wrf shock linkage bearings..A TOTAL JOKE!!

cw242

May 17, 2000
i finally got around to tearing the new wrf 250 apart to grease all the bearings, i did expect to find little or no grease in them but to my horror i find the most abused bearings on a bike, the shock/swingarm linkage bearings had some kind of plastic/glue in them instead of grease??? no it is not hard grease!! diesel fuel dissolved it to some extent , enough to get the rollers apart and set them in some mobil 1 good old red grease.. be warned these bearings are not encased in a cage they are loose,if you lose one roller you are screwed, what a joke, how long could these possibly have lasted, there was no grease nor could you have ever put any type of lubrication on them,, no not even K-Y!!! pitiful!!:think :(

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Ive noticed the same. I think it is some type of plastic lube rather than a grease. It holds the rollers in place for assembly I think. It dissolves in solvent. Its been in Yamaha YZ's for a few years now.

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
ya..I was a little upset myself when I pulled mine apart.
My head set (where the triple clamps mount to the frame) was the same way. I took it all apart and re-greased it all. :think
So make sure you check these area's when you buy one!
Thats the only negitive about my bike.:D

Last edited:

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Yellow plastic stuff...

Same on the bigger YZs, I leave the plastic stuff in there. Seems to work like a cage of sorts, holding the bearings in place. But I think it is fine to remove it as well, maybe better since it will hold more grease.

There wasn’t much grease at all on my ’00 or my ’01 as delivered, maybe with the yellow plastic things they don’t need as much. Whatever...

cw242

May 17, 2000
yellow stuff

i guess its all in what your comfortable with,, for me a little grease seems to go a long way as long as you have good seals, maybe im old fashioned but the yellow glue junk just doesnt seem to help me sleep better at night!! :) :confused:

Top Bottom