wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
hey,
has anyone in NJ gotten VT registration for their wr250f? what's the deal, can you still register a <300cc bike? the link here:
http://www.ahmaclaughlins.com/VT.html
says you can't do the wr250f! so what are the possible routes to getting registration/plates for a NJ wr250f?

also, is there any way to register a yz250f?

thanks
the wrooster

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
As far as I know, you can title the bike in Vermont and once you have a title, you can register it in New Jersey. I don't know why it would matter what kind of bike it is.

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
vic,
it appears from the website above and looking at the pdf documentation that's on the VT DOT web site that you can't title a motorcycle which is less than 300cc displacement. so it's not the type, but the engine size.

the wrooster

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Kawasaki

Hey, kawasaki makes a zx250, which is a small 250 4 stroke street legal motorcycle geared for beginner street riders... What would make the wr250f illegal?

nkd

Mar 3, 2000
You're right, cannot title in NJ, had same problem

I had the same problem, I put the dualsport kit on my
XR250 and sent the info to vermont for a title and
"NO DEAL". That is a new rule, they will NOT give you a title for a 250CC
bike so without the title you cannot register in NJ. I
ended up going to DMV and they gave me a title, it
was just luck.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Suzuki makes a 250cc Cruiser which obviously would have to have a title, so can they not sell these particular bikes in NJ then?

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
nkd,

hmmm, well i rec'd my title when i purchased the bike new. so the title is in my hands. now then, the nice folks at the ECEA (east coast enduro association) have a page which details, among other things, what you need to ride in an ECEA enduro event ( http://www.ecea.org/enduro/rb.shtml ):

> ECEA events require:
> A current and valid drivers license
> A valid license plate and registration card
> The license plate be mounted to the rear fender, viewable from behind.

so, what's the route to get a valid license plate & registration for a wr250f? surely i'm not the only one on the east coast who is interested in riding enduro with the wr250f? what do you think?

thanks,
the wrooster
'01 wr250f

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I understand, now. I don't think you have a title. You have a certificate of origin. It's not the same thing. I will investigate this further and post my findings. :)

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
vic,

hey you're right-- now that i'm home and i have the piece of paper in front of me, it is the certificate of origin. any help on this is appreciated...

thanks,
the wrooster

nkd

Mar 3, 2000
Yes, a certificate of origin usually states "for offroad use only"

Since the certificate of origin says for
NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE, MV will not
give you a title for it. Then I said that
I converted the bike to street and they
said NO WAY you cannot legally do that
in the state of NJ. Well to make a long
story short, I had a different problem with
the guy who owned the bike before me,
his name was still on the back of the certificate
of origin so MV wouldn't let me do anything. I
went to the original owner, paid him $75 for his
time and he went to MV to get the certificate of
origin in his name. Anway the whole point is that
MV gave him a TITLE instead of a certificate of
origin so he was able to sign the TITLE over to me
and I just had to go and register it at MV. So I
lucked out. It depends on what MV you go to,
some will give you a title. Well, good luck
Nancy:D

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
nkd,

yep, i have that clause exactly, "not for highway use...yadda yadda". and i can't see me having the same luck you had in getting a title from the NJ DMV :*)

any ECEA person know how to deal wth this problem?

thanks
the wrooster

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
I'm going through this nightmare in NY.Titles will say for off road use only as well.This is the big sticking point.DMV will not let you register a bike with this type of title.They also will no longer allow you to Convert the title to motorcycle status as of Jan 00.Before then you simply needed the DMV requirements on the bike and you could have a new title reissued.There are only a handfull of states that still allow this.I have a masterplan in a good bud in another state is going to buy the bike for me register it and when he gets the title he signs it over to me.It will be clean at that point and allow me to register it here in NY.In the meantime he ships me my bike and I use it under his name and regy.I realize not everyone has someone in another offroad friendly state and can trust them to buy a bike with your money.I am lucky

