Buell

Dec 1, 1999
We just sold my wife's KDX 200 and we're looking for a new bike for her. I had a YZ400F that she rode and liked (she's not timid!)....except for one thing...kick start effort. ( if they only had an E button! ) She could do the "drill" but she had trouble with the force needed to give the 400 a good spin. She likes the WR250F and it's a good match for her riding ( Desert trails and fire road runs ). She's 5'8" and the stand over height on the WR is right at the top of the range for her. We haven't had a chance to ride one but there's one at the shop waiting for a good home :-)

How much easier ( effort wise ) is the WR250F to kick over compared to the YZ400F? vs. an XR400? Also does the IMS seat/tank combo lower the seat height any?

TIA

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Buell, I asked a friend who is an awesome rider, both mx and woods, what she thought of her WR 250F. Here is her comment:

"This bike in its stock form is pretty mellow, but it is not an XR and it is not without a race temperment. What I mean by that - if this lady is a beginner that ONLY rides log roads and
desert, then she will like the bike - but tight single track and it's heavy and high. On paper, it is lighter than the XR-250, BUT, on the ground all bets are off because of the height of the WR - it is very tall. I am 5'6 and a half, and even with 4.25" sag, I cannot touch (just on my tip-toes). The IMS tank/SDG seat combo did not lower the bike and there isn't a lot of foam to shave - so you are stuck. I have found it easy to start BUT ONLY if you follow the YZ/WR rules to the letter. YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE ROUTINE or it will refuse to
start. With the compression release, it is very easy to kick over. You can give them my address if they want to ask any more questions. I pretty much know how to dial this bike in, so it's all good. I am still an XR fan for woods riding - although I would not give up my WR - but I do think it is for an experienced rider."

Mikki is a Debbie Matthews instructor and teaches motocross and trail schools for men and women. If you have more questions for her contact her through her website www.mikmoto.com

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
My wife's not really a beginner...not a racer....but not a beginner. We live on the edge of 3 million acres of BLM land and riding is a regular event. Most of us "guy's" run pretty big iron. The guys we ride with have 426's so she hasn't had a chance to try the WR250F. I'm between desert bikes myself, I sold my CR500 to help pay for my lads new bike...anyway she's ridden my CR500, YZ400f, CR250...ect. This bike is for HER first ( I'll play with it on the side ), so I thought the WR250F would be better for her....Frankly we talked about a 520exc but you can't find one out west. She started the 400, the drill isn't an issue...pushing 400cc at 12.5:1 was, she did it but just barely, generally I'd just start it for her...I'm trying to get a feel for the effort required, I don't want her blowing a knee out kicking it;) For some reason the girls around here like big bikes/race bikes, her "gal pal" that she rides with runs an XR650R...she's only 5'3" and has to use the stand but she starts it!:confused:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Is she set on a four-stroke? A KTM like mine isn't as big a step to take from the KDX she's used to as it was for me--I rode an XR 200 for a year before I picked up my KTM. The 200 or the 250 EXC is a great bike. Starts right up and is lighter than any thumper, and makes tremendous power that's extremely usable. The 250 has a lot more bottom end. It's a lot more aggressive bike than the KDX was but in no way uncontrollable. Heck, if I haven't killed myself on it yet, she'd probably be fine! I'm 5'7" and the height is perfect. I look a little awkward coming in for a landing sometimes, if I put my foot down to stop and find a rut or low spot I'll topple. Oh well, I've never been graceful. But I cannot say enough good things about this bike. It is user friendly but race capable at the same time and the tall gearing (I pulled away from a YZ 250 in a drag race) and 3 gallon tank would make it fun in the desert.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Have you considered a KLX300? Two of my friends ride them & love them - one desert/trails/Baja, one strictly trails.

A little lower seat height than the others & from what I remember not a lot of effort to kick over.

Brian

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yes, but a KLX might seem heavy and unresponsive after a KDX. Ask bbbom--she had a KLX for a while. I don't hear nearly as many horror stories about starting XR400s--and there are a lot of aftermarket stuff out there to lighten it up and make it faster. Personally, I don't mind kicking to a certain extent. The ease of a magic button wouldn't justify the weight to me but I hate going through all the BS to start the Yamahas. But I'm a total 2-stroke convert. While it is a whole new way of riding that I don't do well yet, I really like the power and don't find it nearly as uncontrollable as everyone told me it was. I even enjoy Steve's 125 in the woods although my bike is a little less work than a 125 would be. However, he may have succeeded in talking me into one had we met earlier--I met him just a week after I ordered my KTM. His 2001 RM is a total blast to ride and since I'm learning new skills anyway, it wouldn't be that much worse than my 200 is. But I'm happy with my bike and would recommend it to anyone. I think 2-strokes are worth the hassle of premix and higher maintenance (although mine's not bad at all). Just my 2 cents!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
We are merely discussing OPINIONS and OPTIONS. I offered mine as you have offered yours. He had a question about WRs, thus he posted in the thumper forum. There is no rule about never mentioning two-strokes in here. Discussions can cross the lines of forum topics and often have. Calm down, miss moderator. :p

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Kevlar for sale.............

goodness.........shots being fired in the thumper forum..... :(
Hey folks let me do the fighting, I get paid for it (your tax dollars) ;)

Firecracker, I hope I get a chance to meet and maybe watch you ride someday, I am moving to the Fort Lewis area in about a month!!!!

