v1rot8

Nov 29, 2003
I am looking to get back into trail riding and maybe novice Hare scrambles. 5'10" 160. Beginner. Limited experience on an RM125.

My original intent was a WR250F, I really wanted to look at a 4 stroke with Estart. The RM was a handfull on the trails.

However, one dealer suggested a KTM 250 exc rfs, but from what I read, the rfs is down on power. Also, another dealer suggested the 200 EXC and although it's a 2 stroke, riders seem to enjoy it. It seems to make an excellent trail bike.

Any suggestions, 2 or 4 stroke, WR or KTM? I'm just trying to make an informed choice.

Thanks

B

biglou

I loved my 250MXC for woods. Nice fat low end and not a violent hit like the RM. It will open up and rip when needed, however. Same general power output as an MX bike, just a smoother delivery. They only make the 250EXC these days, which is probably a better choice for trails with the wide-ratio tranny compared to the MXC's close-ratio. And, more power than the WR250, although the WR is a fine bike. I only rode a 200 once, and it was great as well. I never really wound it out, but it seemed to be plenty powerful enough with the same smooth delivery of my 250. Weight difference between the two kTm's was negligable, but both will be a lot lighter than the WR. Less tiring for longer rides from everything I've read.

v1rot8

Nov 29, 2003
Which Bike?

WR250F vs KTM EXC
I am looking to get back into trail riding and maybe novice Hare scrambles. 5'10" 160. Beginner. Limited experience on an RM125.

My original intent was a WR250F, I really wanted to look at a 4 stroke with Estart. The RM was a handfull on the trails.

However, one dealer suggested a KTM 250 exc rfs, but from what I read, the rfs is down on power. Also, another dealer suggested the 200 EXC and although it's a 2 stroke, riders seem to enjoy it. It seems to make an excellent trail bike.

Any suggestions, 2 or 4 stroke, WR or KTM? I'm just trying to make an informed choice. I want a fun, flickable trail bike that is reliable.

Thanks

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
For a novice, get the WR. The KTM 250rfs is a dog. You will be able to progress as a rider from trail riding to racing on a WR. Do the free mods as you progress, and the bike will get more powerful as you go. The 200exc is a great bike, more of a racer than a trail rider though. Once you master the WR, you can get the 250exc and start chasing down Barry Hawk.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Go for the KTM 450 it will fit all your needs and more!

v1rot8

Nov 29, 2003
I've narrowed it down to the WR and 200EXC. I like the Estart 4s, but also like 200EXCs lighter weight and added features. Also, it's $300 less.

Ultimately, if I keep obsessing over the choices, my wife may make the decision for me----NO BIKE, new furniture.

Thanks

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I have not got any seat time on the WR250F, but have ridden both the YZ250F and the KTM 200MXC. The YZ has to be ridden like a 2 stroke (keep the revs up) while the 200 seems to pull from an idle. My 200 will throw all the roost you could want in 2nd (1st is mostly useless, which means a change in final gearing soon) and will hook up and lift the front end in 3rd and 4th at the blink of an eye. The 200 is based upon the 125 geometry, frame and engine while the 250 shares the geometry, frame and engine with the 300 and, if I remember correctly, the 380. I recently weighed my bike and with about a gallon of gas, it weighed in at 220#. The WR will weigh more in full battle dress as the YZ does. The YZ feels heavier.

They have quit making the MXC (desert) version of the 200, but the EXC is still in the lineup. The only difference, other than lighting, that I know of is the MXC has a narrow ratio while the EXC has a wide ratio transmission.

To confuse the issue more, KTM has returned the 400 to their line up and I have one of those as well. The bike is great, has plenty of predictable power, but feels heavy to me, so my son rides it more than I do now. BTW - the 400 has the majic button.

I came from a 125 Penton background, so smaller and lighter is what I prefer.

FTR - I am 5'-11", 165# ( Turkey Day evening weigh in :laugh: ) and have a 32" inseam. All of the new bikes are too tall feeling for me, so I have lowered the frame on the 400 and am contemplating the same on the 200.

One last thought ... The seat height on the KTMs (all) is 2~3 inches lower than the YZ and, I imagine as well, the WR.

v1rot8

Nov 29, 2003
Thanks,

I've narrowed it to a WR or 200EXC for trail riding and/or novice scrambles. The KTM is actually $300 cheaper here.

So, my questions are: How is the EXC on muddy trails? The RM was a lot of work. How's the reliability, cost of use, 4s vs 2s comparisons for casual riding in the forest with some novice racing?

