dirtbike59

Sponsoring Member
Oct 12, 2000
Hi my dad needs a new bike. He has narrowed it down too these two bikes. I would like it if you people could give him some info on these bikes, both good and bad. the type of riding he would do is mostly trails. He doesn't like sand pits or mx tracks. BTW he is getting old and he like something that is light but easy to start.

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
I'd say a big key here is the easy to start part.This is not the 250F from what I've read.The DRZ has the E start.The 250's motor needs to be wound up pretty good to get the blood flowing as the DRZ has plenty downstairs and right on up.The DRZ is heavier about 277lbs E start and 268 kicker.Most who own a DRZ say the weight is not noticable when you are riding the bike and it turns like an RM250.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
When you fall, in technical stuff, the two things that can tire an older guy out are weight and starting. It's not surprising, then, that those are the two things important to him. Unfortunately, you've got a heavy bike with e-start or a hard-starting light bike. I'd say if he rarely falls, go with the heavier bike that carries its weight well -- the DRZ. If he falls (like me) then perhaps the lighter bike. It's easier to wrestle around on the side of a hill. On the other hand, it's harder to start. Arrrghh -- that's clear as mud, eh? Get a KTM 400 -- light and e-start?

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
not!

five minutes of playing with the fuel screw and five more minutes learning the proper starting technique solves the"reported" wr250f starting issues. i have a wr250f, my bother has the yz250f. both bikes start first or second kick, hot or cold. the yzf was set up perfect from yamaha, the wrf needed a bit of tweaking on the fuel screw (too rich as delivered, an easy test for this is that the bike starts easier cold with the hot start button pulled out...if this is the case, tunr the fuel screw IN, which is UPWARD since it's in upside down underneath the carb.). the only time you may have an issue getting either bike to start is if you let it lay on it's left side for a minute, e.g. after a crash. in this case, pull the decomp and "clear" it via 5 or so kicks. then do the drill and it'll light right up. otherwise, starting the f's is straightforward.

don't believe me? go to the yz/wr250f forum on http://www.thumpertalk.com and find the thread entitled "you've heard the talk, now see the video!" -- and watch a yz250f rider at a dead engine start harescramble beat a pile of E-start machines, including some ktm520's, to the first turn.

a race ready wr250f prepped for the trails (i.e. with cycra hand guards etc) will weigh in around 245. junk the stock front tire (D739), it's only good if you don't ever have to turn, get a 755 or 756. cut the throttle stop, open up the airbox, pull the exhaust plug out, and then snip the grey wire. no drz will be able to keep you in sight.

the wrooster

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
It's not the dead-engine start when the bike's been warmed up and ready for it, Wrooster. It's the situation you mentioned -- where the bike's been dropped on its side on the side of a tough uphill. The drill itself can be a problem, depending on your footing (or lack thereof), and that's assuming that it does, indeed, light right up after doing the drill.

jdiaz

Oct 30, 2000
The problem with the DRZ is that it doesn't know its not supposed to be good at everything. So it makes the rider *think* it is good at everything, and that can get a little exciting at times. :) I like riding mine everywhere, and even though I'm not that skilled, it makes all of it fun. I've done a couple hare scrambles, an enduro, and a bit of trail riding, and I look forward to riding it every time I load it in the truck.

The engine is a jewel. Pulls everywhere, sips gas out on the trails, and with the stock muffler core in place, is quiet. I haven't even bothered rejetting. I added a kicker after the battery took a dive during the warranty period, and I think it starts more quickly with the kicker than the button. But I only feel like using the kicker once or twice a day. :)

I like the WRF, but it seems a little more intense than I am probably ready for right now.

Jon
'01 BMW K1200LT
'00 DRZ400E
'88 BMW K75
'86 BMW R65

Derhntr

May 1, 2001
My Vote!

Is for the DRZ. Love mine. The WR will handle the whoops better, but its harder to ride than the DRZ. At the end of a day is when the DRZ shines

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
It totally depends on where you plan to ride and what type of riding you plan to do because no bike is the best choice for every situation.

Unless you plan to ride some really gnarly low speed terrain, don’t rule out the YZ250F. I am so glad I chose the YZF over the WRF. It is the perfect bike for 99% of lower Michigan’s single track. The YZF is 15 pounds lighter than the WRF and about 40 pounds lighter than the DRZ. My YZF starts first or second kick every time and I don’t even have to lift my tired old butt off the seat to do it. I rode a fairly stock DRZ a while back and found it to be softer on the low end than my bike (!) but more powerful from the midrange on up. The suspension advantage depended totally on where you happened to be riding. The YZF is great for the sand whoops and the DRZ is great in the rocks. Because Michigan has three rocks and 10 bazillion sand whoops, guess which bike I liked better?

The DRZ would be perfect for dual sporting or all-day trail cruising. However, if you are an aggressive rider you would be better off with one of the Yamaha’s.

Derhntr

May 1, 2001
Badgerman, They did get a little rain up at LMC on sunday, just enough to cut the dust.

DRZ VS WR/YZ I don't think you can really go wrong with either bike.

After reading your credits from past year I would say the DRZ will most like be eating some Yamaha dust:( Unless we hook up on the ORV route (read fireroad) :p

See ya Sat

Brian

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
LOL!
Remember, those “credits” are from a time when I was young and stupid! I have more than two clavicles now and a lot more sense.

The DRZ I was speaking of belongs to Loctite from Cadillac. He is promising to ride this weekend provided we get some more rain so you may not be the only DRZ rider. He seems to be able to go pretty darn fast on his DRZ, especially through the really tight stuff.

I still don’t know which day(s) I will be riding since I am coordinating w/ Loctite, Mweissen, and Jeff. I am looking forward to it though. It should be a great time, especially if it rains. The forecast this morning said chances for rain Tues, Weds, and Sat!

You are right, they are all great bikes in their proper element.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Two different motorcycles built and designed for different types of riding. The WR and its YZF brother are more race-oriented machines with high-revving, harder-hitting motors and more aggressive, stiffer suspension and handling. The DRZ is more of a playbike. It's more of a sit-down, ride the trails all day kind of machine while the WR is more of a stand-on-the-pegs, hammer and race machine. If your dad is aggressive and wants to ride hard, go for the WR. If he's more interested in just having fun and casual riding, the DRZ is the weapon of choice.

Top Bottom