WR250F, No smile for me.

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
SUnruh:

That 'ole XR350 was right on your tail, even in the corner! Didn't anyone protest that your bike was running, in a dead engine start? (just kidding!) What's your secret?

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Now just for the record I rode the same bike Strick did I I did not have any problem starting it. Always started first kick for me. I even remembering having to get it started for some fellar wearing some baggy Shift gear........ I have one thing to say... That YZ250F hauls...I know what the AMA rule says but I can tell you it does not belong in the 125 Class........ I was totally impressed... What really impressed me is how well it hauld my 290 lb rear around...... I a big guy but not to slow either and I would not think twice about racing that bike... It rips. It is no 125.... I would be more willing to ride that bike in any setting or event than any bike off the XR line.....You can say what ever you want about how much torque the XR's have but in less you are a true beginner I have to believe you will be faster on the 250F any where.... Im convinced now if it were only orange.....

------------------
More to follow im sure.....

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
380excman: The bike had been kicked so many times by the time you got there it was a normal operating temperature. I want to know Sunruh's starting secret.

------------------

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
I haven't ridden the WR yet but I have ridden the YZ and spoke with quite a few people and the ergos seem to be the biggest complaint about the Yamahas. Yamaha apparently believes the average rider has a 38" inseam and short arms. A lot of average to bigger guys I know hate the Yamaha rider compartment.

As a thumper rider myself, I LOVED the power and came back from a 5-minute zip down the trail on the YZ-F with an ear-to-ear grin that lasted all day. I am making the opposite transition--going from a thumper to a 2-stroke (XR200 to KDX200) but I think I'll get used to it quickly. I LIKE that 2-stroke power hit and the Yamaha thumpers are the closest to providing the same feeling. Too bad I can't afford one yet.

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

Rodzilla

Lifetime Sponsor
Hmmm, don't know what to say guys, I rode my buddies YZ and had little if any trouble starting it. O.K. I've been starting both an XR500 and XR400 for the last few years so maybe it comes naturally?

Just past TDC and one kick...

------------------
I'll ride until I can't kickstart my bike, then I'll buy a bike with the happy button!

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member

Strick,
VP C12 race gas, stock pilot jet, stock needle and clip, main is now a 180, fuel screw at 1.6 turns out from seated, air temp in the low 40's. warm engine almost to the point of puking coolant. put it in 1st and kill it with the clutch in. kick it to TDC, decomp it to slightly past and be ready. one good kick with NO throttle and she goes everytime. the xr rider still has a boot on the ground, he is NOT going anywhere, gimme a break.

now the really funny part is T18 the '01KTM520MXC that has electric start. it is still sitting there on the line and i'm GONE!!!

the BMR rules.
(that is Blue Midget Racer)

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
SUnruh, I am in no way sold on e-starts. I had a 400exc beside me at the line in a Hare & Hound (dead engine) on the 18th, and went past him right out of the hole. I can't believe it can be too hard to push a button and release the clutch!

Just kidding about the XR350. I have a friend who had one, so I recognized what it was. Good LucK this season, and thanks for the starting drill.

------------------

Originally posted by SUnruh:
here is a pic (from 2/18) of my piglet smoking the bigbores off the line. do realize this is a DEAD ENGINE start!!!

Fonseca had some trouble with those during some supercross's

NVR FNSH

Subscriber
I gotta jump in here regarding Strick's 'difficulty' starting Lil Thumpers 250F. I ride a '99 WR400 that starts 1st or 2nd kick EVERY time. I'm sitting there watching Strick kick that blasted 250F over at least 2 dozen times, thinking 'give me a shot - I'll get it 1st kick, I know the drill' (I'm 250 lbs so 12.5:1 compression is NOT a problem). I kicked that darn bike a half dozen times w/o so much of attempt to ignite. I gave up..... I didn't want to ride it that bad
EXC380man started it up shortly after I gave up....

Lil Thumper claims it starts 1st kick but I don't believe him... Maybe it does in Idaho

Brian

SirThumper

Lifetime Sponsor
LoL, he swears to this day that GSR set him up by grabbing a hand full of throttle before attempting to start it.

To be honest, I have started it just about as much as he has and it starts 1st or 2nd kick everytime.

------------------
SirT

little_thumper

Lifetime Sponsor
I am telling you that is the only time I have had a problem. Honestly as long as you dont touch the throttle it starts.Did you see me have another problem starting it the rest of the weekend?When I started it for Kali and GSR first kick. I must have started it 20 other times that day on the first or 2nd kick the only time anyone paid attention was the one time out of 100 it did not start.
There is no starting problem once you figure it out.....

I have a YZ250F and have not had a problem starting it yet, however my friend has a WR that he is ready to kick to the curb-EXTREMELY hard to start.My jetting is stock -his is stock with airbox lid removed

Here's what works for me getting my WR lit. Cold-choke on, five blips of throttle, just past t.d.c., three kicks and it usually fires. If after three kicks it doesnt, give er' some throttle while kicking.
Warm-no hot start, no t.d.c. searching, open throttle wide halfway through kick and usually fires first kick.
Only crashed once (spinout) but managed to keep it running. If it had died and flooded, I think the hot-start may have been necessary.
Also, when it's warmed up I really have no need to use the decompessor, just start kicking.
Almost too easy.

Thump on!