WR250F, No smile for me.

weimedog

Damn Yankees
Looks like you got caught with a bike for a different application. The Yamaha was really meant to compete with the 125 two strokes. With a much wider powerband, the yamaha feels like a much more forgiving 125. But its power is still way up in the RPM's, just the way those 125 guys are used to it, So if you come from a 125 world...its awsome.

Those KDX kawasaki's Have there power lower in the RPM range. Its a very refined motorcycle with seveal generations of development. If you really want to go four stroke, you really need something in the 400 range to make you happy. Maybe that 300 Kawi might, but I think something along the lines of a KTM400 E/XC would be an improvement in your mind over the KDX.

I sold a husqvarna WR360 and bought a VOR503. Believe it or not, my husky was very abrupt off the bottom realtive to the VOR. The VOR is mellow off idle and just makes more power as the RPM's climb until upper midrange it starts really hauling. It make more power overall than my old two stroke, but the power is MUCH easier to use. I think you would find that to be the case with a KDX to 400cc class fourstroke.

With the demand so high for your Yamaha, I bet you could sell it or trade it and find a bike more suited.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

Sorry, Weimedog, but I've got to disagree with your comment that "if you really want to go 4 stoke, you really need something in the 400 range to make you happy." After riding a WR400 for three years, I think the WR250F may be the ultimate woods bike. The 400 had more power than I could ever use in most enduros, except in the wide-open stuff. Handling through the tight trees always wore me out. The 250F has PLENTY of low end to satisfy most riders, and is a hoot when you get more up in the RPMs. This is on a bone stock bike, too, which is probably how mine will stay, with the exception of a pipe. Handling compared to the 400 is not even a comparison. Not to take anything away from the big bores, I still love the power of my 400, but the WR250 seems to have all the useable power a mere mortal needs in the woods.

I let a guy who rides a KX250 in HS ride my bike, he has also tested a WRF.

I also let a guy who races an XR400 ride my YZF and he rode a WRF the same day.

I also let a guy on a KDX200 ride my bike and he rode the WRF the same day.

The guy from the KX didn't like the WR but loved the YZF.

The guy on the XR400 loved both bikes but prefered the YZF.

The guy on the KDX200 loved both bikes.

I also let a guy who races 125MX and HS. He much preferred the WR for woods and the YZF for MX. He said they both had more lowend then he expected.

The guy on the XR400 was the only one who wanted more lowend but he also had an HRC kit on the XR400.

You have to ride one yourself and make up your mind. Your love or hate for the bike is going to be directly influenced by what you rode before.

I like that it has less power then my 250 2-smoke. I feel the YZF has more power then I can use but it will be easier to grow into.

weimedog

Damn Yankees
...thats why there are so many bike on the market. Different strokes for different strokes.

Ride it, if you like it, BUY it. If not, there are more choices now on the marketplace than ever before. I learned years ago that just because there is a fad out there, doesn't mean I'm going to like it. I'll take the input from the magazines and blend it with experience and riding then choose. Sometimes I agree, sometimes not.

This fellow may learn to like his new Yamaha, but it won't be because of peer pressure. He may also decide its time to do something else. None of us here can make him like what ever he chooses through postings about what everyone else likes. My measage is simply its ok to dissagree with the mainstream sometimes. And what you like and dislike in a motorcycle is unique to the individual.

My other message is simply since there are so many who agree with the mainstream right now, if he is going to change, now is the time to do it. While these new Yamaha's are a fad and dealers are pulling $6000 to $6500 out of those with less patience. Maybe someone here can help take it off his hands if he chooses not to like it. Use these postings as a reference sell.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

[This message has been edited by weimedog (edited 02-20-2001).]

Bentbarz, Try some basic things and forget about the different sound, wieght and power delivery. Make sure your bike is taotaly set up for you and your ability. All controls, bars, suspension, tires, gearing, ect. Tell your friend to stay home and go ride by your self. Make your self a track with variety of all of your racing encounters. Start out slow and forget you have a rear brake. Use your motor compresion to scrub off speed when needed and concentrate on maintaning smooth continuos momentum(leave your clutch and rear brake alone!!) as you become comfortable and establish rythym you will find your smile. You will gradualy feel faster. To master momentum is to master the four stroke. Then start pushing your self to stay on the gas longer and back in it
sooner. You wont be as tired at then end of a HS with this type of riding style.You must be awful pumped trying to ride it like your KDX. If your still chasing your buddy your still riding like a 2 smoker. After you master momentum and the advantage of a high compresion motor Invite your buddy for another ride,and take him to school. Even if hes ahead of you for a while whipping his kdx around he will eventualy fade. You should be able to maitain a high speed momentum much longer. Clutching, Braking, Sliding, all take alot of energy and are all momentum killers. Try it!! you'll be smiling soon!!