It's come down to weight, flickability, ease of use, and the Estart for choice.
The RM125 I used, probably not the best choice for muddy clay forest hills, turned me originally to the 4 stroke and it's ability to lug up stuff. However, I am wondering if the wide ratio EXC200 would also fill the bill.

Without any pals locally to test ride or obtain input, I appreciate the input before I plunk down cha ching for a new ride.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
If I could only get Patman, Greenhorn or DougRoost to answer this thread. All three live in the Austin area and have/had KTMs.

My vote would be the 200. It is light enough that you will not have to fight it on the trails. You may not have to fight the WR but the WR will always be a heavier bike.

As far as riding in black gumbo, I know that the 200 can handle that. I have not had mine long, but the black gumbo east of Austin is very similar to the red clay around Cooperland ( DirtWeek :yeehaw: ) and the gumbo we ride in here in North Texas. The weight of the bike will become an larger factor as more of the goo collects on the bike. I rode my 125 Penton into and through mud that would stop many larger bikes and the 200 reminds me of the Penton in many ways.

My 200 is very easy to start and almost impossible to stall. I rode up a hill at MacKenzie and found myself in trouble. I fanned the clutch a few times and with a bit of throttle control made the top of the hill. Upon reaching the top I was mad at myself for not downshifting from 3rd to 2nd ... only to find out that I had actually been in 4th. I am talking about a hill about 40~50 feet tall with loose rock/boulders and sand ... my confidence in the bike rose quite a bit after that escapade. :scream: and mine is the MXC version.

There was an article in one of the dirt rags (Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike if I remember correctly) by an editor for the mag who was trying to get on the ISDE team. He made it on his second try on a 200EXC (his first ride on the bike) and in the article stated that it was the best bike he had ever ridden in those conditions. Most of our riding mimics the ISDE conditions during the prime riding months (Oct~May).

If you can get to Dallas, bring your gear and you can ride mine. :thumb:

v1rot8

Nov 29, 2003
Thanks a lot Tony,

Truthfully, I have wanted a WR and had my mind set on one for about a year now. The RM and the muddy-clay of southern Ohio turned me off on a 2stroke MX for the trails. Since I'm a begginer, it was more of a workout than my mtn bike, but my experienced riding partner=no problem. However, the EXC has challenged my decision process, since it is a 2 stroke set up to do what I want off the showroom(wr trans & heavier flywheel). I''m just a little tenative on choosing a model till I get some experienced input. Also, I don't want to do the yearly trade-up. I would like a bike that my experience could start with and grow with, since I'm in my mid 30s and probably going downhill. :)

Thanks for the offer, maybe if the wife lets me and I can make my decision, we'll be able to try out each other's bikes.

Brian

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I prefer the 200, primarily because of weight. In the majority of situations the 200 is a better bike. You can ride it in 2 or 3rd gear and lug it which keeps the wheel spin down. Learn the art of short shifting and you will love it!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
S12 Michelins work good in the mud but don't take them on the road. I have them on my KDX and they really help.

The EXC is just as good of a beginner bike as the WR. It's a OK track bike too if you are trying to beat a pack of 250's. I really like the 2 stroke power on the trails. Ride them and decide which power you like. Both are great trail bikes that a pretty versatile.

v1rot8

Nov 29, 2003
Thanks for info DRs,

I picked up the EXC today, scared the neighbors and now I have to go away for work for 4 days. ARGGGH! I think it'll be a great ride and the wife will eventually get over it. Ha Ha.

Brian

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
Originally posted by Bandit9
For a novice, get the WR. The KTM 250rfs is a dog. You will be able to progress as a rider from trail riding to racing on a WR. Do the free mods as you progress, and the bike will get more powerful as you go. The 200exc is a great bike, more of a racer than a trail rider though. Once you master the WR, you can get the 250exc and start chasing down Barry Hawk.

Hey my cousin has the rfs 250 and i agree its slow. But hes getting the 351 kit for it. I was gona get the wr250 but havent seen the 351 kits for it. I want the wr to be as fast as his will be. Any suggestions?

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
Originally posted by mdkuder
Go for the KTM 450 it will fit all your needs and more!

Im 19, 5 6/5'7 140lbs. I want a 4stroke woods bike. I live in RI- mostly rocky, and I am not a ral fast rider. Do you think the 450 is too much for me?
i just recently took a yr off riding, but started in 93.

Top Bottom