wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
got a question. many wrf folks, on the 250 and 400/426 sides, have retimed their bikes to the yzf spec. performance in certain areas is improved, and there doesn't seem to be much downside. but can a yzf-timed wrf engine *really* perform like a stock yzf? the reason i ask is because i'm not sure that the two different bikes share the same mapping for their CDI units. in other words, is the CDI's 3D contour map (timing+throttle opening+rpm) the same for the wrf and yfzf engines? do the yz250f and wr250f use the exact same black box? is the computer on a yzf timed wrf operating under some incorrect assumptions?

rich, what do you think?

the wrooster

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
The part number is the same for both, I believe (I was looking them up for a customer awhile back). I'll check it out at work on Monday and give you a real answer then!

kiwimike

Feb 10, 2001
wrooster--This isnt an answer to your question but since the subject of CDI contour mapping had come up l thought you might be interested in this.
I was riding at a club MX a few weeks ago (in New Zealand) and noticed a friends YZF250 had an accessory CDI unit running on his bike. He had been having a lot of starting and apparent ignition problems and had forked out for a Wolf CDI, a unit made in Australia that allows the rider to programme the 3D ignition map for various kinds of riding. He had a handle bar mounted switch near the throttle that allowed him to choose between a 3D and a 2D map while riding so if he needed a little more power at high revs it was available at a quick jab of the thumb. He said there was a noticable increase in power from the OEM unit.
I`ve not seen any reference to these units in previous DRN posts and l have no idea if they are sold in the US either, so please excuse my ignorance if you already know about them. You can find more info at www.wolfems.com.au

Top Bottom