uoof1

Mar 25, 2002
I just picked up a 2001 wr426, that has not had the throttle stop cut yet. I looked on a web site that did a 99 wr, but my carb looks different. IS the throttle stop on the 01 the black allen screw towards the rear of the carb? THe web site describes a pin that is removed, but I am not seeing a pin. Thanks, Kevin

kevin426

Nov 12, 2001
it is the allen screw. i think they call it a pin because it only has theads half way up? good luck getting that thing out and take your time. it can be a pain in the butt. kevin

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Remove the coil, that will make it somewhat easier to get too.

My suggestion is to get familiar with the FCR carb! Don't be affraid to loosen the carb from the boots and jimmy it out of there a little (remove the coil, but the carb will still tilt out from the LEFT side of the bike.) That will make it a WHOLE lot easier, plus you can see how far the slide opens up and see how much you need to trim from the stop to get FULL throttle operation. And, you can see how much fuel that thing squirts, via the accelerator pump, when you twist the throttle. This will answer a bunch of questions you'll have next regarding the "BK" mod that you'll enevitably read about and do.

There is a butt-load of power available in a few cheap little mods: Gray wire, throttle stop, change needles (I run ELN), BK mod, YZ timing. There isn't $20 in ALL of these and it will garner you a, conservative, 40% increase in power over the stock, plugged up WR!

All that said, the BEST thing you can ever do to a WR is get a YZ seat/tank combo. If you wish to turn sharp, at all, ever, you need to get more forward on the bike. Keep an eye on ebay and www.thumpertalk.com for used tanks. I have a '98 tank on my '01 WR that I got for $50 and an SDG seat new for $80.

uoof1

Mar 25, 2002
Kevin and Scott, thanks for your reply. Following your advice I got it apart and ground down this morning, took care of the gray wire while I was there. Just got back from a little jaunt, and the thing rips compared to where it was. I will spend a little morre time on the bike before I consider advancing the timing.
As far as handling, I am coming off a KLX 650, so this bike is razor sharp compared to that. Probably not as stable though. Thanks again for your good advice. Kevin

Top Bottom