sodhead

Feb 13, 2001
Well, that is indeed impressive.

I look forward to the opportunity to toss a leg over a YZ/WR250F sometime and see for myself.

Later,
Bob

BCooper

Aug 9, 2000
I believe we are comparing apples to oranges here. I believe that most, if not all, manufacturers post horsepower figures that are acquired from the countershaft sprocket, not the rear wheel. The MSO from Yamaha on a 2001 YZ250F states 41 SAE horsepower. The Dirtbike figure was obtained from a dyno at the rear wheel. My guess would be that the
"Page 1-3 under Engine Specification:
Maximum horsepower - 45BHP/6,500rpm" Honda figures are also at the countershaft sprocket. If someone has some insight please pipe in.
Coop

------------------
2001 WR250F

Feb 20, 2001
Well, my brother just put money down on a wr250f and from all i've read it seems like this was a wise choice. We had been looking at drz's but they just didnt seem as well put together as the yammies. Now to find out how many ponies they are pulling is icing on the cake. The mags say starting is almost 125 easy but some of you guys make that out to be incorrect! I amsure I could get the bike litw/o a compresiion release but will I have difficulty teaching a new rider?

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Oh I totally agree, we are comparing apples to oranges here.

The Lil' mega thumpers should not be even remotely compared to the XR's. I was just looking through this post and noticed Tex's comment about the WR making a "couple of horse power shy of an uncorked XR600"

I just could not fathom that an XR600 makes the same HP as an XR400 which I know is around 30 ponies-about where the 250f's are.

My riding buddy just got a YZ250f, man I want one! Going from my XR4 to a YZ400 I was just plain intimidated. Jumping on the YZ250 took about 5 minutes and I was comfortable!

My only complaint was it felt like it needed about 5 more gears! bam! bam! bam! and your in 5th (of course I don't have much experience with MX bikes)

------------------
I'll ride until I can't kickstart my bike, then I'll buy a bike with the happy button!

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I can't get over so many people saying this bike has no low end. Have all of you ridden/raced a 125, 2-stroke? None of them have much low end. Even the KTM doesn't have gobs.

I ride a KTM 300, which by 2-stroke standards has a tremendous amount of low end. I had no problems on the bottom with the YZ250F. I purposely tried to lug it down, and never even stalled the bike (thank goodness, because I couldn't start it to ride it the first time). The 250F has more bottom than any 125 I have ever ridden.

Another comparison: YZ 250F vs. XR250R. The XR 250 is the easiest bike to ride ever (for me). It has just enough power (23hp-stock) to run it wide open through many situations. It may have more 'grunt', but I'll take the yz250F in a hillclimb anyday (and in every other type of terrain).

NVR say never - If the KTM 250rfs is not a de-bored, de-stroked, 400. And, if it resembles the yz250f in performance and weight, I will own one! I Love the color orange (note to self: then why did I just change my KTM to all black?).

B. McDermott: The yz250f is very hard to start! And I don't care if I get a lot of greif from some of the folks posting above. I mean it! That bike was a bear to start for everyone who tried, even the owner.
------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

[This message has been edited by Strick (edited 02-22-2001).]

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
SUnruh:

That 'ole XR350 was right on your tail, even in the corner! Didn't anyone protest that your bike was running, in a dead engine start? (just kidding!) What's your secret?

------------------

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Now just for the record I rode the same bike Strick did I I did not have any problem starting it. Always started first kick for me. I even remembering having to get it started for some fellar wearing some baggy Shift gear........ I have one thing to say... That YZ250F hauls...I know what the AMA rule says but I can tell you it does not belong in the 125 Class........ I was totally impressed... What really impressed me is how well it hauld my 290 lb rear around...... I a big guy but not to slow either and I would not think twice about racing that bike... It rips. It is no 125.... I would be more willing to ride that bike in any setting or event than any bike off the XR line.....You can say what ever you want about how much torque the XR's have but in less you are a true beginner I have to believe you will be faster on the 250F any where.... Im convinced now if it were only orange.....

------------------
More to follow im sure.....

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
380excman: The bike had been kicked so many times by the time you got there it was a normal operating temperature. I want to know Sunruh's starting secret.

------------------

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I haven't ridden the WR yet but I have ridden the YZ and spoke with quite a few people and the ergos seem to be the biggest complaint about the Yamahas. Yamaha apparently believes the average rider has a 38" inseam and short arms. A lot of average to bigger guys I know hate the Yamaha rider compartment.

As a thumper rider myself, I LOVED the power and came back from a 5-minute zip down the trail on the YZ-F with an ear-to-ear grin that lasted all day. I am making the opposite transition--going from a thumper to a 2-stroke (XR200 to KDX200) but I think I'll get used to it quickly. I LIKE that 2-stroke power hit and the Yamaha thumpers are the closest to providing the same feeling. Too bad I can't afford one yet.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hmmm, don't know what to say guys, I rode my buddies YZ and had little if any trouble starting it. O.K. I've been starting both an XR500 and XR400 for the last few years so maybe it comes naturally?

