tphss

Apr 6, 2004
Hey all,

About a month ago I bought a used WR250F (2001), gosh this bike is a pain in the ass.
It's impossible to start easy, after bringing it 2 times to the god damn shop it still maybe starts a bit better (still got stuck 20 min after it stalled when the engine was very hot) but it still stalls and the starting is just killing you after the bike get shuts off after riding an hour and being tired, then kicking the starter like 50 times.

So that's it, I'm replacing it. Sicking tired of it, pissed of and disappointed and to tell you the truth I don't have time to start fixing the problems it has with the starting and start installing a 2003 cam, with timing, start to play with jetting, and DSP powernow, powerlater, bla bla.

So now, I might buy a 2004 model if I can get a good deal on'em, if not, 2005, all brand new:
-WR250F brand new WITH(!!!!!) electric start
-CRF250X 2004/5
-CRF250R 2004/5
-KX125/YZ125 2004/5

Does the CRF250X have less power then my current WR250F? cause I love the powerband the WR250F has (when it's working).
I dont ride motocross, I ride trails, woods/forest and sand.
I'm 5'11-6' and weight like 150lbs, i'm not a novice I guess.
Electric start is not a MUST as you see, but I need a bike that will start on the damn FIRST KICK (like the CRF250R), so if any of the bikes I listed have any (any!) starting problems they are off the subject, PERIOD.

Going to buy the bike Tuesday I hope,
Please tell me what you think.
Thanks.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The CR250X has less power than my mower, I think...:eek:. The WR is a tough engine to beat, plus w/ the e-button I would be real inclined to go that way. Keep in mind, I am a Honda freak, but that small bore Honda 250 didn't appeal to me at all in the woods. The WR runs good, the YZF runs great (no button) and the KTM small bore was a blast too. :cool:

tphss

Apr 6, 2004
And will a new Exhaust system and DSP Powernow help the CRF250X to reach CRF250R power?
What mods are the best for the CRF250X? I think this is my choice for now.
It really depends how long I need to wait for each bike, I need my bike fast and not in 2 weeks, soon it will be raining and will get friggin cold.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Sure, you could drop 600 bucks on a new exhaust for the CRF250X, but do you really want to go that route? I haven't ridden the bike, but it sounds like people are more impressed with the bike's engine than they think they will be. There are some free mods you can do to the bike to get some more power, but I don't think I'd be messing with the exhaust or a power now. When you think about it, a big bore on these things is cheaper and is going to gain you real (and much greater) increase in power without sacrificing your eardrums.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
KTM big bore kit runs great, almost perfect woods power. I liked the 351 kit better than any of the 250 four strokes and better than any of my 450's or 525 (although the 400/450 big bore kit from TR was hard to beat).

I agree w/ you on the big bore kits, $$$ for $$$ they are one of the best mods out there...notice what is on my CR?

tphss

Apr 6, 2004
If engine power is good enough stock in the CRF250X I got no reason to spend more money...
But then again, a WR250F will be stronger stock?

I'm talking about brand new bikes, 2004-2005...

You think I should drop the idea of a 125?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yes the WR runs circles around the stock CRFX's 28 hp, plus better delivery. For that matter, the tried and true KDX is a great choice for woods...and they run great.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Hey, T,

It's Will here,

The WR's and 250X's in stock form are very restricted in the intake, exhaust and valve timing departments. They're designed out of the box to be smooth, quiet, mellow and more economical. There's a lot of potential in both motors, but they require minor modifications to let the engine come to life. The problem is that the local dealers sell about 1 bike for every 30 4-wheelers, so they don't keep up on modifications and performance enhancement for the bikes. However, there are lots of folks around who are very knowledgeable about making the enduro models breathe fire.

