Wr450

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Nice and warm here sunday so I thought Id see how the 450 would do. Got it outside, hit the on switch and tried to start it with the elec start. 3 short burst and it would'nt start. Out with the kickstarter. 3 kicks(with tennis shoes) and it's fired up. Let it warm up and off to the fields we go. Still have 3-5 in of snow so I'm taking it easy, 1st and 2nd gear. The bike feels great, not big or bulky, almost like my 250. Let it cool down and fire it up again and off we go . This time I get on it a little more. Nice power, not explosive, nice and smooth. Have a little trail along the creek that I ride when I'm bored. Was really surprised going through the tight stuff how the bike would just tractor through, in the more open stuff the bike felt very light. Did'nt notice the xtra weight. Have a small ditch that I ride through, sloped on one side and about 2 1/2 ft strait up on the other side. I killed the bike with the rear wheel on the down side. Now I know that there's 2 or 3 spodley woods riders thats stalled or layed their bike down on a up hill and had a hell of a time trying to keep your balance and hold the bike, get the kickstartor out and start the bike without falling. Well no problem. Front tire and my feet were on top and rear tire in the ditch, hit the magic button and we'er outta there. Can't wait until it warms up and can really see what it does. The bike feels very lite and slim. The electric start is gonna be a life saver. The seat is a lot stiffer than I thought it would be, does'nt want to start cold with electric starter (maybe me) and gonna need to rejet. Have to replace the throttle stop screw with a yz screw. Seems like a lot of wires and cables on the handelbars. Looks like it's going to be tight for some hand guards. Lot of little things I'll have to work out, being that this is my first 4-stroke but I think Yamaha has finally has a good straight from the factory woods bike. Oh never did use the brakes. Gotta get used to the engine bracking.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds great.  I got the YZ because I didn't want to wait on the WR.  I would like to give a WR a spin though.  The YZ is a bit high strung stock when your in the woods.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
I thought that the YZ/WR450 didn't have much engine braking?

The YZ doesn't compared to the 426.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…