Just past TDC and one kick...

------------------
I'll ride until I can't kickstart my bike, then I'll buy a bike with the happy button!

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
Strick,
VP C12 race gas, stock pilot jet, stock needle and clip, main is now a 180, fuel screw at 1.6 turns out from seated, air temp in the low 40's. warm engine almost to the point of puking coolant. put it in 1st and kill it with the clutch in. kick it to TDC, decomp it to slightly past and be ready. one good kick with NO throttle and she goes everytime. the xr rider still has a boot on the ground, he is NOT going anywhere, gimme a break.

now the really funny part is T18 the '01KTM520MXC that has electric start. it is still sitting there on the line and i'm GONE!!!

the BMR rules.
(that is Blue Midget Racer)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
SUnruh, I am in no way sold on e-starts. I had a 400exc beside me at the line in a Hare & Hound (dead engine) on the 18th, and went past him right out of the hole. I can't believe it can be too hard to push a button and release the clutch!

Just kidding about the XR350. I have a friend who had one, so I recognized what it was. Good LucK this season, and thanks for the starting drill.

------------------

PeteN

Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by SUnruh:
here is a pic (from 2/18) of my piglet smoking the bigbores off the line. do realize this is a DEAD ENGINE start!!!

Fonseca had some trouble with those during some supercross's
wink.gif

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I gotta jump in here regarding Strick's 'difficulty' starting Lil Thumpers 250F. I ride a '99 WR400 that starts 1st or 2nd kick EVERY time. I'm sitting there watching Strick kick that blasted 250F over at least 2 dozen times, thinking 'give me a shot - I'll get it 1st kick, I know the drill' (I'm 250 lbs so 12.5:1 compression is NOT a problem). I kicked that darn bike a half dozen times w/o so much of attempt to ignite. I gave up..... I didn't want to ride it that bad
smile.gif
EXC380man started it up shortly after I gave up....

Lil Thumper claims it starts 1st kick but I don't believe him... Maybe it does in Idaho

Brian

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
LoL, he swears to this day that GSR set him up by grabbing a hand full of throttle before attempting to start it.

To be honest, I have started it just about as much as he has and it starts 1st or 2nd kick everytime.

------------------
SirT

little_thumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2001
I am telling you that is the only time I have had a problem. Honestly as long as you dont touch the throttle it starts.Did you see me have another problem starting it the rest of the weekend?When I started it for Kali and GSR first kick. I must have started it 20 other times that day on the first or 2nd kick the only time anyone paid attention was the one time out of 100 it did not start.
There is no starting problem once you figure it out.....

fire escape

Jan 29, 2001
I have a YZ250F and have not had a problem starting it yet, however my friend has a WR that he is ready to kick to the curb-EXTREMELY hard to start.My jetting is stock -his is stock with airbox lid removed

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
Here's what works for me getting my WR lit. Cold-choke on, five blips of throttle, just past t.d.c., three kicks and it usually fires. If after three kicks it doesnt, give er' some throttle while kicking.
Warm-no hot start, no t.d.c. searching, open throttle wide halfway through kick and usually fires first kick.
Only crashed once (spinout) but managed to keep it running. If it had died and flooded, I think the hot-start may have been necessary.
Also, when it's warmed up I really have no need to use the decompessor, just start kicking.
Almost too easy.

Thump on!

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by sodhead:
Here it is Rodzilla,

I have an old Honda service manual for an XR600 that I used to own.

Page 1-3 under Engine Specification:
Maximum horsepower - 45BHP/6,500rpm
Maximum torque - 5.3kg-m, (39.8 ft-lb)/5,500rpm

Bob
1999 YZ400F

Is that HP measured at the crank or rear wheel. Most manufacturers always give crank HP because it's higher and more impressive. Yamaha claims 41 at the crank of the YZ250F (it's printed on the title).

sodhead

Feb 13, 2001
theMotoMan,

I dont know where they measure the horsepower to get numbers to print in the manuals. I would have to think manufacturers would use whatever method would produce the highest numbers though.

Bob

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I have not had the pleasure of riding a little F yet, but have had some experience with HP four strokes. The position of the air screw can have a direct effect on the machines ability to start (easily). For most people its "Trial& Error" .
Also, guys who are coming off two strokes have a natural tendency to turn the throttle as they're kicking, try putting your right hand on the crossbar when kicking.
Hope this helps!

XTRM250F

Jan 31, 2001
Let me tell ya what I think !!!
the first 2 weeks I had my 250F
I kicked its guts out,
But with a little applied knowledge, adjusting and jetting.
It starts every single kick hot cold dumped stalled....
Its like a new girlfriend you just got to find what turns her on
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
:G
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom