holyschnikes

Jun 5, 2000
:bang: Has anyone converted a WR or CRFX to a street legal bike in Pennsylvania? My Honda dealer stated a CRFX would never pass a motorcycle inspection even with the baja design kit. They stated the kit does not include a neutral light & chain guard needed for inspection. Also they stated the Baja Design kit would blow the electric system. Thanks!!!!!!

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I had no problem (besides time) with getting a modified vehicle title for my XR400, a much different bike, but not in respect to dual-sport conversion. Download a copy of form MV-426B from http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/ and look it over. I don't remember any issues with neutral light and chain guard. Also I doubt if Baja Designs is going to sell a kit that will blow the electrics. Sounds like they don't want to deal with it. Who's the dealer?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I got my KTM through inspection in NJ. That's the first I've heard of the neutral light requirement, but they did have issues with the lack of chain guard (after which, I made my own). Interestingly, they didn't even care that the tires are full knobbies ( they are DOT approved Kendas, but they didn't even ask).

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Yes

The CRF stator cannot handle the Baja kit. Some say you can rewind the stock stator and rewire (add) the voltage regulator. The CRF250 system is 35watts AC for the lights and a few watts DC to charge the battery, dual wound stator.

I did my own lighting kit with leds that save juice. My inspection guy did not check for the nuetral lamp or upper chain guard.

goodluck
mike

holyschnikes

Jun 5, 2000
WR or CRFX Pa street legal

Thanks to all for the information. The unenthused Honda dealer was Honda House on Rt. 51 in Pittsburgh. Unlike, Bohn Yamaha (RT. 51 Pittsburgh) which we received plenty (45 minutes) of helpful information about adapting a WR into a street legal bike. I guess we will be buying WR's.

Top Bottom