Rev

Mar 6, 2001
Alright all you thumpers out there. Here is the big question? Right now I have a 2000 kdx200 with all the mods except head work and boring it out. I`m 6` #210 I had to redo the front fork because it`s set up for a #130 rider.First dirt bike I have had and love riding tight trails. Now I want a thumper. looking at a 2002 wr250f is this a good move or not? Don`t think I`m ready for a 426 yet, so don`t even think about it. The only thing a hear about the Yam 4stroke is the hard starting is it true or is it BS. Help me get out of the KDX forums and into the thumper forums.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Unless you need 3 gallons of gas I would go for the YZF250 not the wr, I purchased a WR and ended up changing the huge tank and seat for YZF stuff, I also changed to YZ timing, I should of just got a YZF in the first place. The gearing alone isn't worth getting a WR. Of course you may want a headlight ? I took that off as well. I couldn't start my bike for a week or two after I got it, but I understand they changed ignition on the 02 to fix this, the biggest problem is you have to learn a "method" of starting it. It does start , better than my friends XR250 2001 model, but you have to KNOW the Method to start it. If it gets flooded by rider error or whatever means, your stuck for a while.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Never, NEVER EVER touch the GAS. if you go down, I usually try to turn the gas off before I pick the bike up. Flooding seems to be the biggest problem. As far as starting : Set the idle high, bring the kick starter to top dead center, then pull the compression release lever and push the kick starter down about 1 inch until it clears, then pull it back up to top dead center. this should allow you to get a full stroke kick. With the choke open it Should fire up fine. When there new I believe they are harder to start, which gives them a bad reputation. After learning the process and getting to Know the bike, I have had Zero problems. When it was new though, I myself slammed the bike on the forums because I couldn't get it to start.

swamper

Jul 7, 2000
kdx to wrf

I just made the switch from KDX200 to the WR250f. Powerwise the WR will outmotor the kdx hands down. The power delivery is different however. The kdx has more snap down low than the WR. I was impressed with how the WR will lug down and pull up hills from relatively low rpm. I've got no real complaints about the powerband and it sure is fun when you let it sing a little. Suspension wise the WR has the kdx beat all around. There's about 15 yrs. difference in technology there. However, I've ridden a modified kdx that was pretty nice. Regarding starting the kdx will start with a half-a***d kick every time. Don't try that with the WR. The only time I've had trouble starting mine was during a race. Once I pulled the choke instead of the hotstart (Doh), the other time was 1.5 hrs into a harescramble and I was cross-rutted tired and covered with mud. Otherwise I can start my WR with one or two kicks most of the time.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
I had a YZF250, sold mainly due to a injury and I didnt want to make any payments for a year while I recovered. But, the starting issue is REAL, I heard as well that it may have been fixed for 02. I would wait and see what the reports say, also by waiting you should get a better deal. Plus perhaps the euro 250 four stroke's might be avalible and they all have a electric start.
just my 2 cents:)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
If the 250f's are anything like my '99 WR400 it wouldn't start to save my life until I got it jetted correctly. Now it starts 1-2 kicks 99% of the time. I have yet to have to cuss it out and walk away from it in disgust. My WR starts easier than my wife's '92 XR250R:p

Brian

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
I'm sure jetting has a lot to do with also, but I don't think they have a True starting issue from the factory anymore, I did go up one on the main on mine, and could proably go up one on the pilot. The bikes are lean, and if you open up the exhaust and airbox, they need more fuel.

Top Bottom