tuckers20

Mod Ban
Dec 2, 2005
Hey guys i recently purchased a 1997 yamaha wr250. I live in australia and i think that the wr's over here are different to your wr-z in america. From what i have heard ours are just a yz250 with lights. My friend told me that wr stands for 'wide ratio'. Does this mean the gearing is wider than a yz and does it apply to my bike.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
tuckers20 said:
i read the dicussion about the 1998 wr but is it the case in australia.

Yes, the WR moniker is for 'wide-ratio', as in wider transmission ratios. The spacing of the gaps between the gear ratios is wider on the WR than the YZ, and 5 th gear is higher as a result. This gives a bike that is better set up for off -road, where a wider transmission spread is better, to allow for faster travel, without being pinned in 5th and screaming, but still going slower than you'd like.

Is yours the one based off the 94 YZ with the big honking bulbous fuel tank, or the sleeker one based off the 97 YZ?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I believe our Aussie brother is lucky to have one based off the 97 YZ250, since they kept getting the WR's (in two-stroke trim) for a while after we did.

I believe Yamaha started making the WR's back in 89, but they were a YZ250WR, then just WR250 later on down the road. They even had a WR200 with an electric powervalve in 92, I think

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
XRpredator said:
I believe our Aussie brother is lucky to have one based off the 97 YZ250, since they kept getting the WR's (in two-stroke trim) for a while after we did.

I believe Yamaha started making the WR's back in 89, but they were a YZ250WR, then just WR250 later on down the road. They even had a WR200 with an electric powervalve in 92, I think

That's correct based on what I know of the WR's, at least in North America.

Top Bottom