wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Jer -Hopefully your listening.
Went on a 40 mile trail ride today after riding predominantly MX, and some wide open fire roads, and almost hit a hundred trees. My bike simply wouldnt turn. I feel like I overshot almost every turn today, which is why I was mostly at the back of the pack, but it was really bad. Ive got to do something about this-I know it can be better.
I run stock springs up front. Four clicks on the rebound (S), and 4 clicks in on the compression. I realized later in the day my front tire was a little hard, (went on a rocky ride last week), which is probably why it felt like it was washing out, running in a straight line, and in everything else. By the time I realized this, the ride was just about over. I dropped some air and will wait til the end of the week to test it out.
What really bothers me is that it can and should handle better. Have I completely screwed up the suspension? Ive only made slight changes, yet it feels so far off. I need a good starting point. Im 228lbs, ride fairly aggressive, and am using the YZ seat/tank, so it should REALLY handle better than this. I never set my sag, (bonehead), but only turned the rear compression in 2 clicks. What the heck did I do wrong? :(

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
You already mentioned the thing that will help you the most, which is setting your sag. At your weight, this will make a significant difference.

Also softening the comp. damping on the front and slowing down rhe rebound will help, too. However, acheiving proper sag is always the first step in setting up a bike's suspension. Do this ASAP.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Thanks for the advice John. I am going to set my sag tonite. I will probably end up having to get a new rear spring, and some new fronts. Do you or anyone else know what range spring I should go for? Before purchasing anything, I will have my sag set correctly!
Thanks!

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
Go ahead and set your sag, then see what the static sag is (how much it sags with just the weight of the bike) This is what will tell you if you need a stiffer spring. It needs to sag approx. 3/4th of an inch or so. Anything much less than that indicates the need for a stiffer spring.

motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
Tire pressure could very well be the culprit. I run Michelin MH2's at 12psi on my KTM 520SX. The other problem could be that it says "Yamaha" on it. :D

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Sag is set

My sag is perfect. It falls within spec, 1" of free sag, and 3.8" of race sag. I needed to turn the adjuster on the rear shock about 2 clicks, but it falls where it should be now. Id like to get the forks adjusted before I drop the tubes down 10mm or so. Maybe add a bit of fork oil 5wt?

"The other problem could be that it says "Yamaha" on it"

Thanks motojunkie, I really needed that! :scream:

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
OUCH!

The thing is, I know how well the KTM's turn/handle/etc., and after riding a 520, Im wondering if I'll ever get my WR to handle even close to that! :eek:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Wayne - The problem is too much power and too much weight. ;)

Seriously though, I've found that suspension is the best modification to make on any dirtbike.

Are you still interested in going to the enduro this Sunday or the turkey run on the 26th?

motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
I don't think it's too much power. I'm going from memory here, so don't blast me - 520 ~ 51 HP, 426 ~ 47 HP. I think weight, and bad ergonomics is the issue with the WR 426. Just my opinion. :)

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Too much power was never a problem with me. Too much weight, well thats always been the problem! :)
Seriously, I love the bike. It makes enough power for any applications I can deal it. The suspension in stock form has been great for taking the big hits-a trade off I 'll gladly make since I mx the bike half the time. Once I get this front end issue solved, I will be much happier. My front tire was way too pressurized, my sag wasnt set, my compression was turned up, and my low speed rebound a bit high. I am making a test run tonite to see if these things were the cause of the problem. If it still sucks, Im dropping the tubes down 10mm, and going w/ .48 springs. Hopefully that will do it!

Woodsy, I cant make the enduro this weekend. I would love to hit the Turkey Run w/ you on the 28th. Give me a when and where, and I'll check it out w/ the wife. I may be up near Newburgh that weekend, so I'll be a little closer.

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
Yikes!, if you are trying to get it to turn better, do not put in the .48 fork springs. This will only serve to compound your turning problem. The current spring rate in your forks is not causing the turning problem, I promise.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Test ride

Well, I went on a quick test run last night. After fixing a few things, I noticed the bike is not as hesitant to turn as it was. This is with the sag set, the low speed rebound 2 clicks from stock, and the compression 2 clicks in. Now its probably just fine tuning, but at least that drift is gone.

Top Bottom