sperduton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 3, 2000
I know what your CO (Certificate of origin) says, for off road use.
take that co down to DMV and get the paperwork for a title and only a title, you can worry about a registration later. Fill the paperwork out. Play dum and don't act like it's a dirt bike. Where the form has a spot for mileage, make up a number. Go to DMV at the end or beginning of the month when they are the busiest and see if it will go through. If it does not go through, go to another DMV. A person I talked to had luck with this last month at DMV in the middlesex mall. It just takes patience. When you get the title, registartion is a piece of cake. I have not seen a CO in awhile, but I talked to one person who typed up a sticker that said something to the effect of. "the vehicle sold with no expressed or implied liens...." and he put the sticker over the part that said, not for off road use.

Good luck

Nick

Weld it

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2001
All,

I registered my YZ-250F in Vermont with no problems, all I needed to show them was the paperwork from the dealer proving I paid sales tax, and the VIN number was correct. The comment saying you can't title a motorcylce
under 300 cc only affects the amount of money you have to pay. My total
was $35, I went to the Vermont government website and e-mailed them asking them to send the paperwork to me and sent them a money order
and about 4 weeks later I received a plate and title. You will have to the dealer sign the paper and put their dealer number on it. I am in Iowa and when I filled out the paperwork I used my Iowa address and still had no problems. You got to love the state of Vermont ....

Weld it

Weld it

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2001
wrooster,

I titled it about 3 months ago, the easiest route to go is to take a photocopy of your bill of sale or contract and send it in with the paperwork. Take your time when you get the paperwork and read it closely so you don't forget to fill in one of the many boxes. ( you can use a typewriter to make it look a little more professional ) A good example was the on the size I put in 250 cc / single cylinder. Color - blue, etc. Make sure your dealer signs it and puts in their dealer i.d. number. My dealer laughed at me when I told him what I was doing but he had no problems signing it. When the title/
plate showed up I took it to the dealership and showed how easy it was to get it licensed. I even e-mailed the Vermont license division and asked them any questions, they are actually very helpful to get the paperwork done right.

Weld it.

DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
WRooster
Have you had any luck yet?
My dealer told me that the Camden office was the place that they had the most luck.
I tried it there twice, but was shot down both times.
If you do find a place, please let me know and I will do the same.
Thanks!

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
So you never had to take the bike to Vermont right? That sounds like a sweet deal, what was the total cost for that? I can think of few things cooler than stroling my WR 400 down main st in full riding gear. :)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Sorry I just thought of something cooler, how about ripping in the pine barrens and pointing to the license plate when NJ park ranger smoe bob boy comes chasing you down with his toung hanging out all pumped up about sand errossion or someting.:cool:

yz250f

Jan 29, 2001
Keep your state laws in mind.....

just keep n mind your state may have laws about off road riding regardless if your bike is registered or not.

An example.... in NH you need an off road sticker even if your bike is street legal and registered. Check your atates codes just to cover your ass.

Ride safe...

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
Originally posted by JasonJ
Sorry I just thought of something cooler, how about ripping in the pine barrens and pointing to the license plate when NJ park ranger smoe bob boy comes chasing you down with his toung hanging out all pumped up about sand errossion or someting.:cool:

And then what? Take the ticket from NJ park ranger smoe bob boy? If he wants, he'll nail you for more than sand erosion. On your way back home, stop by the station and pick your bike up from impound.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yup, there like that there. They nailed my girlfriend for riding a 100% legal 1974 Suzki Ts 185 cc 2 stroke cause she didnt have her info and junk on her. I was riding a IT 250 and they wrote me up but I must have forgotten my name back at the truck, cause I ended up giving them one that was not mine. I dont ride Jersy anymore, everyone I know stays out of the sand garden state too. I had a bud that tried to go down memorial day weekend against all advice and the Smoe bobs met him in the parking spot to welcome him to NJ. I noticed the race there was canceled due to screwd up paper work,,,,,, meaning some one forgot to give enough green papers with presidents on it to keep the fuzz full of Doughnuts! My advice to you besiged NJ riders is,,,,,,,, MOVE!. I here Vermont it nice :) .

