited on a track by its suspension. The XR is a great trail bike and with regular oil changes and general maintainance will last a very long time. I'm still riding my 1983 XR350 on trail.

Top Bottom