[This message has been edited by DADCRASHED (edited 02-20-2001).]

Wolf

doooode
That is some great advice from dadcrashed. I went through the same thing when I switched from a cr250 to my XR. I now love it, but I went through some humiliating rides with my friends.

Rodzilla

Lifetime Sponsor
Tex KDX you sure about your HP figures on the XR600? Last I saw the YZ250f was around 30 HP give or take.

My buddies XR400 is around 30 HP at 5,280 ft in altitude. (Performance Cycle dyno)

What does an uncorked XR600 pump out?

Can't believe even with Ti valves etc... your going to make up for 350cc displacement.

If I'm off base or just plain wrong I'm sorry.

------------------
I'll ride until I can't kickstart my bike, then I'll buy a bike with the happy button!

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member

Here it is Rodzilla,

I have an old Honda service manual for an XR600 that I used to own.

Page 1-3 under Engine Specification:
Maximum horsepower - 45BHP/6,500rpm
Maximum torque - 5.3kg-m, (39.8 ft-lb)/5,500rpm

I read in the new Dirtbike magazine a max figure of 31.4HP for the YZ250F. I don't know what kind of torque the new 250cc yamaha 4-strokes put out,, that would be interesting.. I would have to imagine it would be considerably less than the legendary "super torque machine" XR600 though.

Bob
1999 YZ400F

I don't know the numbers, but my little Bro's YZ250F smokes my Dad's XR600 in a drag race. Dead stop or roll on...no contest.
Also, the little YZF hangs remarkably close to my other Brother's 99' YZF420. There is however about a 60lb. difference in rider weight favoring the 250.

Thump on!

Well, that is indeed impressive.

I look forward to the opportunity to toss a leg over a YZ/WR250F sometime and see for myself.

Later,
Bob

I believe we are comparing apples to oranges here. I believe that most, if not all, manufacturers post horsepower figures that are acquired from the countershaft sprocket, not the rear wheel. The MSO from Yamaha on a 2001 YZ250F states 41 SAE horsepower. The Dirtbike figure was obtained from a dyno at the rear wheel. My guess would be that the
"Page 1-3 under Engine Specification:
Maximum horsepower - 45BHP/6,500rpm" Honda figures are also at the countershaft sprocket. If someone has some insight please pipe in.
Coop

------------------
2001 WR250F

Well, my brother just put money down on a wr250f and from all i've read it seems like this was a wise choice. We had been looking at drz's but they just didnt seem as well put together as the yammies. Now to find out how many ponies they are pulling is icing on the cake. The mags say starting is almost 125 easy but some of you guys make that out to be incorrect! I amsure I could get the bike litw/o a compresiion release but will I have difficulty teaching a new rider?

Rodzilla

Lifetime Sponsor
Oh I totally agree, we are comparing apples to oranges here.

The Lil' mega thumpers should not be even remotely compared to the XR's. I was just looking through this post and noticed Tex's comment about the WR making a "couple of horse power shy of an uncorked XR600"

I just could not fathom that an XR600 makes the same HP as an XR400 which I know is around 30 ponies-about where the 250f's are.

My riding buddy just got a YZ250f, man I want one! Going from my XR4 to a YZ400 I was just plain intimidated. Jumping on the YZ250 took about 5 minutes and I was comfortable!

My only complaint was it felt like it needed about 5 more gears! bam! bam! bam! and your in 5th (of course I don't have much experience with MX bikes)

------------------
I'll ride until I can't kickstart my bike, then I'll buy a bike with the happy button!

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
I can't get over so many people saying this bike has no low end. Have all of you ridden/raced a 125, 2-stroke? None of them have much low end. Even the KTM doesn't have gobs.

I ride a KTM 300, which by 2-stroke standards has a tremendous amount of low end. I had no problems on the bottom with the YZ250F. I purposely tried to lug it down, and never even stalled the bike (thank goodness, because I couldn't start it to ride it the first time). The 250F has more bottom than any 125 I have ever ridden.

Another comparison: YZ 250F vs. XR250R. The XR 250 is the easiest bike to ride ever (for me). It has just enough power (23hp-stock) to run it wide open through many situations. It may have more 'grunt', but I'll take the yz250F in a hillclimb anyday (and in every other type of terrain).

NVR say never - If the KTM 250rfs is not a de-bored, de-stroked, 400. And, if it resembles the yz250f in performance and weight, I will own one! I Love the color orange (note to self: then why did I just change my KTM to all black?).

B. McDermott: The yz250f is very hard to start! And I don't care if I get a lot of greif from some of the folks posting above. I mean it! That bike was a bear to start for everyone who tried, even the owner.
------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

[This message has been edited by Strick (edited 02-22-2001).]