oticoyote

Sep 28, 2003
I'm going to buy a new bike in the Spring and have narrowed it to these three. I can get a pretty good deal on either in a 2003 model. I like the WR450 the best and had decided to buy it, but I am scared off by the Woodruff key failures everybody is talking about and Yamaha's seeming lack of support. Should I spend the extra money to buy a 2004 (would that help) or go with one of the others. I like the apparent reliability of the DRZ but it is a bit heavy. The KDX is nice too, but I don't like the idea that it hasn't been updated in years. It is definitely the cheapest. I can get the best deal on the DRZ. The WR is a bit pricey really for my budget but I could manage. I ride rocky trails, mostly 2 or 3rd gear. I'm no pro but I'm not a beginner either. I will not be racing the bike at all. Please...help me decide!

PS. KTM is not available in my area and neither is the KDX200

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
First of all, how priveledged you are to have such a good choice of bikes at such new years!
I think a WR would be fine for you che, but did you ever consider an XR?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The KDX hasn't been updated in 7 years and it's still a great bike. I say get one before 2006.

My oppinion:
CRF-cool looking XR
XR-too heavy, more of a dual sport, but really solid
DR-street bike with knobbies, heavy
KLX-a camo DR
WR-light, has power its a "you can ride it on a track trail bike"
KDX-!2 stroke!, reliable, light

has he looked at a RM/KX250F?

oticoyote

Sep 28, 2003
I thought about a 250 cc four stroke motocrosser, but I thought it might be a handful in the woods and take a fair amount of mods to make it trail-worthy. I must say, I really like the idea of the CRF250X by Honda. Might be exactly what I'm looking for. Never really considered Honda before. Don't really want an XR but I sure do like the idea of Honda reliability. Won't be any deals to be had on that bike though.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The CRF is even more of a race bike. The 04 KXF's are soposed to have a bunch of lw end power. I still stick with a KDX though cause it is more reliable and cheaper in the end.

Workman

Oct 26, 2003
Everything I have been reading is that the new CRF250 has the best low end power (the CRF250R anyway) and the KXF/RMZ are great too but seem to run more like a 125 in that they really begin to rip at mid to top end. But this is only what I have read. However I do know this. I bought a 2003 WR250F and experienced the same woodruff key problem as with the 450 and when I spoke to Yamaha, they wouldn't even recognize it as a problem with the WR250. So if you think you there is a lack of support with the 450s, dont even consider a WR250. I sold the bike after the run around I got from Yamaha and after having my intelligence insulted by there customer service. When addressing the woodruff key problem, they said "maybe you didn't change the oil correctly." Anyway I am now shopping for a KDX and after some good advice from fellow dirtriders I feel confident it will be the right choice. Good Luck.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
I got a KDX 220R almost a month ago, and am very satisfied with it. I put a 12 tooth sprocket on the front, and added a stealhy flywheel weight, both of which contributed greatly to a much improved responsiveness at low speeds on difficult trails. All of the power of a 2 stroke, and almost as tractable as a 4 stroke.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
The KDX hasnt been changed in years because it doesnt need it. The bike serves its purpose and gets the job done. It is a great bike for just play riding or can be hopped up with aftermarkets to even make it a competitive race bike. Low maintenance, reliable, and very fun. Not to mention it is probably the best bike for the money of any brand or model hands down. The quality bike you get for the money is incredible. Go KDX, I have never met a KDX owner that was not satisfied with their purchase plus with the money you save you can throw plenty of aftermarket parts on it to suit your individual needs and requirements.

lee42lee

May 16, 2005
I have to agree with the KDX. I have a 2001 220 and love it. Great bike, good power, very reliable, and the cheapest by far. To me there is no better trail bike than a KDX.

Lee Harrell

Jul 25, 2005
kdx 220 greatest trail bike there is. hands down cheapest least maintenance and the most fun, without ripping your arms off like the 2 stroke mxer's. hope you make the right decision. :ride:

punkrawker

Jan 2, 2006
01 220

i also just got an 01 kdx220 its my third bike the last i rode was an 04 crf230 the 220 is very sick my cousin rides an 02 yz125 and in a drag race i will honestly tell u its neck and neck to the inch its ridiculous my bike is stock and he has a jetted carb and shorty silencer weve only raced up to 5th gear and were dead equal but u gotta remember the 220 has 6 gears so if i ever find a straightaway with allowing room u better believe im gonna b taking his bike down

p.s. ive only been riding my 220 for a month and in the snow to and i love it its the greatest thing ive ever owned except for the magazines under my pillow and my sisters hand cream

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
I love my '01 KDX200 also, and it's cheap enough I can satisfy the urge to buy parts. Not necessarily because I need to, it's just because there's always neat parts and pieces calling my name. It has plenty of power to haul my 220lb self around with no problem.

Top Bottom