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
jasonj,
actually the njorvp (www.njorvp.org) is pretty good, they have a bunch of different mx tracks (kids, intermediate, pro) and they don't mix quads and bikes on any track -- quads have their own track. the pro track is pretty, well, pro, as in SX -- you need your brass ones on to clear the jumps. (this is probably a major sticking point for some, the intermediate track is conquered in a couple of weeks, but the pro track is a *major* step up in difficulty. if you're not used to big air and really steep jump fronts, well...)

then there are 3 marked enduro loops, mostly single track with a generous helping of sandy whoops. plus there are some "unofficial" adjacent areas out by the old factory and so on. membership at njorvp is $150 for the year, or you can just pay for a daily pass on any day except sunday. on sundays, daily passes are only sold to people accompanied by a park member. so saturdays are usually the busiest. the park has some good facilities (e.g. porta johns and parking) but no concession of any kind so bring your water and power bars with you. and gas; the nearest gas station is about 15 miles.

but you're right, nj is not a dirt bike riders haven. but, nj is where my job is, you know that whole "food on the table" thingy. i heard though that vermont is getting really tough to ride in, there are some new really stringent rules. i came about this 2nd hand so i'm not sure what the deal is.

where do you ride out in PA? my wife's parents have a 2nd house in the poconos, i know that TRAX (at jack frost) is nearby. is it any good? i ride mostly trails, some mx, no big air. is there anywhere else in that area and what are the registration/license requirements.

the wrooster

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
I live right on the edge of the pines. not too far from the ORV park. I ride my cr250 or klx right to the enduro trails...on the road. I'm tagged, licensed and insured as per enduro requirements and have never had a problem. I've gotten stopped once by a 'smoe bob' to tell me to be careful coz there were some quads riding around w\o regard to what was around blind corners....this is in 15 years of riding here. I parked behind a pit that had some pit squids riding in there...the ranger pulled up to me and said, 'oh, I didn't see the tag, I'm assuming you're legal?' I said yes and he left me alone after asking if the guys in the pit were with me. I said no and he chased them out. An older guy riding a clapped out kx with shorts on, a tshirt and no helmet with his kid on a small quad with no helmet....the ranger did them a favor.
The enduro was canceled because of a fire hazard...the woods were dry. There are\were no races canceled because the proper paperwork wasn't filed.
As to the original question of getting a tag, you gotta be lucky in NJ and hit the DMV at the right time. The state troopers are fast becoming smart to the Vermont regis. and most will still write you up with one. I don't know about the rangers. It seems to me if you attract attention to yourself by riding like an idiot in the open or not wearing the right stuff, then it's open season on you....as it should be. Other times you can do everything right but be in the wrong place....you have to know where you can ride.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Hmmm, I have been trying to find out how and where to ride in NJ and not get hasselded by the man, this track and tag stuff is the first I have herd of legit riding. Can you give me phone # and the where abouts of the area you are talking about?
Wrooster, Jack Frost is ok but a bit small and crowded. Lots of free space to trail ride up that way. If you go down the TP from the pocos get off at Hazelton exit, and get to Rt 309, you can just find a spot to park and ride on the south side of town. The villiage of Mcadoo is a good place to park. There is a camp ground you can go to called 8Bs and pay 10 bucks to stay the night, you dont have to worry about your truck and stuff then and you can ride right into the camp. White haven is cool for trails too, its right off the TP and 81. 81 splits the riding area in half but there is at least 3 ways I know of to get under and or over the highway, you just have to use your light and kinda duck down in one of the drainage tunnels :) .
Note, when I say TP I mean the NE extension of the Pa turn pike, Rt 476, its Rt 9 on older maps.

Top Bottom