I'm not sure if this is a generalization, but many of the repair departments in local dealerships have a half-dozen CRF-X's in the repair bay with major engine problems. I was picking up some revalved suspension for a buddy at a Honda dealership, and the chief mechanic joked that it's a good thing the repair bay is separate from the sales area, because no one would be too confident buying the 250X. This is very unlike Honda, who usually have very reliable machines. I'd love an X, too, but my money will be in my pocket for a couple of years to let them get reliablity sorted out. Yamaha has had more years to get the reliability issue sorted out, and if it was my money, I'd be looking at any E-start WR model. If you really want to get the best of both worlds, a KTM 450 EXC is a killer bike. They are more expensive, but you won't be bleeding the bank account buying aftermarket hop-ups. I may know a guy selling an '02 450EXC E-start fully tricked out...and he's already moved to New Zealand, so the price will be attractive. Diligently maintained and ready to roll. And the power won't be "too much" for you unless you really yank the throttle. Lovely bike.

Take my 125 for a spin if you're half thinking of going that route. I don't mind letting you give it a good test. Unless you're really committed to tinkering with the bike to get it set up for woods, I wouldn't go 125. It'll cost you $1500 in aftermarket goodies to become the bike you want. Lower resale value, you're still growing, and it requires more of an attack riding style.

The KDX 200 is a great suggestion. I think they're wonderful woods bikes, low maintenance, and lots of performance potential. There's one for sale at Diablo Honda in Lachine for less than $4000, and it's got some nifty stuff on it.

Don't be too discouraged...you're a good rider, and there's still another 10 weeks of good riding left.

Call my home number (not my cell) if you want to take the 125 out.

Will

tphss

Apr 6, 2004
Thanks Will,

There are basically few problems.

1) After my father saw how many problems I have with this bike and that it doesn't have E-start, he doens't want me to buy a kickstart bike, only one with E-start.
2) I need to buy the bike from my Local dealer (the one I bought the WR from) for him to give me good trade-in options, and he carries only Kawasaki-Yamaha-Honda, so I can buy a CRF250X, or a WR250F. 2004 models.

I hope what you are saying about the 250X is not true cause that seems like the bike I want, if a few 100's will make it powerfull enough, it's my choice.
I would consider the 450EXC although it is too powerfull for me, but then again, see #2.

Oh well, i'll see tomorrow what's up, but i'm buying a new bike tomorow.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
That's pretty exciting! If you go red, you'll have to talk your dad into getting new gear so you're colour-coordinated...(not really, but it's worth a try). I wasn't trying to rain on your parade about the 250X reliability thing. Just being a friend. The Honda's are simply beautiful looking bikes, and I'm sure your dealer will insist on you following the scheduled tune-up intervals.

E-start is the way to go. My buddy's KTM 525 EXC has the button, and we were trying to kick it over just for fun...at 130 lbs, I just stood on the starter at top dead centre, and it didn't move.

Anyway, be sure to invite me out to see you ride your cool new bike. I'm due for a good ride this week.
Q: Any resolution to your brand new Sidi boots that came apart?

tphss

Apr 6, 2004
Why do you think I got black/white riding gear? :P

Tomorrow i'll know for sure what bike i'm getting.

Sidi didn't call me back yet, so i'm one sided bootless.

tphss

Apr 6, 2004
Just purchased a brand new 2004 CRF250X :yeehaw: :worship:
So long WR :)

BTW, Sidi sent the toe-cup, really good distributor of the motorcycle devision of SIDI in Canada...

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Tphss,

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the CRF250X vs. the WR250F.

Good luck with the new bike.

tphss

Apr 6, 2004
Thanks,

Sure after I break it in and have a real ride i'll post here!
It will probably be only in about 10 days...
:yeehaw:

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
T,

Okay, I can't stand it!!! You've got to invite me out to see your new machine in action. I'm itching to ride, the weather's great, and my dirty blue bike is ready to rock.

Will

NCPaulD

<<<< TROLL >>>>
Mar 16, 2004
Almost every reply you had said that the CRF was second best, but you bought it anyway. Since you already had your mind made, why the post?

I have rode the 250x several times on an mx track and loved it. Just hope you are willing to keep up with preventive maintenace schedule or it will come back to haunt you for being lazy.

tphss

Apr 6, 2004
I don't know what you mean, but in my posts I clearly say the CRF is my choice.

Any special things to say about this bike NCPaulD?
I'll do the maintenace by-the-book other then the regular stuff.

What do you mean why the post?

Top Bottom