KillJoy

Jan 7, 2004
Today I just went and got up my first thumper. :yeehaw: It's a 1998 WR400, an awesome bike. The guy I bought it off used to race the bike so he has done a few things to it.He has it on YZ timing, and it has a T1 exhaust system on it. He also gave me the original pipe, an extra fender, and a new rear tire that goes with it.
I bought this for $3500 canadian. I have one picture of it ---->here.<---- It's in awesome shape, and I'm just itching to take it out for a ride. :ride:
I am curious what everybody here thinks of this bike. It seems a little loud, and it can be a pain to start, but other than that, the bike seems perfect. :)

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
KillJoy said:
I am curious what everybody here thinks of this bike. It seems a little loud, and it can be a pain to start, but other than that, the bike seems perfect. :)

You may try repacking the exhaust, although it will still be very loud. The stock YZ silencer (w/ stock header) makes a good spread of power w/ lots of rev. and is much quieter relative to most aftermarket cans.; you should be able to find one used.

The stock YZ exhaust is hard to beat.

You will need to overcome the starting difficulties, this will take some practice. To make it easier you can update to an auto-decomp. setup by swapping in a WR (or YZ, depending on the cam timing you prefer) 450 cam assembly...

This bike (the YZ/WR 400) was way, way ahead of its time. Still a very good bike, even when compared to a brand new model.

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
Sounds just like my son-in-law's bike. WR400 with YZ timing. He has a BigGun exhaust. Hick is right about the starting. My son-in-law had problems when he first got it, but now he is used to it. We just got back from Colorado, riding in the mountains. Had no problems at all and we went on some very difficult trails. Even to the top of American Flag mountain(12,729"). The WR is a great bike. :ride:

bake

Sep 20, 2001
I really like mine but am not fussy on the extra maintance or overall height. Guess there is a price for everything. Starting should not be a problem, read up on how to start it properly.

Top Bottom