JoeAverage

Jun 22, 2000
Are the WR's good play bikes? They seem to have all the right stuff for trails, but can they be ridden as such? Gas and go? Putt-putt all day if need be? I know about the grey wire fix, is there anything else this bike needs or is lacking? How about fuel range? Sorry if these questions have been asked a million times already...

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
Yes, but...
The general concensus is if you want to putt-putt all day an XR is more comfortable. My WR does fine that way, but if you are at all agressive you will probably do more vroom-vrooming than putt-putting, it's just so much fun and at least as comfortable to push your limits on it.

I dual-sported mine and average 70 mi. on a ride. I don't hit reserve on a normal day. This includes some slow rocky trails, loose rocky and/or shale hills, and a good bit of high speed dirt roads. (45-80mph) ((shhhh!)).

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Oh yeah!

Ditto what Kramer said. I also feel that if you want to putt-putt, an XR might be the better choice. I opted for the 426 because of its power, and suspension. I ride it harder than I thought I ever would. I guess when you got it, flaunt it! And the monkey-butt never really hit me that hard, so the seat thing isnt an issue to me. Im sure you'll find that once you get used to the bike, you'll have more fun riding it somewhat aggressively, than slowly.

JoeAverage

Jun 22, 2000
Hmmm, so then coming off my RM to the WR would be a good transition? I flirt with the idea of owning a 4-stroke because of the maintenance (top end) differences and the fact that I really don't use my MX bike on the trail to its full potential ie., revving it out in every gear.. I came close to getting the KDX and even closer to the KTM's E/XC but the blue bike is a pretty one...

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
yes Joe, I think so. I came from an 86 RM125, then had 2yrs bikeless before I got my 400. I really didn't have any trouble with the transition. The more I rode it the better it seemed to be, though I was probably the one getting better. I chose 4 stroke mainly because I wanted to dualsport it, and didn't want to carry oil to mix at the gas stations. This technology applied to dirt bikes was just too much to resist.

One of the biggest advantages is that gear selection is not as critical as on the 2-smokes. This should be even more true of the 426 vs. my 400. Lug it (within reason) or rev it, the WR just doesn't care.

I should say at this point that alot of people have complained of stalling out in tight trails. It happens to me on occasion, but it's been my fault every time; I can't blame the machine.

Top Bottom