OH well, I have Friday off, and now a grey wire to pull off the WR-250.....
Weather.......sunny, 82, and a 15 MPH breeze off the ocean.....life is rough.........
for whatever that is worth.......
be good, be safe.....
HR
:cool:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hawaii, watching me ride isn't real spectacular, trust me. But when you do move over let me know and we'll go ride. There are still a lot of places I haven't been. Hawk's Prairie, however, is very close to Fort Lewis and (though small) a good place to waste an afternoon. How soon? Ward Creek is having an open playday on 6/23 I might make it to. Ward Creek is one of the most popular places around here.

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Firecracker......Soon??????

Son, Fur Kids (two Irish Setters) and I fly on the 20th of July, then looking for a house to buy........
Would love to learn all the places to ride, have ridden Cle Elum (spelling?),Spokane ORV and thurston country ORV a few times (I am a Coug, WSU type, a "few" years ago, (dont go there!)) so I kind of know the state, but not the riding areas............so thanks for the offer!!!

oh boy the fun of moving................ :eek:

HR

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
FC22 & Buell - the KLX can be a little hard to start stock from what I understand. But a hot start button makes a world of difference - check Strokerracing (Roesler's shop) for more info.

The couple of folks I know that ride KLX 300's love them for their light weight (relative to other 4strokes), lower seat height & nimble handling. The KLX is a generation ahead of the XRs. The suspension can be reworked on either of them but KLX offers the perimeter frame & USD forks - both are an advantage in the desert IMO.

Any how - lots of choices. Wish I was in her shoes:)

Brian

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
Man I leave for a day and there's shots fired:confused: Funny, that's what I spent all day doing;) Good thing I've got a vest on!
( One of my jobs, LE firearms instructor)

Yup, lots of options, lots of good input here,keep it comming!:) The KTM 400 sounds like a great bike. The lower seat height on the KTM's is a plus, the "E" button is a BIG plus, the additional $$$ is not....but it is something to consider...The KLX is a little dated..a little heavy, that put it out of the running early compared to the WR250F.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
Have you considered a KLX300?
A little lower seat height than the others & from what I remember not a lot of effort to kick over.

Brian

I had a '99 KLX300, then I got the '00 TTR225 & now I have an '01 KTM M/XC 400. The KTM is the best bike by far. I feel like I am getting the best of both worlds--4-stroke & 2-stroke. It has the hit of a 2-stroke yet the pull of a 4-stroke for the hills. The bike is totally awesome & it does have the e-button. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions at Race2Dez@aol.com

Darla

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
Choices Unlimited

Yup, lots of options, lots of good input here,keep it comming! The KTM 400 sounds like a great bike. The lower seat height on the KTM's is a plus, the "E" button is a BIG plus, the additional $$$ is not....but it is something to consider...The KLX is a little dated..a little heavy, that put it out of the running early compared to the WR250F----------

Your wife rode the big bore Yamaha then she can certainly handle the WR250F, pull the grey wire off and let it rip. My 2001 KX250 stays parked
since I bought the WR and will soon be sold. This bike starts easy and revs
so high you don't do a lot of gear shifting. You would have to be a complete clod to stall this bike or have a bad day to drop it as it handles so well. Another good point is if you don't like it someone would buy it immediately,
I have yet to see a used one for sale. You are wise not to buy dated
technology unless it suits you stock, it is just too expensive to update and
it will never be what the latest models are.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I agree. I'm a guy but a bit short at 5'8" and the 250Fs are just a little too tall, nor are they worth it when you consider how good the KTM 400 is. Besides, as Kali pointed out the math does work out on the KTM 400 E/XC -- it's my next bike unless Honda really does something in the enduro bike area based on the CR450f. So if you got the bucks get the KTM.

Otherwise consider the KLX300. I'm not necessarily saying to go out and buy a new one. I've got a '98 KLX300 that I picked up used on a great deal. You don't hear much in the press about it now but 5 years ago they were raving about them like they are the 250Fs now. I love mine and the main mod to wake them up is a pumper carb from Stroker or White Brothers ($350). Check out the thread Klx!:cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Heck, they all seem short to me!:p

If you're not worried about being able to handle the power, and a KTM400EXC is easy enough to touch on, why not go for the 520? :eek:

Actually, I think you should go with the WR, learn the drill, and ride on! Dealer support (especially up here--Kalifornia's a little different) is a lot better for Yamahas as opposed to KTM (or even Husaberg, for that matter).

A guy may want to hold out for a while to see if KTM springs that RFS 250 anytime soon . . . :think

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Predator.........:(

you are right, I dont understand the tall issue......heck I am only 6'3" and no problem........;)
go figure..........
but dude.......In-Laws........
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:eek:
I will do something in your memory, just let me know what it is.........roost a mini-bike....?
poor guy.........
:(
HR
(wearing black arm-band for Predator)

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Buell; Whatcha wanna sell the KDX for anyway?

Low seat height, good power, good brakes and suspension, cheep! And so easy to start!

Course, we don't have any desert in Louisiana.

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Louisiana............no desert.......

But. . . . . .
Great food.........
Incredibly friendly folks..........
highest heat in the nation linked to the most extreme humidity........especially in August and September.......
hooooooo yaaaaa!
Been there........done that.........
Love New Orleans during Jazz Fest.........
HR

Top Bottom